• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia Recommendations?

david coonce

Hey y'all.

My wife and I will be in Philadelphia from June 14-18th. I can't really find a thread with blanket recommendations (I found one on hotel restaurants, but that's not really our thing...). If such a thread exists already I apologize and perhaps you can point me to it. Anyway, if there's not, can any of you Philadelphians point me to some good spots? We tend to go for the "slow foods" sort of places, but we like everything. Some names I've heard bandied -or am interested in - about include Django, Pumpkin, Amada/Tinto, Ventri, White Dog, etc. I know there's threads for a few of these, but any additional info would be great. Also, somebody should let Philadelphia restaurant owners know about this thing called the internet. I am sort of amazed that many of these restaurants don't seem to have a website, or at least a remotely current one.

And also, I want to do the tourist thing and get a real cheesesteak sandwich - corny, I know, but hey... so where's the best spot and how do I order it? I've heard there's an entire lexicon related to the ordering process. And I don't wanna go to that "English Only" place.

Thanks in advance

"A culture's appetite always springs from its poor" - John Thorne

Actually, I think this subject has been covered on this board before: I vaguely recall a similar query posted here within the last two months, which generated the usual passel of helpful responses from PhillieGulleteer food fans.

eGullet's search engine being what it is, however, I'm not surprised that you may not have unearthed this thread when you went on this board looking for advice.

So herewith the Short List of the Good Everyday Stuff You Will Want to Eat:

1. Reading Terminal Market. Pick any prepared foods vendor (but pass on Rick's Philly Steaks -- save your cheesesteak slot for one of those below).

2. Tony Luke's, but try the roast pork Italian before the cheesesteak.

3. John's Roast Pork, but try the cheesesteak before the roast pork, and beware--it's only open during the day.

And as a bonus, here are a few places that offer Great Cheap Eats You Probably Didn't Expect to Find in Philly:

1. Taqueria La Puebla. Try some of the more exotic varieties if you dare. A real bargain at twice the price.

2. Szechuan Tasty House. (Well, maybe you did expect this one, as Philly does have one of the country's oldest Chinatowns.)

3. Rangoon. Around the corner and up 9th from Szechuan Tasty House.

4. Pho 75. You will feel like you've been sent back to your high school cafeteria, but the soup is to die for.)

(Reading Terminal Market: 12th and Filbert streets, Center City. Tony Luke's: 39 Oregon Avenue, South Philly; Broad Street Line to Oregon station, then Bus Route 7 eastbound to Front Street. John's Roast Pork: Water Street and Snyder Avenue, South Philly; Broad Street Line to Snyder Avenue station, then Bus Route 79 eastbound to Water Street; construction in the area has the buses detoured in the vicinity of John's, so ask your bus driver for directions. Taqueria La Puebla: 9th Street between Ellsworth and Federal; Bus Route 47 southbound on 8th Street or Bus Route 47m northbound on 9th to Ellsworth or Federal streets; it's midblock on the east side of 9th. Szechuan Tasty House is on Arch Street just west of 9th, and Rangoon on 9th between Arch and Race. Pho 75: 12th Street and Washington Avenue; Broad Street Line to Ellsworth-Federal, then Bus Route 64 east on Federal to 11th and Washington; Pho 75 is in the Asian shopping center that stretches from 11th to 12th on Washington's south side.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I always think anyone visiting Philly who loves food should hit the Italian market also. It's on 9th street in South Philly between Christian and Washington streets. Like a little trip to Europe without the plane fare.

Much good prepared food and beautiful stuff to take home and cook. Personal faves include Fiorella sausage (between 8th and 9th on Christian), Claudio's and DiBruno's (on 9th) for cheeses and meats, Fante's for all kitchen equipment (on 9th) too many butchers and produce mongers to mention.

Lorenzo's at 9th and Christian makes a good cheesesteak (I like mine provolone wit', i.e. provolone for cheese and yes to fried onions).

Good roast pork next door at George's and excellent hoagies north a couple blocks on 9th street at Sarcone's deli.

See some of these and many other Philly casual eateries at the venerable Hollyeats.com in the Philadelphia section.

http://hollyeats.com/

Have fun!

