• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emblematic NY eats

Zoticus

My first visit to NY will be as a tourist over the Easter holiday, and I'd like to eat emblematic NY food. I'm thinking of Peter Luger's and Katz's Deli, thoughts on these and any other quintessential NY eats very much appreciated.

Z.

When I was a kid my parents would drag us on Sunday to the Lower East Side, the land of my immigrant ancestors. We'd stop at Gus's for pickles, a cheese shop for farmer cheese, and Ratners for onion rolls, blintzes and pierogen. But Ratner's is gone, so my favorite is Russ & Daughters - was just there the other day - it's a few doors down from Katz's - traditional Jewish "appetizing," which amounts to the best breakfast you'll ever have. (Is that word even used outside NY?) They've got incredible smoked fish (lox, sable and whitefish), addictive whitefish salad (that I firmly believe is laced with crack cocaine - I can't stop eating the stuff), assorted cream cheese, herring, etc. I love this place, and it's one of the very few left of its kind. And other than Barney Greengrass I was hard-pressed to think of others. Uniquely New York. You can't sit at eat at R&D which sucks if you're a tourist, but you should stop in anyway. You could make a picnic out of it if it's nice out. Barney Greengrass serves breakfast/brunch.

If you're here over Easter, it's Passover too, but that shouldn't affect your ability to get Jewish food at non-kosher places like Katz's. For crying out loud, R&D sells chicken soup - I'm sure they'll have bagels during passover.

Just a few doors down from R&D is Yonah Schimmel knishes. Quintessential jewish new york as well, it's been there forever.

Edited by daisy17 (log)

Another quintessential NY food is pizza. There are a number of places to get great pizza, but one that I would recommend in particular for someone coming to NYC for the first time is Grimaldi's located under the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn. In addition to great pizza the views of Manhatten are fantastic and it is around the corner from Jacques Torres Chocolates. Do try to be there by noon as that is when the pizza oven and thus the pizze are at their best and you can still get a seat.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

A knish at Yonah Schimmel's.... some kinds of smoked fish at Russ & Daughters.... definitely something from a Halal cart.... an Ess-A-Bagel and an H&H bagel (you'll want to compare and contrast) .

And of course the pizza is a must. Lombardi's, Grimaldi's or the Bleecker Street John's are all good bets for coal oven without making a major schlep but for the classic NY slice select carefully from the thousands of places offering them. A handful such as famous Joes or one of the Ray's (there are so many different "Ray's" that I'm not sure whcih is good and which isn't but I think it's Rriginal Ray's down in the Village that is better than average).

I guess the hot dog things is classic NYC but I come from a town where superior hotdogs are the norm and NYC dirty water dogs just never impressed me much. But Gray's Papaya or Papya King are good for a quick bite cheap.

And how about cheesecake? Junior's of Brooklyn has an outpost in Grand Central Terminal. Oh... and a bag of those Hot Nuts from a street cart. It's not as if the item itself is uniquely NY but it's so typical of the the street food available there that you won't find in too many other US cities.

Luger's never seems better or as good as the previous trip. Not that I'm there often but over the last 10 years, each visit has been not as good as the previous. Maybe the competition is catching up. Katz although, never disappoints.

When you are wandering around Chinatown, and you want a light bite, (and a break from Kosher and Halal) go to Big Wong. It's on Mott just south of Canal. Look for a big yellow sign on the West side of the street. It's Communial seating so just hold up a finger for each person in your party. The Roast Pork on rice is Amazing, ask for a couple sides Of Ginger scallion sauce It's so good you will want to drink it.

The Dumpling House on Eldridge Btw Broom and Grand. Have the Fried Pork Dumplings.

Yeah, that's f#%kin' New York. You got a problem with that?

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE