• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Los Angeles: Where to get fried chicken?

jsmeeker

FRIED CHICKEN?? YOU COME OUT TO LOS ANGELES AND YOU WANT FRIED CHICKEN??!!

Okay, here are a couple of my secret places for fried chicken ...

My personal favorite is Dinah's Fried Chicken in Glendale on San Fernando Rd., north of Los Feliz. That is not to be confused with Dinah's in Culver City on Sepulveda & Centinela, north of LAX. Mind you, the one in Culver City isn't bad, but it's been a while since I ate there.

And there's Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles in Hollywood on Gower, north of Sunset Blvd., near the Palladium. Don't go there on the weekends late at night unless you want to wait a long time. They stay open until 4:00 a.m., after the clubs shut down. They have one in Pasadena, but that's definitely not on the Westside. They might have a couple more places as well.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

FRIED CHICKEN?? YOU COME OUT TO LOS ANGELES AND YOU WANT FRIED CHICKEN??!!

Okay, here are a couple of my secret places for fried chicken ...

My personal favorite is Dinah's Fried Chicken in Glendale on San Fernando Rd., north of Los Feliz. That is not to be confused with Dinah's in Culver City on Sepulveda & Centinela, north of LAX. Mind you, the one in Culver City isn't bad, but it's been a while since I ate there.

And there's Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles in Hollywood on Gower, north of Sunset Blvd., near the Palladium. Don't go there on the weekends late at night unless you want to wait a long time. They stay open until 4:00 a.m., after the clubs shut down. They have one in Pasadena, but that's definitely not on the Westside. They might have a couple more places as well.

LOL

Having a discussion with other people someplace else and fried chicken came up. I started to get hungry for it.. :)

There is a Roscoe's on Pico I found out. It would be more convenient than the Holylwood location.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

It's been quite a while but Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch near Marina del Rey used to have pretty good southern fried chicken.

Ohmygod... what a flood of memories you just brought back to me! I had completely forgotten about Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch!!! I used to deliberately get off the freeway and drive through Marina Del Rey just to get their chicken!!! :wub:

• 11 months later...

I made FINALLY made it to Roscoe's. Went t there Wednesday for lunch. It was pretty damn good.

(wow.. can't believe I asked about this almost a YEAR ago)

I made FINALLY made it to Roscoe's. Went t there Wednesday for lunch.  It was pretty damn good.

(wow.. can't believe I asked about this almost a YEAR ago)

Which location? The one in Hollywood? And what did you order? Scoe's #1? Herb's #3?

The one on Pico. It's close enough to the office to make a lunch trip doable.

I had Scoe's #1 Waffle with 2 pieces of chicken. (dark meat)

• 7 months later...

Not on the westside, but my favorite place for southern fried chicken is Johnny Reb's:

http://www.johnnyrebs.com/JR_Main.html

My favorite location is in North Long Beach, which recently reopened after a grease fire gutted the building (mmmm....grease....). The also have locations in Victorville and Orange County, which I've never been to.

Because they make it to order, it takes a little longer than the other items on the menu. I usually order some fried green tomatoes to tide me over. : :biggrin: Just be careful with your first bite. Because it's fresh from the fryer, that first crunch releases hot steam from the moist chicken.

Cheers,

Michael