• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brownies -- Bake-Off I

Kerry Beal

Today I finally got myself to bake some brownies for my Birthday :biggrin:

I made some salted caramel cheesecake brownies :laugh: .I have been obsessed with cheesecake brownies for a while and I am still working on my recipes, I think this one was pretty good ,need a different container though and longer time in the freezer.

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

Today I finally got myself to bake some brownies for my Birthday  :biggrin:

I made some salted caramel cheesecake brownies  :laugh: .I have been obsessed with cheesecake brownies for a while and I am still working on my recipes, I think this one was pretty good ,need a different container though and longer time in the freezer.

Will you share the recipe? Please? I will offer you my first born child in exchange. :wub:

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I honestly didnt follow a recipe , I kinda still making up batches to find what I like.

Anyway I follow a typical recipe for the cheesckae brownies and in the cheesecake I added some of the salted caramel I still had from last batch of sea salt caramels.

The brownies were, 2 sticks of butter melted with 8 oz of chocolate ,1 cup of baker sugar 1 cup of brown sugar, a squirt of maple syrup, 1/2 cup ( more or less ) of corn syrup 1 cup of flour,vanilla,1/2 tsp of baking powder , 5 to 6 eggs.

The cheesecake batter was, 1 1/2 cream cheese pack ( the 8 oz one ) some salted caramel,1/2 cup if sugar, 3 eggs and I added 1/4 cup of flour to thikend little bit , cause was kinda of a liquid batter .

I dont know hehe its a kinda of an experiment, but they turned up pretty good , like I said refrigerated all night would have been better , so I am going to have a piece now so I can confirm :laugh:

Vanessa

I've been using another of the recipes from Fine Cooking -- for Fudgy Brownies -- as my starting point for brownies with a Mexican slant. I add cinnamon and a touch of cayenne, plus a little tequila.

I did try the supernatural brownies the other day........ wow!! I don't know if I'm just getting better at gauging when to stop baking brownies, or what.... but these are probably one of the best I have baked. However, it could also be the ingredients I used were quite different than before as well... I used Trader Joe's bittersweet and dark muscovado sugar for the brown. Either way, these brownies came out with a soft texture I have not had in the brownies I've made before, and it was very rich and chocolatey, but the texture helped save them from making you feel sick. I prefer these I think to any of the cocoa powder brownies I've made, which are too dense and sticky in the mouth for my liking. Anyway...delish!

follow my food adventures as

the sweet gourmand

I did try the supernatural brownies the other day........ wow!! I don't know if I'm just getting better at gauging when to stop baking brownies, or what.... but these are probably one of the best I have baked.  However, it could also be the ingredients I used were quite different than before as well... I used Trader Joe's bittersweet and dark muscovado sugar for the brown.  Either way, these brownies came out with a soft texture I have not had in the brownies I've made before, and it was very rich and chocolatey, but the texture helped save them from making you feel sick.  I prefer these I think to any of the cocoa powder brownies I've made, which are too dense and sticky in the mouth for my liking.  Anyway...delish!

Hello,

Have you tried the Fine Cooking Chewy Brownies? If so, how do these compare in taste and texture?

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes...y_brownies.aspx

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Wow Ann - those marbled cream cheese brownies look fantastic. Any chance of sharing the recipe?

Ann, I would love the recipe as well. I'm sure they taste delicious and they show well.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Another vote for the Supernatural Brownies. Made them last night for a small party, and they were a hit. Perfect balance between fudge and cake-like. Used Shaffen Berger 63% and substituted light brown sugar for the dark brown. Thank god I stashed some leftovers away early... :biggrin:

I made the On-the-Fence brownies last week and the Supernatural brownies this week. I brought both into the office. Same number of brownies in each batch. The OTF brownies were gone before lunch but there were still some Supernatural brownies available the next day.

Inspired by Desiderio's salted caramel cheesecake brownies, I want to make salted caramel brownies. I've been looking at recipes for caramel brownies and there are two choices--sandwich the caramel between layers of brownie batter, or have the caramel as a top layer. I'll be using homemade caramels (from Kerry's eGCI class), so I'll probably melt down some of the caramels and do the sandwich option.

But now, what do I do with the salt? I'm going to use some very coarse French sea salt I have. I don't usually add it to the caramel, but I sprinkle it on top (actually, I dip individual caramels into a ramekin of salt as I eat them). Should I add more salt to the caramel, or should I sprinkle some on top of the caramel layer before adding the top brownie layer? If I sprinkle the salt on the melted caramel layer, won't it dissolve, especially with the wet brownie layer on top?

Should I just sprinkle the salt on the topmost brownie layer?

salt on top! My opinion. adds a little crunchy texture.

On top of the topmost brownie layer? Would you sprinkle it before or after baking?

So many questions, so little time! Actually, I have about a week to make these since I still have 10 cinnamon buns left to eat (it's my rule, no baking one thing until the previous thing is finished--plus I ran out of corn syrup for the caramel, and my friend is bringing me some back from the US!).

on top, after baking, after the caramel has cooled. You'll need some kind of coarse salt, or it'll dissolve.

I just finished making the supernatural with salted caramel (on top!). Will upload opinions and photos later, but so far, I like the supernatural. Having guests over tonight and will get their reactions.

My caramel seems too liquidy, so I think I need to use less butter and wait for it to cool a bit more before piping it on. My lines all melded together...

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Made the supernatural brownies yesterday. While it is, as described above....soft texture, rich, chocolatey...mine didn't have any chew in it, which I like in a brownie. Still, it was very good. Ate more than I should. :rolleyes: Will try the chewy brownies later.

Icing is caramel and white chocolate. Added a walnut half for those who has to have a nut on their brownies. Didn't have any pecans on hand.

browniesapril07.jpg

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Tepee , those looks faboulous and yummy!I definately like the caramel deal in brownies :raz: .

Yesterday I made some other brownies ( I have the hardest time to follow a recipe , I dont know why :laugh: ).I wanted to make a pecan maple coffee cake at firts , from a recipe I found on the cook illustrated magazine, but I wanted to make brownies as well,so I made something between both :laugh:

Made brownies with a recipe from the supernatural ones, I lower the butter to 1 1/2 sticks, I added 1/2 cup of maple syrup ( yummy I love that stuff!!!! )and about 1 1/2 cups of toasted ground pecans .The brownies were delicious , actually not as dense as the one I usually make, the top slightly crunchy but smooth, the inside light , rich and not heavy or too fudgy, I would say perfect :raz: for that kind of brownies,the flavor is very very good with thbose gound pecans in it.The actually remainded me of some brownies a friend of mine made a while bak and when I asked her the recipe , she brought me back a box :laugh: , they are the triple chocolate Ghirardelli brownies mix :laugh::laugh: .

Vanessa

I wont say chewy ,has some moist dense in the inside , but not the chewyness of a dense brownie.Got to reserch more for those chewy brownies as well.Actually I should ask a friend of mine his recipe for cheesecake brownies , he makes and they are definatelly chewyyy.

Vanessa

I wonder if one can make it chewy by working the gluten...ie. when adding the flour, instead of combining just until mixed, to beat it up a bit.  :wink:

Have you try the chewy brownies they linked , on this post?I havent try it yet .

Vanessa

I wonder if one can make it chewy by working the gluten...ie. when adding the flour, instead of combining just until mixed, to beat it up a bit.  :wink:

I wondered about this with cookies; some more experienced bakers warned me that it wouldn't work so well. that i'd get tough, not chewy. not sure if this would be similar with something as moist as a brownie.

Notes from the underbelly

Alton Brown "chewy chocolate chip cookies " uses bread flour and melted butter for that pourpose.I have to say they were pretty good and chewy ( I have to add little bit more flour cause the high altitude ).

Vanessa

I haven't made the Fine Cooking brownies or the On the Fence Brownies...(which I will try next!) but I have made Alton Brown's cocoa brownies and also Alice Medrich's cocoa brownies, which were, as I said, very dense. However, they were still tasty! :)

Edited by yellowmnm81 (log)

follow my food adventures as

the sweet gourmand