• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquor / Liqueur truffles

Sthitch

My newest hobby is making various types of chocolates (something my employees love), so I was looking through Jacques Torres web site looking for some new ideas and saw that he advertises Champagne truffles made with real Champagne. I am curious how one would get the Champagne into the ganache. Would it displace some or all of the cream? Should it be reduced? Or mixed in after the ganache has been made? I would love any advice I can get on accomplishing this.

Champagne in 'Champagne Truffles' almost always refers to the fact that cognac is used in them, not champagne (the bubbly kind). The term 'Champagne' refers to the mountain-region of France (mid-Atlantic) where the grapes are grown for cognac.

David L.

Edited by David Lebovitz (log)

Champagne in 'Champagne Truffles' almost always refers to the fact that cognac is used in them, not champagne. The term 'Champagne' refers to the mountain-region of France (mid-Atlantic) where the grapes are grown for cognac.

David L.

David,

Thanks, but Torres specifically says that he puts Tattingers in his truffles, so he is talking about the bubbly stuff.

Marc de Champagne is brandy that's made with the remaining grape skins & seeds after pressing the grapes for Champagne. It adds more flavor without adding much liquid.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

Thanks Wendy...

I'd be interested to know how those truffles turn out. To use real champagne (the kind with bubbles) seems like a waste, since once you mix it with a ganache, I can't image being able to taste it. Using marc de champagne seems like the way to get some flavor in there.

If you really wanted champagne taste, you perhaps could reduce it down. (Which I can't image any Frenchman doing!)

Still, I'd prefer to drink a nice glass of champagne with my truffle, instead of within.

David

Edited by David Lebovitz (log)

David,

Where I saw it was his descriptions of truffles that he makes, not on one of his shows. This question was asked for more than one reason, the first because it sound interesting, and a demi sec might actually give a nice honey flavor to the truffle, and also to figure out how to best add any wine to the chocolate for flavor.

• 2 years later...

Hi all!

I would like to introduce Chambord truffles ( I know...a little late!! ) for Val. Day and would like to know if anyone has a recipe. I was thinking of a dark chocolate ganache infused w/Chambord ( raspberry ) liqueur and some raspberry pulp put in there. Also, I plan on making them rectangular and dipping them in white chocolate with a heart transfer design on them. Anyone would like to join me in experimenting w/these! Thanks and take care

Try this

1# dark chocolate

8 oz butter

3/4 cup raspberry puree

2 tbps chambord.

Depending on how strong you want the liquor taste, you will have to work with puree & chambord balance to hand make truffles.

This makes a very nice hand made truffle.

Mark

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Thanks so much mrose! Just was wondering, could I sub. good quality, no sugar added raspberry jam for the puree? Thanks!

Hi all!

I would like to introduce Chambord truffles ( I know...a little late!! ) for Val. Day and would like to know if anyone has a recipe. I was thinking of a dark chocolate ganache infused w/Chambord ( raspberry ) liqueur and some raspberry pulp put in there. Also, I plan on making them rectangular and dipping them in white chocolate with a heart transfer design on them. Anyone would like to join me in experimenting w/these! Thanks and take care

Thanks so much mrose! Just was wondering, could I sub. good quality, no sugar added raspberry jam for the puree? Thanks!
Hi all!

If I were going to use the no sugar added jam I'd put it in the food processor with a bit of water, then put through the finest blade on the food mill to remove all the seeds. Your center will be sweeter than with puree.

You probably can, not sure of the proportions (approx the same). It will be a bit sweeter. I would just make sure the 1st ingrediant is raspberry rather than sugar

Mark

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Hi all!

If I were going to use the no sugar added jam I'd put it in the food processor with a bit of water, then put through the finest blade on the food mill to remove all the seeds. Your center will be sweeter than with puree.

For my 2 cents, I'd say that I agree with Kerry with the addition of saying that I think it's going to be too sweet. Unless you're planning to use a 77%+ bittersweet... I think you'll get a better result by just cooking up your own raspberry puree with fresh raspberries.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I think I'm going to go with John's suggestion and cook up my own puree. Here's the recipe I plan to use:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/raspberrypuree.html ( BTW, great site !)

Also, for all Ontarians, esp. those around Toronto, does Bruno's or similar sell raspberry puree?

Hi all!

For my 2 cents, I'd say that I agree with Kerry with the addition of saying that I think it's going to be too sweet. Unless you're planning to use a 77%+ bittersweet... I think you'll get a better result by just cooking up your own raspberry puree with fresh raspberries.

We used to use chambord, but we discovered Bonny Doon Vineyard's Framboise to be much superior.

Try this:

18 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped

6 oz Framboise

1 oz butter

1 oz trimoline

Heat Framboise and add it to the chocolate. Emulsify and add butter and trimoline. This makes a very stiff ganache which can be cast in a frame, cut into squares and dipped in bittersweet chocolate.

Also, for all Ontarians, esp. those around Toronto, does Bruno's or similar sell raspberry puree?

I don't know about Bruno's but Qzina sells frozen boiron raspberry puree in 1 kg containers.

Just be aware if you have to have them ship the pure , it will cost you more the shipping than the puree.

I use fresh or frozen raspberry , I pass them thru a fine sieve and then warm it up , warm up the cream ,mix them and pour onto the chocolate.Cool slightly add butter and chambord.

Vanessa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Just finished all my Vday deliveries before the big snow storm hits...Kerry, I heard it's already coming down where you are! I wanted to thank mrose for his wonderful Chambord truffles recipe, I used it and it was really well received. I tweaked it a bit and the recipe is below. This got me thinking about how selflessly everyone here shares recipes, offers advise and hears vents...thanks all!

Mrose's tweaked Chambord truffles ( that really turned out well!! )

1 lb dark choc ( I used Valrhona Eq. Noir )

3 oz cream

5 oz butter

2/3 cup raspberry puree

2 tbsp Chambord liqueur