Thanks guys.

My wife has been to Reading market, she swears by some kind of Amish Apple dumplings there, so we'll definitely hit that up. Also impressed by DiBruno's online cheese shop, and Fiorella's looks amazing too.

RE: Taqueria La Peubla - is it more southern Mexican-style- i.e. lots of slow-cooked meats, not a lot of cheese, etc? Chicago Mexican food is my favorite - I'm less impressed by tex-mex.

What do you think of White Dog? I love their commitment to "using food to bridge cultures," etc., but is the food good?

Thanks guys.

My wife has been to Reading market, she swears by some kind of Amish Apple dumplings there, so we'll definitely hit that up. Also impressed by DiBruno's online cheese shop, and Fiorella's looks amazing too.

RE: Taqueria La Peubla - is it more southern Mexican-style- i.e. lots of slow-cooked meats, not a lot of cheese, etc? Chicago Mexican food is my favorite - I'm less impressed by tex-mex.

What do you think of White Dog? I love their commitment to "using food to bridge cultures," etc., but is the food good?

The recent sentiment with the White Dog is that the food is not as admirable as their aspirations. We last went about five years ago and were not impressed, and rumor is that it has gone downhill since then.

At the Reading Terminal Market, make sure to hit DiNic's for roast pork if you don't get to Tony Luke's or John's during your trip. Also the pancakes at the Dutch Eating Place (where they have the dumplings) are to die for.

DiBruno's is great. but if you go to the Chestnut St. location, I'd pass on the food upstairs since it is only, well, passable.

It's most definitely not Tex-Mex. It's probably closer to what you prefer. Cheese is not part of the setup, tomatoes (but not tomatillos, IIRC) are nonexistent, and the meats offered are far from the ground/shredded beef/pork/chicken you usually run into in Tex-Mex joints. The first time I was there, I ordered the (mumble; I want to say "carnitas" but don't believe that's the word) tacos -- pork loin topped with a pineapple and cooked on a vertical broiler. The pineapple juice trickles down into the pork loin, making for a very tasty treat. And they're only $6.

I haven't been recently, but have also heard not-so-great things about White Dog lately. The chef from when it was good has opened his own place--a delightful BYO with a similar philosophy called Bistro 7. It is in the Old City neighborhood of Philly.

I assume you know about BYOs from reading the board. Some my favorites are Matyson, Marigold Kitchen, Django and Mandoline. I particularly like Matyson and their website is usually pretty up to date: http://matyson.com/

Enjoy!

Search no more. We try to be accomodating to visiting eGulleteers around here:

Best Mexican in Philly Thread

Note that most of these places are pretty down 'n dirty ethnic eateries. I mean that in a really good way, but they are not fancy at all. Pretty small, very casual, usually incredibly cheap and very very tasty. If you like real deal Mexican food then I'd suggest a visit to either Taquitas de Puebla or Jose's or both while you're here. You'll eat very well and hardly put a dent in your food budget. Jose's is actually a small grocery store that happens to serve a small menu, de Puebla is a tiny taqueria that specializes in amazing tacos al pastor. Read the thread and ogle the pictures. You'll get a good idea of what's here.

Feel free to PM me if there's anything else you need assistance with. We hope you enjoy your visit to the eGullet capital of Brotherly Love and good eats!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

David,

If you're up for the short trek into West Philly/University City, I've recently had two great meals at Marigold Kitchen. Reservations can be made on-line, the atmosphere is casual/elegant, it's BYOB and the food's right on. You can check out details of my most recent trip here.

oh i beg to differ on that. i've always preferred the food at the palace to the food at vietnam, even when it was dumpier inside.

edited to say: you know what we should do, is have a vietnam/vietnam palace smackdown. early and late dinner, order the same dishes at each, see which one rocks more. pause to purge in between meals.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

I had a good Sunday brunch at White Dog Cafe but we were staying out in that area, so it was convenient. If you want to hit it, maybe brunch is the way. If not, Sabrina's gets good brunch reviews.

