• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dips, cold or hot

stellabella

Something I tossed together a little while ago was pretty nice; it's sort of a riff on the peanut dip that comes with satay.

You gently heat equal amounts of Vietnamese shrimp paste (it looks like shredded...something...immersed in bright red chili oil) and panang curry paste in a small saucepan, until it begins to sizzle (add oil if you need but sparingly), and then stir in some ground nuts and coconut to thicken (I'd say about a tablespoon total to about a tablespoon each of the pastes, but err in favor of the dry ingredients a little), and some chicken stock to moisten. Simmer it a little while and it will start to come together, with a float of red chili oil on top, and have a thick but kinda chunky consistency. Add fish sauce for saltiness. You're aiming for salty-sweet, with chile heat and complex curry flavors in the background.

It's pretty good when still hot, with ice-cold veggies dipped in. I don't know how well it woud translate to a bag-lunch environment, though, unless you have access to a microwave to gently reheat it. You do need to stir it up every now and then, as it's not a stable emulsion and it'll separate into oil and goo if you don't.

Jaymes - is that the cheese spread in the little jars??? Kraft, I think?  Or something else?

I used to use the sharp cheddar spread that came in those little squeezable tubes. But you can use any sharp spread.

I've never met a recipe of Jaymes' that I didn't like. This sounds almost like a Welsh Rarbit, but thicker maybe? I've got to try this now!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

here is my favorite regular dip for chips ..crackers or veggies it makes a lot but it does not last

I love it with crispy sliced jicama and red peppers best

1 package of cream cheese

1 container of sour cream

a huge hand full of fresh herbs of your choice (I love the traditional chives and parsley)

a tbl of dried onions

1 tsp granulated garlic

2 packets of Sazon the one with achiote and cillantro

fresh cracked pepper

and a scoop of good New Mexican ground red chile

dump it all in the food processor and whirl until smooth taste and salt if you think it needs it

I have also added a seeded tomato to this...roasted peppers.. ... chipotle in adobo

this is not a hard and fast recipe you can change it anyway you want to

enjoy

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Reading the "What is your most requested recipe?" thread reminded me of this dip, the recipe for which I'm always asked to share:

Beer-Cheese Dip

1 C good, strong beer - no "lite" types

3 6-oz pkgs prepared sharp cheddar cheese spread

2 T butter - room temp

1/2 yellow onion, coarsely chopped

1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped

1 t Worsty

1 1/2 oz bleu cheese (or more, to taste)

1 large round loaf of bread

Put all ingredients except bread into blender or food processor and process until thoroughly combined.

Dig out center of bread to make a well to hold about 1 1/2 cups. Place on large platter. Tear the bread you dug out into "dipping size" chunks and arrange around the loaf. Pour the beer-cheese dip into center.

After the bread chunks are gone, get a sharp, serrated knife and place on platter for guests to cut bread "bowl" into more chunks.

I am so making this one tonight! this sounds insane!!!!

Piglet 

you pressed my nostalga button with this topic

since I was a child of the 70s I ate a lot of chips and dip ..we loved to concoct!

a particular munchie food... we all loved was clam dip and Wise potato chips

here is the basic clam dip recipe

1 8 oz package of cream cheese

1 cup sour cream

1/2 cup mayo

1 cup minced clams drained well (fresh are best!)

minced chives and parsley about 1/3 cup

1 Tble New Mexican chile

1 tsp fresh cracked pepper

1 tsp Kosher salt

couple of good shots of Worcestershire

and a lime squeezed

beat together until smooth and dippable and serve with Wise chips or whatever you like to dip into clam dip!

back in the day we would be drinking beer if we could get away with it ..but usually Cokes and have a selection of Drakes cakes for dessert :wub:

at least we made our own dips!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

A bit of refrigerator/pantry clean out this evening led to a big pan full of Southwestern Caponata. Cubed peeled eggplant sauteed with diced onion and minced garlic until softening. Add in one can Ro-tel tomatoes, one small can tomato sauce, cumin, ancho chile powder, oregano, Penzey's Salsa seasoning, salt and pepper, half a jar of drained and rinsed sliced salad olives, a couple of tablespoons of drained and rinsed capers, one large diced roasted red pepper, one third cup each sherry vinegar and sugar, and a handful of golden raisins. Cook down for about 10 to 15 minutes and allow to cool.

