• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RDU: Barbecue

viva

I'm a new (less than a week-old!) transplant to the Raleigh-Durham area, working in the RTP area.

My birthday happens to be on Wednesday, and I've informed my project team colleagues that they will be taking me out to dinner that evening! :wink: I'm craving good North Carolina barbecue.

I've read the recommendations here for Allen & Sons in Chapel Hill, and The Q Shack in Durham. Both sound really good.

Any others I should be checking out?

Also looking forward to perusing the other recommendations y'all have made here over the next 8 months.... what better way to get to know a new city than to sample the restaurant scene?

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I'm a new (less than a week-old!) transplant to the Raleigh-Durham area, working in the RTP area.

My birthday happens to be on Wednesday, and I've informed my project team colleagues that they will be taking me out to dinner that evening!  :wink:  I'm craving good North Carolina barbecue.

I've read the recommendations here for Allen & Sons in Chapel Hill, and The Q Shack in Durham.  Both sound really good.

Any others I should be checking out?

Also looking forward to perusing the other recommendations y'all have made here over the next 8 months.... what better way to get to know a new city than to sample the restaurant scene?

Bullocks on Hillsborough is ok. It's a staple around here, but it's not my favorite although you must try their hush puppies.

Yeah, Allen & Son is really the only "real" barbecue joint in the Triangle. That's because they actually cook their Q over wood. Other places use commercial smokers (or, egad, gas/electric cookers without smoke), which can be good and still be referred to as "barbecue", but it's just not the same.

Enjoy!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Excellent - you guys confirmed it for me - birthday dinner at Allen & Sons!

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Allen & Son is open only until 5pm on Wednesdays, until 8pm Thu-Sat. You should probably call to confirm, (919) 942-7576.

Good luck!

Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit. -Oscar Wilde

Be aware that for the most part BBQ places serve no tallboys, tipples or toddys. The strongest drink you'll find there is sweet tea.

I like the desserts I've had at A&S. I've heard they are now micorwave desserts to warm them up. If it were me, I'd ask them not to do that.

I did call in advance ... thanks for the tips, guys! We wound up doing something else as Allen & Son weren't open that night. Wound up eating at a completely non-BBQ place - Jibarra for some pretty good mexican and margaritas.

In the mean time, we checked out a BBQ place in RTP for lunch - Danny's BBQ on Miami and TW Alexander. Pretty tasty and close to the office. But I'm sure it doesn't even begin to compare to wood-smoked BBQ.

>But I'm sure it doesn't even begin to compare to wood-smoked BBQ.

I've been in NC for 10 years. Been eating at Danny's for 9, in 4 different locations. If I ever move away, Danny's would probably be the first place I'd hit on a visit. Best fries in the Triangle, above average q, and stellar sauce. It isn't Carolina style, but it is damn good.

Plus those corn nuggets...

~Nibbs (pork plate - fries and slaw)

I liked that Danny's had 4 different sauces - I cut up my chopped pork sandwich into 4 pieces so that I could devote proper attention to all 4.

The Hot - my favorite. Hot without being ridiculously hot, but also flavorful.

The Mustard - nice! I usually don't care for a mustard-based sauce but this one was good. I think it would be even better mixed half & half with The Hot.

The Vinegar - my first exposure to a vinegar-based sauce. I liked it - but I still wanted to add The Hot in addition to The Vinegar.

The Smoky-Sweet - least favorite. In general I am not a fan of a sweet BBQ sauce unless it is deliberately fruity and I am going for a specific dish.

Next time I am sticking with chopped pork plate (no sandwich, just the meat), fried corn, and the blackberry cobbler. :wub::wub:

Edited to ask - so, where must one travel in the NC day-trip-distance area to find the best 'cue? I've read about Lexington, is that a tourist trap or are their claims to having the best in the state legitimate?

Edited by viva (log)

I would definitely add lexington. Not a tourist rap at all. Give's you the opportunity to try several different cues places that cook over wood in a small area. You could also add places in winston, gso and mocksville/davie county while your in the area. add wineries to the list and you have a weekend

I liked that Danny's had 4 different sauces - I cut up my chopped pork sandwich into 4 pieces so that I could devote proper attention to all 4.

The Hot - my favorite.  Hot without being ridiculously hot, but also flavorful.

The Mustard - nice!  I usually don't care for a mustard-based sauce but this one was good.  I think it would be even better mixed half & half with The Hot.

The Vinegar - my first exposure to a vinegar-based sauce.  I liked it - but I still wanted to add The Hot in addition to The Vinegar.

The Smoky-Sweet - least favorite.  In general I am not a fan of a sweet BBQ sauce unless it is deliberately fruity and I am going for a specific dish.

Next time I am sticking with chopped pork plate (no sandwich, just the meat), fried corn, and the blackberry cobbler.  :wub:  :wub:

Edited to ask - so, where must one travel in the NC day-trip-distance area to find the best 'cue?  I've read about Lexington, is that a tourist trap or are their claims to having the best in the state legitimate?