As a recent visitor to Philly, I scratched the cheesesteak itch with a visit to Jim's. They say provolone is the way to go there but we thought the traditional wiz was better. Went on a Sunday and stood in a long line, which was actually good because 1) the smell was incredible, and 2) I got to hear what about 40 other people ordered, and made my orders based on theirs.

Amada is a don't-miss.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

David,

I went looking for "blanket recommendation" threads for you and the most recent one I found was...the last time YOU posted, in February or something. :smile: So it seems like we're not doing a good job of answering your questions.

If you're curious about Django, Pumpkin, Vetri, etc., here's what I would try:

- In the Django/Pumpkin category of small BYOBs serving essentially American cuisine, I agree with Kitchenmom: I prefer Matyson, or Mandoline. You will need a reservation for both places -- Matyson is listed on OpenTable.

Skip the White Dog; I want to like it, but every time I go the food is completely unmemorable. The restaurant was a trailblazer in its time, I'm sure, but you can find better places to eat. However, I do like the White Dog Foundation's stand at Reading Terminal (the Fair Food Farmstand) where you can find tasty local produce.

- Do go to Vetri, but if you want something a little less expensive and definitely less formal, try Osteria. The polpo pizza is especially tasty and everything involving pork is good. I haven't tried the pizza lombarda (sausage with an egg cracked on top) but I always hear good things about it from friends I trust.

- If you're trying to pick out an Italian BYO from the 123,087,981 that currently exist in Philadelphia, I'd go with Melograno or L'Angolo.

- Amada is fun. Sometimes I'm not overly thrilled by the food, but it's an entertaining package -- I like the decor, the drinks, the atmosphere, and certain dishes rock my world (gambas al ajillo and the short rib flatbread come to mind).

- Since it'll be summer you might want to have some margaritas. Maybe Xochitl, Cantina los Caballitos, or Lolita (bring your own tequila, have some watermelon-mint concoctions).

- Also, you might want to check out the garden at M, where our very own Miss Katie Loeb will mix you up something tasty.

- If you want cheaper stuff Philly has an abundance of tasty bar food -- and by bar food I mean duck confit salad, Roquefort-stuffed burgers, and a million kinds of mussels and beer.

- For brunch I, too, hear good things about Sabrina's but I haven't made it there yet because it's always mobbed on weekends -- if you go before 9:30, though, you should be fine. I HAVE been to Carman's Country Kitchen, though, and it rocks. Put yourself in Carman's capable hands and she will take care of you...

If you want a fancy hotel brunch I'd try Lacroix at the Rittenhouse Hotel -- great views. I haven't been since Chef Lacroix retired and Matthew Levin took over, but I've heard it's still good.

- Also, of course, there's all sorts of cheap Vietnamese food (as mentioned upthread), Mexican (Taqueria de Puebla, but also lots of other taco joints, mostly in South Philly around the Italian market), Korean, Chinese, etc.

- Finally: cheesesteaks. And more cheesesteaks. There isn't really much of a lexicon--it's just "Whiz wit" for Cheese Whiz and onions, and "Whiz" if you just want Cheese Whiz, but if you want a TASTY cheesesteak I'd get the cheesesteak Italian at Tony Luke's (comes with sharp aged provolone and broccoli rabe). Nobody's going to give you much attitude about the whole "wit" thing unless you go to Pat's or Geno's (Mr. English Only) because it's sort of expected of them, as the epicenters of cheesesteak tourism.

How's that for an internet-friendly post? Sorry it's so long, but Philly is a pretty great food city and there's a lot to cover. My list is far from comprehensive!

Hope you enjoy your stay -- let us know where you end up going.

PS. James--we should totally do a tasteoff smackdown thing re: Vietnam and Vietnam Palace, as I like both, but for different reasons (beef stew pho at Vietnam Palace, the giant appetizer platter at Vietnam).

Edited to add: you should definitely try Ansill. I was having a brain fart -- but it's one of my favorite places in the city -- the osso bucco sandwich, smoked trout & eggs, and pork belly/spaetzle are all deeeelicious. If you're looking for French "bistro" Pif (BYO) is a good option too; it's owned by the Ansill folks.