This was very good on crackers and I suspect will be even better tomorrow when it's cold all the way through.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hummus is a top contender on my list as is Ina Garten's Carmelized Onion Dip. Boudin Dip is always requested by my family:

12 oz boudin, warmed up slightly in the micro so that it crumbles easily

24 oz sour cream

1 bunch green onions

piquante sauce- 8-12 oz or to taste

Cajun seasoning and cayenne to taste.

Combine and serve with tortilla chips.

Stop Family Violence

Paula Wolfert's Muhammara (on recipegullet)

is about the ultimate.

(Roasted red peppers, walnuts, red chili, cumin, breadcrumbs

pomegranate molasses, a dash of cumin, s&p, lemon juice, etc.)

It's very forgiving and can be tweaked to individual tastes;

e.g. I always use much more pom molasses than her recipe

calls for, and it's delicious either way.

Tzatziki!

It's especially nice if you don't want to spoil the healthiness of fresh veggies with a fatty dip.

32-oz plain yogurt (non-fat is fine)

2-3 cucumbers, seeds scooped out, cut into chunks, then whizzed in a blender with about a cup of water until finely chopped

A bunch of minced fresh dill weed

Minced or pressed garlic and fresh ground black pepper to taste

1 T EVOO

Strain the excess water out of the blended cucumber, then stir into yogurt and strain through a cheesecloth for at least an hour. Stir in remaining ingredients and refrigerate for an hour or so to let flavors meld.

I've also added minced onion and tomato at times; both are nice additions.

All of these dips sound delicious. Going in the opposite direction from dips that have lots of different fresh ingredients, I'm going to give you one that you will always be able to make even when the cupboard is utterly bare--and it's good!

Mayonnaise

Thai chili-garlic sauce

Maybe some lemon juice depending on your mayonnaise

Try that on crab cakes some time, too.

• 1 year later...

So my girlfriends sister is getting married, and I was asked to whip up a few items for the bridal shower. Im already throwing in some cheesecake from Mr. Delicious, but I also am working up a veggie tray. The only sauce I have so far is a balsamic honey sauce that I've been tinkering with. What I need are one or two more really solid dips(creamy or otherwise), to complete the platter. I have been searching the internet in vain for days, and I just can't find anything that screams Delicious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So my girlfriends sister is getting married, and I was asked to whip up a few items for the bridal shower. Im already throwing in some cheesecake from Mr. Delicious, but I also am working up a veggie tray.  The only sauce I have so far is a balsamic honey sauce that I've been tinkering with. What I need are one or two more really solid dips(creamy or otherwise), to complete the platter. I have been searching the internet in vain for days, and I just can't find anything that screams Delicious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried Kim Shook's coobook? Some GREAT stuff here: http://www.recipecircus.com/cgi-bin/recipe...login=Kimberlyn

HTH

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

So my girlfriends sister is getting married, and I was asked to whip up a few items for the bridal shower. Im already throwing in some cheesecake from Mr. Delicious, but I also am working up a veggie tray.  The only sauce I have so far is a balsamic honey sauce that I've been tinkering with. What I need are one or two more really solid dips(creamy or otherwise), to complete the platter. I have been searching the internet in vain for days, and I just can't find anything that screams Delicious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried Kim Shook's coobook? Some GREAT stuff here: http://www.recipecircus.com/cgi-bin/recipe...login=Kimberlyn

HTH

I second the motion. The Hot Bacon and Swiss Cheese dip is absolutely fantastic with broccoli and cauliflower florets. I also made baby tomato "roses" on the tiny wooden fork type picks which went like wildfire with that dip. I have one of the tiny 2-cup crockpots and I think I refilled it at least half a dozen times - 30 people. And, I had a lot of other dips and things but this got the most action.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hummus. I use Martha Rose Shulman's recipes from Entertaining Light or Mediterranean Light (they're similar, but not exactly the same).

Roasted red pepper hummus if you want some variety.

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

Do you know what sort of vegetables you are going with? That might help narrow down exact flavors...

If you have a balsamic/honey dip, that is a tangy/sweet option. I'd round that out with something creamy and something salty. I'd go with hummus or some sort of bean dip for the latter, in large part because you can easily make it vegan (which may or may not be an issue).

These are all great suggestions. I can't believe I didn't think of hummus. The only issue with the tomato roses is that I also have to do all kinds of sushi prep and rolling on this particular day. So I gotta be able to make my sauces on Thursday, come in on saturday morning, and put the platter together.

