• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry shops!

mjmchef

Just moved out to Jersey.(Bergen County area) and I am having trouble finding any good high end pastry shops.Coming from Long Island there was plenty to choose from. I'm looking for individual desserts as well as danish, cakes and mini pastries. Food Attitude in Long Island city is about the best I found so far. Pretty good product. So any help would be appreciated.

Just moved out to Jersey.(Bergen County area) and I am having trouble finding any good high end pastry shops.Coming from Long Island there was plenty to choose from. I'm looking for individual desserts as well as danish, cakes and mini pastries. Food Attitude in Long Island city is about the best I found so far. Pretty good product. So any help would be appreciated.

Petite Pastisserie in Dumont. Excellent!

I am looking for yummy cookies called "Rainbow cookies," that have a taste like marzipan, are three different colors, surrounded by chocolate..kinda a 7 layer cake look with different colors?

Does anyone know where I can get really delicious ones in Manhattan...willing to travel from one end of the city to the other for these.

I am looking for yummy cookies called "Rainbow cookies," that have a taste like marzipan, are three different colors, surrounded by chocolate..kinda a 7 layer cake look with different colors?

Does anyone know where I can get really delicious ones in Manhattan...willing to travel from one end of the city to the other for these.

Welcome! They're my favorite cookies too. You'll have more luck posting in the NYC boards, as this forum focuses on NJ (with a heavy emphasis on Northern NJ). I can't help you with locations in Manhattan, but for those interested in where to find these cookies here in Jersey the Shop-Rite in Ramsey has them fairly often (although less often recently) and my "Best Bang for the Buck" bakery has them regularly, Belmont Bakery in North Haledon.

Also, be careful, as more and more shops seem to be selling what I call "fake" rainbow cookies. These are not marzipan, but more like Italian cookies. They're OK, but the marzipan ones blow them out of the water. These cookies tend to have only three layers (as opposed to the 5-7 layers usually found in the marzipan cookies), and the colors tend to be much brighter than the marzipan cookies. When I go to a store and they tell me they have rainbow cookies, I always ask, "REAL ones"? Sometimes the Shop-Rite in Ramsey sells the "fake" ones. Belmont Bakery always has the real ones.

Also, for those looking for high-end pastries, I agree with those who recommended Patisserie St. Michel in Teaneck. They're expensive, but they make the best pastries in the area, hands down. They're nice folks too, and they always give you samples!

I want to give a shout out to Gina's Panificio in Montclair on Walnut St. Gene, the baker/owner, is classically trained and is all about fresh (full fat!!) ingredients and great recipes. He does wonderful sweet stuff as well as savory. His palmiers and almond croissants are wonderful, as are his mini jalapeno corn muffins, which my husband and daughter are mad for. Check him out -- i'd like to know what others think.

Completely agree about Gina's Panificio...love their brioche and those mini corn/jalapeno muffins as well!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Completely agree about Gina's Panificio...love their brioche and those mini corn/jalapeno muffins as well!

May I third that emotion over Gina's? The brioche bread is a staple in our house. The apple turnover the best I've had (I really want to know how he makes that super thin sugar crust). Not as fond of his buttercream layercakes...but you could stick a birthday candle in his prosciutto bread and make me very happy! Their scones (golden raisin and pecan, esp) are exemplary, as well.

I am keen to go the Balthazar bakery in Englewood...is that worth it?

May I third that emotion over Gina's? The brioche bread is a staple in our house. The apple turnover the best I've had (I really want to know how he makes that super thin sugar crust). Not as fond of his buttercream layercakes...but you could stick a birthday candle in his prosciutto bread and make me very happy! Their scones (golden raisin and pecan, esp) are exemplary, as well.

I am keen to go the Balthazar bakery in Englewood...is that worth it?

Also, another vote for Gina's. Love his whole wheat bread. That is a staple in my home, as well. Ditto on the corn muffins..

B & W Bakery carres them in Hackensack

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler