• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi in Boca Raton

jesteinf

Here is the regional search for Baca at eatsushi.com

http://www.eatsushi.com/regional/searchsus...?msanumber=8960

It looks like Military Trail, which will be about 10 to 20 minutes west of where you will be staying, is loaded with them.

I haven't eaten in any of them in the area (I used to live further north in that county, and I am now further south in this one), but know people who stomp around Boca, and will ask them for tips.

Anne

PS Here are the Palm Beach Post food editor's "Best of:" picks

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/restaurants/c...best_sushi.html

Kyoto's in Delray Beach, would actually be very close to you. North on US1.

Edited by annecros (log)

I don't think great - or even very good sushi is in the cards in Boca (or anywhere else in Florida for that matter). Unless you're looking for a Nobu type place. But - if you're looking for seafood - my favorite seafood restaurant in Boca is Legal Seafoods at the Town Center Mall. Does a nice job - especially for a (small) chain restaurant. Robyn

I don't think great - or even very good sushi is in the cards in Boca (or anywhere else in Florida for that matter).  Unless you're looking for a Nobu type place.  But - if you're looking for seafood - my favorite seafood restaurant in Boca is Legal Seafoods at the Town Center Mall.  Does a nice job - especially for a (small) chain restaurant.  Robyn

Oh, sheesh, sushi is going nuts down here right now. The Fish House in Key Largo just opened a second, higher end place next door, that specializes. Places all over Miami. Worth Avenue in Palm Beach has a couple of places that are really going strong. Even Publix is doing sushi right now, but I wouldn't reccomend it.

Edit: Oh, I just thought of a couple of good seafood places in that area. Old Calypso in Delray and also the Sunday House in Boca

Sunday is good seafood, boss!

Legal Seafoods has gone south lately. You can get it in just about a third of the airports anymore as well. The best of those is at City Place in West Palm. But with Mark's open there now, and Saitos, you'd be nuts to eat there while at City Place.

Edited by annecros (log)

I hate to be blunt - but I have eaten sushi in a lot of places - all over the west coast of the US (from LA to Vancouver) - Hawaii - and Japan. The sushi in Florida is at best mediocre (whether you're talking Boca or Broward or Jacksonville). I'd rather have a local fried fish sandwich.

I haven't been to Legal Seafoods in Boca since 2005 (when it was still pretty good). Can't vouch for it now. Robyn

I hate to be blunt - but I have eaten sushi in a lot of places - all over the west coast of the US (from LA to Vancouver) - Hawaii - and Japan.  The sushi in Florida is at best mediocre (whether you're talking Boca or Broward or Jacksonville).  I'd rather have a local fried fish sandwich.

I haven't been to Legal Seafoods in Boca since 2005 (when it was still pretty good).  Can't vouch for it now.  Robyn

Now, Robyn, no need to feel inhibited! :biggrin:

You haven't eaten sushi in South Florida in some time, if I understand correctly. Then there are these photographs from Destin:

Destin Thread

Some of the sushi NancyH ate was better than others. But to say there is none in the entire state of Florida is a bit of an overstatement. And considering that Boca Raton was founded by a Japanese farmer growing pineapples, it would be a little silly to discount the Asian population there.

In my opinion. And, for what it's worth.

Edited by annecros (log)

Destin is in the Panhandle - not south Florida.  And that sushi looks exactly like what we get on every sushi buffet here in Jacksonville.  Robyn

Umm, weren't we discussing the ENTIRE state of Florida. If you can get that on a buffet, clue me in.

You are confusing me now robyn. Slow down.

