• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday brunch in Vancouver

BekkiM

My husband, son, and I are going to be in Vancouver in a couple weeks for a single day (Sunday) and I have been tasked with finding us a great brunch location. Buffet is fine (I'm not usually a fan of buffets--if I'm paying good money for a meal, why would I want to wait on myself?--but for brunch it's okay), sit-down works too. What's the best place to go and do I need to make a reservation?

Thanks!

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

I was there recently (August) and went to brunch. One of the best croque madames I have had in a long time. You need to take a taxi, but well worth it. http://www.feenies.com/

Here are some pictures on my travel blog (along with other places I hit during my stay): http://blissfulgluttontraveleats.blogspot....-vancouver.html

Hope that helps!

Bekki,

HERE is a not so recent thread about good brunch places. Almost all of the recs stand up today ... but to be safe, go to the last post and work your way backwards.

My favorite is still the Cafe Artigiano on Hastings (Downtown) although I haven't been there since the ownership change.

A.

Bekki,

HERE is a not so recent thread about good brunch places.  Almost all of the recs stand up today ... but to be safe, go to the last post and work your way backwards.

My favorite is still the Cafe Artigiano on Hastings (Downtown) although I haven't been there since the ownership change.

A.

Excellent chocie! My favourite is the Uovo Napolitano and the yogurt granola cup. The coffee is good too.

Went to rugby on broadway just east of forth, very reasonable brunch and tasty as well, we had our 10 month old with us and it was no problem so they are kid friendly. hope that helps.

I think the best buffet brunch is at the Pan Pacific Hotel at Cafe Pacifica, although it is on the pricey side ($48 per person), so a couple weeks ago we went to the Hotel Vancouver at Griffin's restaurant and it was really good($30 per person). Much smaller that Pan Pacific, but still a good selection of food.

M

I think the best buffet brunch is at the Pan Pacific Hotel at Cafe Pacifica, although it is on the pricey side ($48 per person), so a couple weeks ago we went to the Hotel Vancouver at Griffin's restaurant and it was really good($30 per person).  Much smaller that Pan Pacific, but still a good selection of food.

M

Really? We ended up there for reasons best left unexplained last Sunday and I thought it was terrible. Paltry selection of seafood, poor baked goods, the eggs benedict with salmon was with dry, overly fishy cooked salmon, not smoked salmon or lox, and the regular benny had some kind of ham that was so gluey it was like Spam. And the hollandaise was a perturbingly florescent yellow and a cloying texture. The sausages were thick, tasteless, and possibly undercooked. Small consolation: waffles. Hard, lukewarm waffles. :hmmm:

I would rather have spent the extra $3/person and gone to the Waterfront for their Sunday brunch - I haven't been in some time, so possibly it isn't as good as I remember it to be.

Or remind myself never, ever to do a brunch buffet again. :unsure:

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

I think the best buffet brunch is at the Pan Pacific Hotel at Cafe Pacifica, although it is on the pricey side ($48 per person), so a couple weeks ago we went to the Hotel Vancouver at Griffin's restaurant and it was really good($30 per person).  Much smaller that Pan Pacific, but still a good selection of food.

M

Really? We ended up there for reasons best left unexplained last Sunday and I thought it was terrible. Paltry selection of seafood, poor baked goods, the eggs benedict with salmon was with dry, overly fishy cooked salmon, not smoked salmon or lox, and the regular benny had some kind of ham that was so gluey it was like Spam. And the hollandaise was a perturbingly florescent yellow and a cloying texture. The sausages were thick, tasteless, and possibly undercooked. Small consolation: waffles. Hard, lukewarm waffles. :hmmm:

I would rather have spent the extra $3/person and gone to the Waterfront for their Sunday brunch - I haven't been in some time, so possibly it isn't as good as I remember it to be.

Are you talking about the Pan Pacific or the Hotel Vancouver?