HTH

I second the motion. The Hot Bacon and Swiss Cheese dip is absolutely fantastic with broccoli and cauliflower florets. I also made baby tomato "roses" on the tiny wooden fork type picks which went like wildfire with that dip. I have one of the tiny 2-cup crockpots and I think I refilled it at least half a dozen times - 30 people. And, I had a lot of other dips and things but this got the most action.

That recipe looks wonderful, but no suggestions as to which potential dippers are best. Does this work equally well with chips, crackers, etc., as it does with veggies?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

HTH

That recipe looks wonderful, but no suggestions as to which potential dippers are best. Does this work equally well with chips, crackers, etc., as it does with veggies?

I found people mopping the stuff out of the little containers with chunks of bread after they had been removed from the table.

I think it will work with just about anything. Give it a try.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

These are all great suggestions. I can't believe I didn't think of hummus. The only issue with the tomato roses is that I also have to do all kinds of sushi prep and rolling on this particular day. So I gotta be able to make my sauces on Thursday, come in on saturday morning, and put the platter together.

I didn't make actual roses. I just speared cherry tomatoes on the little two-tined picks and cut a cross in the opposite end. Quick and easy.

Personally, I've never been a fan of hot dips on vegetables, but I might be alone in that.

I used to make a radish-dill dip that was easy, good, and very pretty. People could never figure out what was in it.

the most addictive dip/spread I've had in a long time was Anna Sortun's recipe for Whipped Feta with Sweet and Hot Peppers. It's in her cookbook Spice. Simple--good French feta and roasted red peppers, but it's the smoked Spanish paprika and spicier Aleppo pepper seasoning that makes people fight over the last bit. Good with veggies or pita chips.

I'm also partial to bean dips. Hummus of course, but recently improvised a white bean dip with roasted garlic and rosemary that was very yummy.

What I need are one or two more really solid dips(creamy or otherwise), to complete the platter. I have been searching the internet in vain for days, and I just can't find anything that screams Delicious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I found people mopping the stuff out of the little containers with chunks of bread after they had been removed from the table.

Made this last night for a small get-together. It really is delicious, but it's also very heavy and rich, so I wouldn't plan on serving it as an opener for a heavy meal. We had some Ritz Crackers handy, as they were called for in the recipe, and served the dip with that, but also, some toasted baguette slices. Our crowd thought that the plainer bread allowed the flavor of the swiss cheese to come through better than the Ritz. I can really see, though, how it would be superb with broccoli or cauliflower florets. I'm definitely taking this dip the next time I go to a gathering where I'm supposed to bring an appetizer.

Thanks Kim, and everyone.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

What I need are one or two more really solid dips(creamy or otherwise), to complete the platter. I have been searching the internet in vain for days, and I just can't find anything that screams Delicious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Made this last night for a small get-together. It really is delicious, but it's also very heavy and rich, so I wouldn't plan on serving it as an opener for a heavy meal. We had some Ritz Crackers handy, as they were called for in the recipe, and served the dip with that, but also, some toasted baguette slices. Our crowd thought that the plainer bread allowed the flavor of the swiss cheese to come through better than the Ritz. I can really see, though, how it would be superb with broccoli or cauliflower florets. I'm definitely taking this dip the next time I go to a gathering where I'm supposed to bring an appetizer.

Thanks Kim, and everyone.

Well, thank you all! I'm honored! Judging from the ingredients, I think that this is probably one of those Jr. League/community cookbook recipes. It is simple, but really, really satisfying.

• 10 months later...

Every time I make this recipe, the bowl gets wiped clean. Everyone wants the recipe.

Ingredients -

8 oz. cream cheese

1 cup of sour cream

1/2 lb. corned beef

1 cup grated swiss cheese

1 cup sauer kraut

1 tbs. ketchup

2 tsp. brown mustard

2 tsp. diced onion

Instructions-

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Allow cream cheese to come to room temperature or soft enough to mix. Drain and rinse sauer kraut thoroughly. When getting corned beef from the deli, get it shaved to ease with chopping up. Add all ingredients in a bowl and blend throughly. Pour into a lightly greased baking dish and bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes more or until nice and brown on top. Sprinkle with paprika and serve with toasted rye or pumpernickel bread squares.

Try it - You will like it!