As usual, our posts reflect our own outlooks on life, don't they? :raz:

Actually, one really wonderful sushi place (aside from the very high end and fabulous places that DO abide in South Florida, like Shoji) is Matsuri, in Miami. I lived in South Beach, and had a studio in downtown Miami, for many years, and still made regular visits to Matsuri, which is located in a strip mall on Bird Road. It's best to go early, as they fill up with many Japanese who seem to only dine in large groups, Marc Jacobs wearing UM students, and artsy fartsy types, too. The uni is incredible, always good, or it isn't available. They also make wonderful tamago, which to me is a true indication of a good kitchen. Try the specials, too. The chefs have a great repertoire, and always offer unusual things. As I said, a lot of Japanese frequent the place. In fact, we were introduced to the restaurant by a Japanese client, many moons ago. The sushi chefs slice sashimi beautifully, and the presentation is old school, no fat American chunks! Very nostalgic if you're a long time sashimi eater, and very delicious, too! There are a lot of toher great places for sushi in Miami, but this is really my favorite. The bar is small, though. We almost always end up at a small table, and the place is not really quiet, either.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

As usual, our posts reflect our own outlooks on life, don't they? :raz:

Actually, one really wonderful sushi place (aside from the very high end and fabulous places that DO abide in South Florida, like Shoji) is Matsuri, in Miami. I lived in South Beach, and had a studio in downtown Miami, for many years, and still made regular visits to Matsuri, which is located in a strip mall on Bird Road. It's best to go early, as they fill up with many Japanese who seem to only dine in large groups, Marc Jacobs wearing UM students, and artsy fartsy types, too. The uni is incredible, always good, or it isn't available. They also make wonderful tamago, which to me is a true indication of a good kitchen. Try the specials, too. The chefs have a great repertoire, and always offer unusual things. As I said, a lot of Japanese frequent the place. In fact, we were introduced to the restaurant by a Japanese client, many moons ago. The sushi chefs slice sashimi beautifully, and the presentation is old school, no fat American chunks! Very nostalgic if you're a long time sashimi eater, and very delicious, too! There are a lot of toher great places for sushi in Miami, but this is really my favorite. The bar is small, though. We almost always end up at a small table, and the place is not really quiet, either.

Cool. Thanks and will plan on taking my hubby, the sashimi vaccum, there for a treat.

I don't think people understand, or appreciate, that there is a very large asian population here in South Florida. My son in law being one of them.

Well, we went to Kyoto in Delray Beach for lunch today. It was pretty good, but certainly not the best sushi I've ever had (not that I was looking for the best sushi ever, just saying).

We started with an order of the Black & Blue Toro. Seared pieces of toro with a little bit of foie gras and caviar on top. While all components of this dish are great individually, they just didn't work when put together.

The sashimi was all of very good quality. I was able to try the toro, salmon, kampachi, marlin, and scallops. I had no complaints with anything but the scallops, which may have been a bit past there prime.

We also had two rolls. One with tuna and salmon wrapped in cucumber (also had some masago and asparagus inside) and another with shrimp tempura one the inside and avocado on the outside. Both were pretty tasty and nicely presented.

If in the area and craving some sushi, I would go back.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Destin is in the Panhandle - not south Florida.  And that sushi looks exactly like what we get on every sushi buffet here in Jacksonville.  Robyn

Umm, weren't we discussing the ENTIRE state of Florida. If you can get that on a buffet, clue me in.

You are confusing me now robyn. Slow down.

No reason to be confused. You posted pictures of sushi from Destin (taken from a thread about Destin).

We have a fairly large Asian population here in northeast Florida - and there are pan-Asian buffets all over the place. Most of them serve sushi. It is neither good nor bad (the latter meaning inedible) - just terribly mediocre. Like just about every piece of sushi I've ever had in Florida - whether I'm eating at an all you can eat buffet or a high end restaurant. It is definitely not a type of cuisine I'd recommend for visitors (we have a lot of good stuff - but sushi isn't one of them).

The only exception to this general rule that I can recall is a place on I-Drive in Orlando called Ran Getsu. It is a branch of a Tokyo restaurant. A lot of the staff is Japanese - and a lot of the fish is Japanese. Expensive - but an extraordinarily good Japanese restaurant for Florida. Robyn

• 11 months later...