M

Actually i think you are talking about the Hotel Vancouver. Wow, it sounds like you had a pretty bad experience......i was there with a group of 12 people and everybody enjoyed the food, good to know that they are not very consistent. I prefer a menu brunch normally, buffet brunch is usually a once a year kinda thing. Talking about eggs benidict though, I did have an amazing one not too long ago at Cassis on Pender, with sable fish, it was so good. Does anyone know if they are still open for brunch?

M

Actually i think you are talking about the Hotel Vancouver. Wow, it sounds like you had a pretty bad experience......i was there with a group of 12 people and everybody enjoyed the food, good to know that they are not very consistent. I prefer a menu brunch normally, buffet brunch is usually a once a year kinda thing. Talking about eggs benidict though, I did have an amazing one not too long ago at Cassis on Pender, with sable fish, it was so good. Does anyone know if they are still open for brunch?

I'm pretty forgiving, but this was probably one of the worst brunch experiences I have ever had in Canada (don't even ask me about Oroville, WA), and it was $30/person to boot.

How is the brunch at the Waterfront these days? Still as good as I remember?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Gee, I had brunch with the family at Griffins over a year ago and it was just fine. Guess it's really gone down. Anyway, I would second Feenie's. I've done brunch there twice, once with friends and once with the kids, and both times it was great.

But hey, why can't I find a place that serves pickled herring and sour cream with brunch? Back in Toronto (at least at the places I frequented) it was a staple.

Paul B

Had a nice brunch at Provence on West 10th a couple weeks ago. Glad that I booked ahead, as the room is busy and reservations looked like they were a must. The only thing that I don't like about the room is that is a little loud. Food and service was good. The menu has a good selection of sweet or savoury, which both my dining partener and I appreciated. Thinking of going again soon.

• 5 months later...

Aurora brings back brunch and even adds lunch!

http://www.aurorabistro.ca/index.htm

I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself :biggrin:

---

Eggs

Truffled Scrambled eggs with Canadian bacon, thyme and maple syrup on potato hash

House made duck bacon with poached eggs, hollandaise, sweet corn relish on potato hash

Smoked sablefish and potato hash with poached eggs, hollandaise and tomato preserve

Dessert

Fresh Little 5 Spice Donuts with warm Maple Syrup

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Aurora brings back brunch and even adds lunch!

http://www.aurorabistro.ca/index.htm

I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself  :biggrin:

---

Eggs

Truffled Scrambled eggs with Canadian bacon, thyme and maple syrup on potato hash

House made duck bacon with poached eggs, hollandaise, sweet corn relish on potato hash

Smoked sablefish and potato hash with poached eggs, hollandaise and tomato preserve

Dessert

Fresh Little 5 Spice Donuts with warm Maple Syrup

I've just (joyfully) updated my ongoing breakfast/brunch file -- those little doughnuts have been haunting my dreams, as I never had a chance to try them before Aurora discontinued their brunch. Thanks, Fud!

^

That is awesome. Reservations for breakfast spots are hard to come by. Most popular places make you wait. Nice to be rewarded for good planning sometimes.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 1 year later...
Bumping this up.  Any new weekend brunch recommendations - near downtown/west end/kits for preference.

Sadly Aurora Bistro is closed, but there's lots of new places that have opened.

Downtown weekend brunch? Chambar's sister, Medina: http://www.medinacafe.com/

The newly re-opened DBBistro Moderne (a Daniel Boulud creation) is now doing brunch. I have yet to make it there - perhaps this sunday - but given the history of the Chef Patron I would expect it will be superb.

http://www.dbbistro.ca/

Cheers

GB

We had brunch at DB Bistro Moderne this morning - delicious classic bistro fare (I had a croque madame, and H had the duck confit poutine; both were well prepared and accompanied by a very nicely dressed green salad). I like the look of the redone room. Very comfortable (although they could turn down the music volume a tad). Gracious service. A bit pricey for what it is though.

Thanks for the suggestions HKDave and chefgregory, and for the report run2eat.

Discretion being the better part of valour we decided that neither trudging through the snow nor driving was on today - next weekend perhaps.

Cheers,

Anne