• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai, laotian or vietnamese recs

Shira

I've had good pho in Belleville (Timeout rec) and Chinatown (called Pho 14 on av de Choisy), haven't been able to get into Rouammit yet. What else is worthwhile and budget-friendly?

Thanks

Shira

Paris

lespetitpois.blogspot.com

Le Bambou, rue Baudricourt.

Tricotin, avenue de Choisy.

I really liked Le Bambou as well.

For Vietnamese I also like Song Hunong, 129 avenue de choissy.

Have you tried Lao Siam on Rue de Belleville?

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I went to Rouammit last night and loved it. Their card says they serve Vietnamese and Laotian cuisine. We started with a salad of julienned vegetables, shrimp and chopped peanuts, Thai nems, and then I had the Pad Thai. Everything was fresh, delicious and very inexpensive--three courses, coffee and a drink came to 20€. Rouammit is tiny but they share the kitchen with a much larger restaurant next door called Huong Lan.

103-105 Avenue d'Ivry, 13th.

I went to Rouammit last night and loved it.  Their card says they serve Vietnamese and Laotian cuisine.  We started with a salad of julienned vegetables, shrimp and chopped peanuts, Thai nems, and then I had the Pad Thai.  Everything was fresh, delicious and very inexpensive--three courses, coffee and a drink came to 20€.  Rouammit is tiny but they share the kitchen with a much larger restaurant next door called Huong Lan.

103-105 Avenue d'Ivry, 13th.

Rouammit is very nice, it is actually managed by the same people as Huong Lam. Huong Lam is larger but always crowded. I like their food but I find it a bit underspiced.

A bit harder to reach, but very good (and slightly spicier): Lao Viet, 24 bd Massena, 13e. Métro Porte-d'Ivry (go east on boulevard Massena and keep walking). Tél. 01 45 84 05 43.

A bit harder to reach, but very good (and slightly spicier): Lao Viet, 24 bd Massena, 13e. Métro Porte-d'Ivry (go east on boulevard Massena and keep walking). Tél. 01 45 84 05 43.

Merci Ptipois, I will try Lao Viet next.

Have you tried Sukhothai?

Have you tried Sukhothai?

I have. Nice but... underspiced (and I'm not such a phrik fan, if I daresay).

I recommend Le Banyan (15e) very warmly.

I love Le banyan as well.Its no wonder since its recommended by Ptipois.

It has new ownership and i wonder whether its as good.

ANother good one in the 15e is Kim Anh ,ave emile zola 49

I love Le banyan as well.Its no wonder since its recommended by Ptipois.

It has new ownership and i wonder whether its as good.

ANother good one in the 15e is Kim Anh ,ave emile zola 49

Oh yes, Kim Anh is a classic. It may be interesting to note that the place has a remarkable wine cellar. Funny how well paired are Kim Anh's Vietnamese dishes and château-latour... When it is supposedly so tricky to associate French wines and Asian food.

The pho at Kim Anh is great. Very simple, with excellent broth.