• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spanish mackerel

chappie

The neighborhood seafood market is stocked with beautiful Spanish mackerel right now. I enjoyed Pacific mackerel pan-fried years ago, and believe I've had the Spanish mackerel in sushi.

Does anyone have any recipes or methods to cook it?

They're only $2 a pound, so I want to pounce while they're available.

As it looks like a family member of our mackerel I would smoke it.

Sea(maldon....whatever)salt the fillets for an hour then, **EDITED** wash off the salt and dry thoroughly, then using hard wood sawdust smoke GENTLY for 20-30 minutes.

This is my mini set up with a Rainbow trout ready for smoking

gallery_52392_4349_55969.jpg

....and here are some mackerel fillets I smoked last september/october within hours for capture.

gallery_52392_4349_33029.jpg

......and I just happen to be smoking some pigeon breasts ATM.

Go on give it a whirl, you know you want to !!!!!

Edited by Henry dV (log)

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

The neighborhood seafood market is stocked with beautiful Spanish mackerel...

Which one do you think it is ?

Two or three of the species listed are sawara or sub-types of sawara, in Japanese. Of course, their all being known as 'Spanish Mackerel' in the market suggests they're alike from the consumer's point of view.

Yes, there is such a thing as sawara sushi. I don't remember eating any, but it looks like it (mostly ?) gets the 'shime' (light pickling) treatment, as mackerel does.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

cure it with a little citrus juice and sliced onions, maybe a bit of star anise or peppers to provide a kick. slice it thin if you like the cooked texture, or keep it whole and slice after curing for a couple of hours if you like the more raw mouthfeel. it makes an amazing ceviche

My usual methods would be to pan fry or smoke them. They are a soft fish so if you grill them you would need to use a grill basket so they don't tear up or you could do them in foil on the grill. Fresh mackerel is nothing like the fish in a can. They are a fatty fish so they smoke well and won't dry out. The skin is very thin and will just about melt away so there is no need to skin them.

I catch a good many spanish mackerel in North Carolina and Florida. It is a very good fish for smoking and is terrific simply broiled when it's fresh.

Brush with melted butter, season with salt and pepper and run under a hot boiler until just done. Squeeze of lemon, it's wonderful.

DTBarton has it right. If you've got good fresh spanish mackerel, just treat it simply as you would a Boston mackerel (they are closely related). Takes well to simple broiling, and baking, too. It also has an affinity with tomatoes -- the acidity helps balance the richness of the meat.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

The neighborhood seafood market is stocked with beautiful Spanish mackerel...

Which one do you think it is ?

Two or three of the species listed are sawara or sub-types of sawara, in Japanese. Of course, their all being known as 'Spanish Mackerel' in the market suggests they're alike from the consumer's point of view.

All I know is they're locally caught in or near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.