Edited by Diann (log)

David,

I went looking for "blanket recommendation" threads for you and the most recent one I found was...the last time YOU posted, in February or something. :smile: So it seems like we're not doing a good job of answering your questions.

If you're curious about Django, Pumpkin, Vetri, etc., here's what I would try:

- In the Django/Pumpkin category of small BYOBs serving essentially American cuisine, I agree with Kitchenmom: I prefer Matyson, or Mandoline. You will need a reservation for both places -- Matyson is listed on OpenTable.

Skip the White Dog; I want to like it, but every time I go the food is completely unmemorable. The restaurant was a trailblazer in its time, I'm sure, but you can find better places to eat. However, I do like the White Dog Foundation's stand at Reading Terminal (the Fair Food Farmstand) where you can find tasty local produce.

- Do go to Vetri, but if you want something a little less expensive and definitely less formal, try Osteria. The polpo pizza is especially tasty and everything involving pork is good. I haven't tried the pizza lombarda (sausage with an egg cracked on top) but I always hear good things about it from friends I trust.

- If you're trying to pick out an Italian BYO from the 123,087,981 that currently exist in Philadelphia, I'd go with Melograno or L'Angolo.

- Amada is fun. Sometimes I'm not overly thrilled by the food, but it's an entertaining package -- I like the decor, the drinks, the atmosphere, and certain dishes rock my world (gambas al ajillo and the short rib flatbread come to mind).

- Since it'll be summer you might want to have some margaritas. Maybe Xochitl, Cantina los Caballitos, or Lolita (bring your own tequila, have some watermelon-mint concoctions).

- Also, you might want to check out the garden at M, where our very own Miss Katie Loeb will mix you up something tasty.

- If you want cheaper stuff Philly has an abundance of tasty bar food -- and by bar food I mean duck confit salad, Roquefort-stuffed burgers, and a million kinds of mussels and beer.

- For brunch I, too, hear good things about Sabrina's but I haven't made it there yet because it's always mobbed on weekends -- if you go before 9:30, though, you should be fine. I HAVE been to Carman's Country Kitchen, though, and it rocks. Put yourself in Carman's capable hands and she will take care of you...

If you want a fancy hotel brunch I'd try Lacroix at the Rittenhouse Hotel -- great views. I haven't been since Chef Lacroix retired and Matthew Levin took over, but I've heard it's still good.

- Also, of course, there's all sorts of cheap Vietnamese food (as mentioned upthread), Mexican (Taqueria de Puebla, but also lots of other taco joints, mostly in South Philly around the Italian market), Korean, Chinese, etc.

- Finally: cheesesteaks. And more cheesesteaks. There isn't really much of a lexicon--it's just "Whiz wit" for Cheese Whiz and onions, and "Whiz" if you just want Cheese Whiz, but if you want a TASTY cheesesteak I'd get the cheesesteak Italian at Tony Luke's (comes with sharp aged provolone and broccoli rabe). Nobody's going to give you much attitude about the whole "wit" thing unless you go to Pat's or Geno's (Mr. English Only) because it's sort of expected of them, as the epicenters of cheesesteak tourism.

How's that for an internet-friendly post? Sorry it's so long, but Philly is a pretty great food city and there's a lot to cover. My list is far from comprehensive!

Hope you enjoy your stay -- let us know where you end up going.

PS. James--we should totally do a tasteoff smackdown thing re: Vietnam and Vietnam Palace, as I like both, but for different reasons (beef stew pho at Vietnam Palace, the giant appetizer platter at Vietnam).

Edited to add: you should definitely try Ansill. I was having a brain fart -- but it's one of my favorite places in the city -- the osso bucco sandwich, smoked trout & eggs, and pork belly/spaetzle are all deeeelicious. If you're looking for French "bistro" Pif (BYO) is a good option too; it's owned by the Ansill folks.

Diann

Wow. Thanks for so much good information. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to have to make a schedule!

Thanks everyone else, too. I'm excited about experiencing a new culinary destination - I've never been to Philadelphia before and am really looking forward to it.

I'm down wit dat, as I haven't been to either in a dog's age.

But I'm trying to get James on my calendar for another engagement first. Mr. Andrews: I get paid today. When are you free? Reply via phone or PM.