• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving to LA?

ariggsby

I may be moving to LA in the fall, but I don't know the area well, and I was hoping people here could point me to some resources on the food scene. In particular, where would one go for things like:

exotic cheese

fresh fish

farmers' markets

I don't know precisely where I'd be in the area, though the job would be at USC if that narrows things down at all.

thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

I may be moving to LA in the fall, but I don't know the area well, and I was hoping people here could point me to some resources on the food scene.  In particular, where would one go for things like:

exotic cheese

fresh fish

farmers' markets

I don't know precisely where I'd be in the area, though the job would be at USC if that narrows things down at all.

thanks,

Andrew

Andrew,

I hope you do come to LA in the fall. Los Angeles does have a few good restaurants.

Going from UT to USC? Was it the 2007 basketball game or the 2006 football game?? :wink::wink:

USC is located south of downtown LA, which is experiencing a rennaissance of sorts. There are many farmers' markets throughout Southern California, especially the big ones in Santa Monica and Hollywood. There are a couple of fresh fish places in downtown LA. There is a good cheese store in Silverlake, an area between Hollywood and downtown LA.

That's it for now. Do get familiar with the LA area and look at a map. Los Angeles is quite big, kinda like Texas, ehh??

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

We were just at the Cheese Store at Silverlake the other day. We picked up a few awesome Spanish cheeses that were rock stars. I only regret we didn't pick up a bottle or two of Orin Swift's "The Prisoner" (a field blend of sorts). We had a snifter of it at a party over the weekend and it was an epiphany. They had a case stack of it in Silverlake and I ignored the owner's strong recommendation to buy some. But I digress . . .

We're a bit South of Los Angeles but make it up to various LA neighborhoods quite a bit for dining and shopping. There are plenty of great restaurants and you'll be kept busy for years with the myriad of hole-in-the-wall joints that dot the landscape.

Oh yes, and the Santa Monica farmer's markets, especially on Wednesdays, are legendary.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

To get yourself familiar before you come here, you might want to check in regularly with food section of the LA Times on-line. It's a great food section and in just a few short weeks, you'll begin to get an overview of what's going on. Also, once you get to the food section on-line, there's a link with a listing of most of the Farmer's Markets in and around LA environs.

Did I mention Surfas? It's a stand-alone restaurant supply, gourmet food and cooking store that, quite frankly puts Williams-Sonoma, Sur la Table and most else to shame. It's in Culver City which has been getting lots of press lately locally and nationally for its food, art, design, architecture and creative scene. That's in West LA . . . practically due west from USC and in 3 short years there will be a direct light rail connection between downtown Culver City (with a stop walking distance from Surfas) and USC.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

• 2 months later...
exotic cheese

fresh fish

farmers' markets

Cheese Store in Beverly Hills

Asian Markets, especially Korean, Japanese, Filipino, and Thai. Lots of places in Koreatown and downtown.

Russ Parson wrote about local markets in a recent LA Times article. Google it and I think you can still read it without signing up.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Second the Cheese Store in Beverly Hills. Beautiful place, really.

For fresh fish, look to the various 99 Ranch Markets -- they are geared towards the Asian community but seriously have the best and least expensive fresh fish. I used to frequent the one in Artesia on the corner of the 405 & 110 but know there are others.

As RJWong indicated, many communities have local farmers markets and although the Santa Monica one is often considered the biggest and brightest, I actually preferred the Hollywood one for "feel."

I feel like a broken record, but now living in NoCal, the things I miss about LA include the Japanese restaurants in Gardena (especially Shin-Sen-Gumi), Little India on Pioneer Boulevard near Artesia, the Cuban roast pork at Versailles restaurants, Zankou chicken, and the Mexican food...

Thanks for the broken record Carolyn. We're going to LA next week and my 92 yo Mom likes to go out every night. Since she like to eat at 5:00 Versailles will be a breeze.

Andrew, There is an abundance of ethnic and diverse food around USC. It was good when I went there 30 years ago. Cheese is easy, great fish is available and farmers' markets are some of the best in the country. The Southern California growing season is practically non-stop.

Did I mention Surfas?  It's a stand-alone restaurant supply, gourmet food and cooking store that, quite frankly puts Williams-Sonoma, Sur la Table and most else to shame.  It's in Culver City which has been getting lots of press lately locally and nationally for its food, art, design, architecture and creative scene.  That's in West LA . . . practically due west from USC and in 3 short years there will be a direct light rail connection between downtown Culver City (with a stop walking distance from Surfas) and USC.

Surfas took my breath away, as I've mentioned elsewhere on these forums. I've been to more restaurant supply stores than you can shake a whisk at, and, Baby, it's the best.

I live in Chicago but hit LA a couple of times a year because my daughter lives there. Versailles, Zankou, oh yes! Likewise Ranch 99 and the Hollywood farmers market. Pho Cafe in Silverlake. Korea Town.

With a car, you can source food as well or better in LA as anywhere in the country. Stan's right about the growing season. You're gonna love it.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 4 weeks later...

We were in LA a couple weeks ago. The Wednesday Santa Monica Farmers' Market is one of the best in the country. I'm pretty sure at the NW corner of 2nd and Arizona will be Fitzgerald's Fruit. He has some of the best stone fruit in the state. The market is large and great.

I'm a recent transplant and have to search for many of the things we take for granted in NYC.

Silverlake Cheese might be good - but no matter how many times I went in (I only lived around the block) they were outright rude and understandably the wines are a convenience item - but are absurdly overpriced. The selection and incredibly friendly service at Artisan Cheese Gallery, 12023 Ventura Blvd. Studio City, CA 91604 makes it worth a detour is you are on the east side.

Fortunately the Hollywood Farmers Market on Sundays is centrally located - so if you can't get to Santa Monica it's more then a worthy substitute for more varieties of heirloom tomatoes and plums then I have ever seen.

Get ready to explore!

• 3 weeks later...

Having just moved from Atlanta to Santa Monica, we have been blown away by the farmers market. OMG!!

I never really thought that meyer lemons existed in real life - but here they were, in abundance!

And the avocados - I have been making TONS of guacamole! :laugh:

Enjoy!

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com