• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquor / Liqueur truffles

Sthitch

Thanks for the info Kerry. I'll try and get a hold of his book but it's pretty slim pickin's here on the Isle of Wight (UK) for professional pastry reference material at the bookstores. Gawd I miss Chapters! Anyways, do you know how to go about making a gellee layer for truffles? I've always wanted to learn.

Putting together a recipe from a couple of others in Peter Greweling's Chocolates and Confections it would appear that

180 g port

100 g very thick applesauce

80 g glucose

40 g sugar

10 g apple pectin

330 g sugar

160 g glucose

20 g lemon juice

Mix the 40g sugar with pectin. Put port, applesauce and 80 g glucose in pot, whisk in pectin mixture. Bring to a boil, add the 330 g sugar, and return to a boil, add 160 g glucose. Cook over low heat to 106 C (or 75 Brix if you have a refractometer). Stir in lemon juice and pour into 12 by 12 inch frame. You would then top with your choice of ganache, cut and dip.

I'm clueless about the subject (gellee), but interested in the concept of a layer over the ganache in truffles. Would a port jelly do the same thing? I know I've seen such a thing...somewhere. I think it was a clearer thing, like a dark brown apple jelly.

Thanks again Kerry! I'm going to give your recipe a try.

A few questions:

Is it 180 grams of port or 180 ml?

Would this be the same amount in fruit puree or compound if I wanted to change the flavour?

very thick applesauce: should I cook homemade applesauce further to evaporate excess liquid? Would that be sufficient?

I don't have a frame, would a parchment-lined sheet pan work? Thanks!

highchef the first time I ever knew about the gelee layer in truffles was when I had Thomas Haas passionfruit truffle. The flavour literally bursted in my mouth. More intense passionfruit flavour than if it had been mixed into the ganache base, in my opinion. Plus the fact that it wasn't a round truffle, it was a square piece made for a different eating experience. He tops off each square with a coloured "plaque" to distinguish the flavours. http://www.thomashaas.com/

tammylc that sounds like another interesting way to do it.

Edited by 2010 (log)

Thanks again Kerry! I'm going to give your recipe a try.

A few questions:

Is it 180 grams of port or 180 ml?

Would this be the same amount in fruit puree or compound if I wanted to change the flavour?

very thick applesauce: should I cook homemade applesauce further to evaporate excess liquid? Would that be sufficient?

I don't have a frame, would a parchment-lined sheet pan work? Thanks!

180 grams. (which will turn out to be about 180 ml, since it is a liquid with a density close to 1) It would be the same amount for another liquid or a fruit puree.

Taking homemake apple sauce and either cooking it more in a pan, or placing on a cookie sheet in the oven and stirring occasionally should work for the apple sauce. The commercial stuff is called superpomme apparently.

Sheet pan lined with parchment should work, or even a baking pan of equal dimensions lined with plastic wrap.