• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants Near The Public Theatre

jam jaw

Hey guys,

We're coming to the Apple once again to get our fill of culture, and exquisite food....

but we don't really know the area around 425 Lafayette Street, or the restaurants that are awaiting our sampling? Show time is an early 7pm, so we want to be close to the venue?

Can anyone out there in e-gullet land offer some suggestions?

They'd be greatly appreciated.

Colors and CB are both very close (the general consensus on Colors is underwhelming) to there.

I assume that you plan on eating in the 9-10 range? frankly...you could still go almost anywhere in the city...but within relative walking range are Balthazar, Public, Momofoku Noodle, Momofuku Ssam, Bread, 15 East, Grand Sichuan (St. Mark's), Savoy and the Tasting Room, just for starters. Not much further than that you have the entire "north-of-union-square" restaurant row.

I highly recommend giving us your general culinary inclinations as well as a general price range (including wine, tax and tip).

It's a 7:00 performance!

the number of places that are even open at 5 or 5:30 is quite limited. I hope they meant after the show.

I forgot about 5 Points which is very close to the theater (and it has an early bird oysters and martini special)

For a good, inexpensive Italian meal, Bianca isn't far from the public at Bleecker and the Bowery...10 minute walk.

And there's the new tapas place on Bond St. called Mercat (45 Bond), but no reports as to the food yet.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1. WARNING re Bianca: It's small, and I have personally never been able to get in. (I guess they have these things called reservations . . . .)

2. WARNING re Mercat: Make sure it's actually opened, as as of its official opening day a couple of weeks ago and the weekend thereafter, it hadn't.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I've never had a problem getting into Bianca, though AFAIK they don't take reservs. At 5pm, it should hardly be a problem...

Five Points is a favorite of mine, and quite as close as you'll get.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Hey guys,

We're coming to the Apple once again to get our fill of culture, and exquisite food....

but we don't really know the area around 425 Lafayette Street, or the restaurants that are awaiting our sampling? Show time is an early 7pm, so we want to be close to the venue?

Can anyone out there in e-gullet land offer some suggestions?

They'd be greatly appreciated.

The neighborhood is called the East Village, and it's the best neighborhood in Manhattan for a diversity of good-value restaurant food. The problem is that many restaurants in the neighborhood don't open until 6. Consider having a snack before the show and a real dinner afterwards. If you want to go that way, get an order of gyoza at Menkui Tei on Cooper Square (extension of 3rd Av.) between St. Marks and 7th St., and then afterwards, you'll have your pick of hundreds of restaurants, depending on what you'd most like to eat and how much you'd like to spend (etc.).

Michael aka "Pan"

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. This is my first post, so wasn't as detailed as I could have been, but the suggestions were numerous, grand and perfecto.

bite before, and embarassment of riches of choices after.

Thanx again.