• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Mama: Cook Off

annecros

My husband is a technology nut and video game junkie. We have a Wii (and a Playstation, and an XBox, etc....).

If I know my customer, I will send him the link and he will buy it today. I'll report back.

I want one! This will certainly make for a less stressful post-drinking video game than the Wii surgery game, Trauma Center, where every time you fail an operation, the patient dies and main character quits medicine!

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

I saw this trailer online a little while ago, this will be purchased for the apartment Wii. I look forward to the quick chopping and food flipping without all of the bleeding and dirty floors.

My wife bought me this game for the Nintendo DS (little handheld game system that can use a stylus as an input.) Its definitely a cutesy game, but it is quite a bit of fun. I don't know you'd learn anything about cooking by playing it, but it may be a source of inspiration. It definitely is useful to show off the unique inputs in the DS (you make all the flipping, cutting motions with the stylus, and blow into the microphone to "cool off" hot foods!) I imagine it would be just as fun on the wii.

Edited by Lordof7 (log)

• 1 month later...

I rented this over the weekend, and I agree, fun and cheesy. The chop-chop-chopping is fun in a four-year-old banging on pots and pans kind of way, which is awesome. Some of the mechanics are neat - I got a kick out of following the arrows to knead dough... but I draw the line at digitally peeling potatoes and carrots for fun! I also totally failed the recipe where you make pierogies.

Definately worth a rental if you have a Wii, but I probably won't buy it.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

I think the best is when you extract the ink from the squid for the spaghetti with squid ink dish. I had no idea that was how it was done. It's good that this game exposes people to cooking exotic dishes like this.

Buttering the pan is fun. I always privately consider this a mini-game in real-life cooking so it's funny to see it in a video game.

Edited by Kent Wang (log)

• 2 weeks later...
I must admit, this makes me smile.  :biggrin:

Cooking Mama Website

I even entered my Meatloaf #400 and Tickle Me Cake in their Recipe Contest! :cool:

Okay, so maybe it's not the $1 million Pillsbury Bake-Off, or even, so far as the level of competion is concerned, the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off, but it was kind of fun, and my grandson, Zack, will be thrilled! :smile:

Congratulations, Steve! Your meat loaf recipe is one of our winning entries.

Please send me your full address so I can send your aprons out to you and your grandson. Wear them proudly in the kitchen!

Stay tuned to see your recipe posted on the site with the other winning recipes.

Thanks for your participation!

~Mama

SB (supposes he'll have to buy a Nintendo Wii now? :rolleyes: )

Cooking Mama Website

I even entered my Meatloaf #400 and Tickle Me Cake in their Recipe Contest! :cool:

Okay, so maybe it's not the $1 million Pillsbury Bake-Off, or even, so far as the level of competion is concerned, the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off, but it was kind of fun, and my grandson, Zack, will be thrilled! :smile:

Please send me your full address so I can send your aprons out to you and your grandson. Wear them proudly in the kitchen!

Stay tuned to see your recipe posted on the site with the other winning recipes.

~Mama

Hay, there is nothing wrong with that meatloaf recipe!

A real accomplishment.

Now Wii users all over the world will be virtually preparing your meatloaf.

• 2 weeks later...

Cooking Mama Website

~Mama

I received my Cooking Mama Cook Off aprons today. I've never worn an apron, but I suppose I should try and set a good example for Zach, (age 3 1/2), who tends to get rather dirty in the kitchen. :rolleyes:

Apparently the aprons only come in one size, so Zach's will have to be shortened considerably or he'll look like a mini butcher! :laugh:

SB (not that that wouldn't be cute :wub: )