• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brownies -- Bake-Off I

Kerry Beal

Do you have a recipe for the caramel.  It looks delicious!!

sorta - it's about 1c of sugar, 2 tbsp butter and 1 tsp salt I think. I'm trying to remember. it was pretty much on the fly. There might have been more butter too. I was thinking I had put too much in, but it mixed in fine after a while.

The caramel portion of photodocumentation starts here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlunar/439685...57600036465432/

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

I made the Best Ever Brownies from Baking With Julia. They were definitely the best brownies I've made. Thanks to this thread, I didn't worry when the baking time was nearly twice that of the recipe. The texture of these brownies are exactly what I like - a little chewy with a nice crackle crust.

Question for the better bakers than I: I want a more deep, pronounced chocolate flavor. Maybe a tad less sweet. I used 4 ounces of 91% Theo Chocolate and 2 ounces of 70% Scharfenberger. The recipe called for 2 cups of sugar. How do I acheive a deeper chocolate, slightly less sweet flavor without changing the texture?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I made the Best Ever Brownies from Baking With Julia. They were definitely the best brownies I've made. Thanks to this thread, I didn't worry when the baking time was nearly twice that of the recipe. The texture of these brownies are exactly what I like - a little chewy with a nice crackle crust.

Question for the better bakers than I: I want a more deep, pronounced chocolate flavor. Maybe a tad less sweet. I used 4 ounces of 91% Theo Chocolate and 2 ounces of 70% Scharfenberger. The recipe called for 2 cups of sugar. How do I acheive a deeper chocolate, slightly less sweet flavor without changing the texture?

I would reduce the sugar by 1/4 cup, then taste the batter - if it's still a little too sweet, you could add a touch of espresso powder.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I made Fine Cooking's Chewy Brownie and the Double Fudge Frosted Brownies in recipe gullet (without the frosting).

Both were delicious, but they did have very distinct textures and flavors. The Chewy Brownie had the best texture in my opinion, because it was indeed very chewy and firm. The flavor was good and cocoa-y, but didn't compare to the rich, intense chocolate flavor of the Double Fudge Brownie. The problem with that one was the texture, which was too mousse-y and fudge-like for my tastes. It's a fabulous recipe, but I don't think it hits my mark for the "perfect" brownie.

My next thought is to combine the two recipes, hoping to come out with the texture of the Chewy and the flavor of the Double Fudge. DF has one more egg, half as much flour (both of which I assume contribute to its mousse-y texture?) and semi-sweet as well as unsweetened chocolate. So I'm thinking about taking the Chewy recipe, reducing the flour by 1/4 c. and adding a couple ounces of bittersweet chocolate.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

I made Fine Cooking's Chewy Brownie and the Double Fudge Frosted Brownies in recipe gullet (without the frosting).

Both were delicious, but they did have very distinct textures and flavors. The Chewy Brownie had the best texture in my opinion, because it was indeed very chewy and firm. The flavor was good and cocoa-y, but didn't compare to the rich, intense chocolate flavor of the Double Fudge Brownie. The problem with that one was the texture, which was too mousse-y and fudge-like for my tastes. It's a fabulous recipe, but I don't think it hits my mark for the "perfect" brownie.

My next thought is to combine the two recipes, hoping to come out with the texture of the Chewy and the flavor of the Double Fudge. DF has one more egg, half as much flour (both of which I assume contribute to its mousse-y texture?) and semi-sweet as well as unsweetened chocolate. So I'm thinking about taking the Chewy recipe, reducing the flour by 1/4 c. and adding a couple ounces of bittersweet chocolate.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

I just answered my own question. I pulled out my previous fall-back recipe, the On the Fence Brownie from the King Arthur Cookbook, and realized that it basically does combine the two recipes and had exactly the flavor and texture I was looking for. What's that old cliche about not appreciating what you've had all along? :raz:

I like a brownie that's a brownie: not cake and not fudge. A nice crackly top is a bonus. The best I've found to match my idea of "perfect" is the King Arthur Flour "On-The-Fence Brownie."

I tried these last week and they were awesome!! I gave most of the pan to our babysitter who has 5 kids and they polished off 3/4's of the pan before she had to hide them to savor them later. If I had kept the brownies I probably would have eaten the whole pan myself. Thanks for recommending this recipe. :)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Thanks to this thread, I've made four batches of brownies in 24 hours and despite giving dozens away, I've still managed to eat at least one whole pan myself. I feel sick.

I'm glad you enjoyed the On the Fence, though, Canadian. I agree it's a great recipe.

By far, the VERY BEST brownie recipe I've ever made is this one. I got it while at the Chocolate Show in NYC and the CIA had a booth setup where they were giving out samples of these brownies. You could buy some and for any that you bought, they included the recipe. So chocolately. Moist, Simply spectacular!

