• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday brunch in Vancouver

BekkiM

• 3 weeks later...

Not to SHILL...

...I have been working on a new brunch menu. Going to keep everything local, with international recipes. Here is where I am at so far - help and suggestions would be appreciated.

FRENCH TOAST $10

BUTTERMILK PAIN PERDU FILLED WITH PEACHES/ HOT PEPPER JELLY/BIRCH TREE SYRUP & CINNAMON CRÈME FRAICHE

CROQUE MONSIEUR $10

CROQUE MADAME $11

BIRCHERMÜESLI $8

YOGURT WITH DRIED FRUIT, HONEY AND GRANOLA

OMELETTES $12

SERVED WITH BROWN BUTTER SMASHED POTATOES, PROVENCIAL OVEN ROASTED TOMATOES, CHERVIL & ALMOND SALAD

FRITTATA ALLE PATATE LEEK, POTATO, PECORINO CHEESE

FRITTATA ALLE SALSICCIESPICY SAUSAGE, CIPPOLINI ONION, OREGANO, GORGONZOLA

OMELETTE FINTARRAGON, SNIPPED CHIVES, GRUYÈRE CHEESE

OMELETTE DU CHAMPIGNONWILD MUSHROOMS, THYME, CHĘVRE CHEESE

EGGS BENEDICT $12

SERVED WITH SALADE MAISON & BROWN BUTTER SMASHED POTATOES

CANADIANCANADIAN BACK BACON

FRENCH PORK BELLY, PROVINCIAL TOMATOES, TARRAGON - BÉARNAISE SAUCE

ITALIAN CHORIZO, MARINARA SAUCE, ROMANO CHEESE

WET COASTSMOKED SOCKEYE SALMON, PRESERVED LEMON

This is very rough, first draft - ping me ideas and suggestions on what BC/Vancouver is all about at Brunch.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Not to SHILL...

...I have been working on a new brunch menu. Going to keep everything local, with international recipes. Here is where I am at so far - help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Looks pretty good to me, Chef. The French bennie is right up my alley. ;)

Perhaps another sweet dish?

When will this start?

Quentina

Not to SHILL...

When will this start?

I need a week or two to test and try the details - tonight I was working on the Italian Benny - I am poaching the eggs in tomato sauce - really cool effect and flavour --- it is great to be back experimenting and pushing the boundries of flavour.

Brian.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Not to SHILL...

When will this start?

I need a week or two to test and try the details - tonight I was working on the Italian Benny - I am poaching the eggs in tomato sauce - really cool effect and flavour --- it is great to be back experimenting and pushing the boundries of flavour.

Brian.

So good. I tried that this summer, with great result. Got the idea from here...

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/09/eggs-in-...ontest-winners/

Great to see you back in the saddle! We shall be coming in soon!

Quentina

Exactly!!! But with the huge influence of Spanish cookery in Vancouver (similar food source, availability etc etc) I used a thin tomato (Italian) sauce spiked with Banyuls vinegar. The extra acid set the eggs nicely. Great, clean look and the fats where cut nicely by the vinegar. Tomorrow I will add HEAT – some different chilli peppers....

I will keep you posted – but will probably have to change threads.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Exactly!!! But with the huge influence of Spanish cookery in Vancouver (similar food source, availability etc etc) I used a thin tomato (Italian) sauce spiked with Banyuls vinegar. The extra acid set the eggs nicely. Great, clean look and the fats where cut nicely by the vinegar. Tomorrow I will add HEAT – some different chilli peppers....

Speaking of Spanish, can I put a request in for kick ass Churros? Light, crispy on the outside, a bit of chew in the middle, dipped in the richest dark hot chocolate....

Quentina

Speaking of Spanish, can I put a request in for kick ass Churros? Light, crispy on the outside, a bit of chew in the middle, dipped in the richest dark hot chocolate....

Now that is the perfect brunch food! With a couple of shots of espresso - you will be able to conquer the world. Let me see what I can do....great idea!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

• 2 weeks later...
Not to SHILL...

Oooh...I'm hankering for brunch this weekend. Is the brunch menu ready yet Chef Fowke? I see it's now mentioned on the website but no menu up yet...

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

• 4 weeks later...

Is pair bistro still serving brunch? It used to be sundays last year.

Moved away from Kits but it was my go to place for hangover sundays.

Great prices and stellar (non-grease spoon) food.

I recommend the crab cake eggs benedict or the french toast --quite possibly the best french toast I've had in the city.

If you ask really nice they may make you a mushroom latte around noon if you are a mushroom junkie like me.

• 1 year later...

Finally got into Medina for brunch the other day, and it was as great as I expected it to be. I don't know how they do it, but something simple-sounding like the cassoulet (2 fried eggs on baked beans, saussison de Paris, double smoked bacon, and andouille) becomes something outstanding. Brunch menu here.

Two Chefs and a Tablewas good as well. The hours for their brunch are quite limited - 10 to 2 on Sat/Sun. The french toast was tasty.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato