• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas Takes over the Beard Awards

tetsujustin

The best chef southwest region had four out of the five nominees from Texas, each from a different Texas city no less.

David Bull (formerly) of The Driskill Grill in Austin, Sharon Hage of York Street in Dallas, Monica Pope of T'afia in Houston, and Andrew Weisman of Le Reve in San Antonio. The fifth nominee is Nobuo Fukada of Sea Saw in Arizona.

I'm not completely sure, but I'd think the consensus winner of the four would be Andrew Weisman, though if I had to bet, I'd put money on Sharon Hage just because of the fact the Beards seem to like to reward chefs who have been nominated several times and less on chefs who are making their first appearances on the ballot.

Fukada also might could win cause he's been on there a previous time and I've heard from a friend who frequents there that the food in excellent.

I find the amount of Texas chefs surprising just because Nevada is also in the region and quality aside, the chefs in Vegas would seem more likely to earn recognition because of the big names.

But I guess it's the Beards. Weird stuff goes around in there.

Didn't La Reve win last year?

It's awfully convenient that each of the Texas cities was awarded a nominee.

I think most of the big names in Las Vegas like Robuchon are disqualified from the regional awards as they have not been in the region for the last three years.

I think most of the big names in Las Vegas like Robuchon are disqualified from the regional awards as they have not been in the region for the last three years.

That's true, but I think it means that the chef has to be in the region for three years, not just the restaurant. Either way, I don't think Robuchon himself will ever garner the nomination, though his chef de cuisine probably will. So there's people like Mark LoRusso (who's at one of the Mina restaurants, I forget which) or Jeremy Lieb at Le Cirque who probably could've gotten a nomination. The same happened for Corey Lee at The French Laundry last year for best chef california, not discounting his talent at all, but I'm sure the name of the restaurant had something to do with it.

Either way I'm glad Texas gets a nod. Especially after the Wynn turns 3 years old and most of their chefs I'm guessing will get nominations.

Edited by tetsujustin (log)