To download the recipe, follow this link and click on SUPERNATURAL BROWNIES.

www.MarkCooks.com

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Aaand, here they are:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlunar/sets/72157600050775594/

I think these on-the-fence brownies are okay - they do need to cool before they get their more fudgey and dense texture, but I think I still like the one-bowl brownies better. Will post if I change my mind tomorrow.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Aaand, here they are:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlunar/sets/72157600050775594/

I think these on-the-fence brownies are okay - they do need to cool before they get their more fudgey and dense texture, but I think I still like the one-bowl brownies better. Will post if I change my mind tomorrow.

I noticed from your notes that you thought these were still too cakey. I actually melt the 6 oz. of chocolate chips that the recipe calls for (and I use a high-quality dark chocolate), so I end up with a more fudgey texture. Maybe try this. I do think this brownie (really, probably, all brownies) has the best flavor and texture after it's fully cooled.

you're right jende, they have a really good texture after they've cooled. They're really close to the one-bowl I think, so I'm going to whip a batch up and do some comparisons!

I didn't melt the chocolate to put in, so I will try that next time. I usually monkey with recipes and would have done that, but I try not to do that with new recipes. :) gotta give them a fair chance!

you're right jende, they have a really good texture after they've cooled. They're really close to the one-bowl I think, so I'm going to whip a batch up and do some comparisons!

I didn't melt the chocolate to put in, so I will try that next time. I usually monkey with recipes and would have done that, but I try not to do that with new recipes. :) gotta give them a fair chance!

After looking at the recipe again today, I realized that I actually used DOUBLE the chocolate it called for! I halved the recipe because I only had a 8x8 pan, but I used the full 6 oz. of (melted) chocolate!! I made a note that they were a little sweet and to cut back on sugar next time, but this is no doubt why. Just goes to show that brownies are really hard to mess up!

I love the One Bowl, too, by the way. I have a friend who rarely bakes but dropped off a delicious plate of brownies to my house a couple months ago. While doing this latest round of experiments I asked her for that recipe and lo and behold it was the One Bowl.

I can't make these at the moment, but one of you should try making my Black Pepper Brownies. They are fudgy and have a nice kick to them.

I made them and they are really good!!! I have to confess I more than doubled the pepper ...and sprinkled some coarse salt on top ...

salt and pepper brownies!!!

very yummy!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

To make my version of World Peace Brownies, I halved the cookie part of Kerry's recipe, made the dough, and rolled 16 little scoops of cookie dough--because I cut an 8 by 8 pan of brownies in 16 pieces--with just enough left over for my baker's snack.

I made a batch of brownie batter (use your own as I'm not yet happy with mine), baked in the pan at 180C for 10 minutes, then used chopsticks to insert the balls of cookie dough and baked until done.

I think the cookie dough needs to go in earlier to get the sandy texture.

Another option might be to pour in half the brownie batter, roll out the cookie dough (maybe not quite possible) and put it on top of the batter, bake partially and then pour the rest of the batter on top and bake till done.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Made the one-bowl brownie to compare against, and here's part 1 of the results!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlunar/sets/72157600058594176/

After taste testing, I liked the on-the-fence, whereas all three families I brought to preferred the one-bowl. Ah well, more for me!

Might experiment a bit more... the one bowl is easy and simple, but I find the OTF recipe just has a bit more of that chocolate oomph. Added in melted chocoalte this time too.

edit: I also liked the colour of the OTF brownie too. Really don't like that covering on the One-bowl. Caramel was also too runny and not salty enough. D'oh!

Edited by jenc (log)

I can't make these at the moment, but one of you should try making my Black Pepper Brownies. They are fudgy and have a nice kick to them.

I made them and they are really good!!! I have to confess I more than doubled the pepper ...and sprinkled some coarse salt on top ...

salt and pepper brownies!!!

very yummy!

I am glad you enjoyed them. I also double the pepper, but I don't like to suggest it because some people do not like a lot of pepper. I think it enhances the chocolate. I will have to try the salt addition.

This past weekend I made the Chewy Brownies from Fine Cooking. They were great. This thing is that I'm not sure which ones I like the best! I think that I've narrowed it down to these and the One-Bowl. Next time I have a reason to make a bunch of brownies, I truly will do a side-by-side tasting. (This is my first time posting a food photo!)

gallery_8478_4474_65348.jpg

They are definitely better the next day. I made the above brownies on Friday, and served them to my friends on Saturday. There are still a few on my counter in a tupperware and they were just as good last night (Monday) as they were on Saturday.

I definitely have to give the Black Pepper Brownies a try. I have baked a mixed peppercorn shortbread that is wonderful so I know I'll love brownies with pepper.

I have two recipes for brownies that are my "regulars". One I call Decadent Brownies because they contain 20 ounces of chocolate and the other is a Marbled Cream Cheese brownie. Made a batch of these recently.

gallery_27944_2966_222467.jpg

I tried glazing the decadent brownies, just for a picture. But these are actually best without the glaze.

gallery_27944_2966_662562.jpg