• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] Caribbean Cafe - Cuban Cuisine

Richard Kilgore

Caribbean Cafe

1000 Webb Chapel at Beltline

Carrollton, Texas 75006-7779

972-4187071

Obscure, almost invisible location...serious Cuban food.

I found this place almost by accident a few months ago. Out of curiosity I had stopped at the donut shop at the same intersection because of the Kolache sign in the window. Coming out again, I noticed the Caribbean Cafe, but could not tell for sure if it was even open. I flagged it, and on a Saturday a month or so later I stopped in to check it out for lunch.

First of all, the interior is unexpected for this small strip location: pleasant peach colored walls with wainscotting and Cuban posters; a bar the length of the right wall with perhaps three tables and a divider separating the dining area - a total of about 40 seats. I tried an Empanada de carne (shredded beef) $1.50, a croqueta (yam and pork) $0.75 and a Cuban andwich (sliced pork, ham and swiss cheese on French bread).

The empanada was the best I have had; the croqueta was delicious and filling and the Cuban sandwich was respectable. All in all a solid, inexpensive lunch. But glancing over the rest of the menu, I was sure I would return.

And return I have, twice in the past month. In addition the the empanada and croqueta I have found the Ceviche de Pescado an excellent appetizer - tart and fresh. My dining companions and I have not sampled from the chicken and seafood menus yet, but the beef and pork dishes have been very good to superb. The Rabo Escendido (oxtail in tomato sauce) $15.99 was flavorful and almost-fall-apart tender. The Ropa Vieja (shredded beef cooked in tomato sauce with red and green peppers and onions) $10.99 and the Puerco Asado (roasted pork) served with potato $10.99 also were dishes we would order again. While the Masas de Puerco Fritas (fried pork chuncks with yucca and mojo) $10.99 was flavorful, it was a little dry for us.

Mains served with black beans and rice, served separately or mixed and molded, and plaintains, crispy or sweet. All got the nod from all of us.

For dessert, hot flaky pastry with guaybaya fruit and cheese. Tasty. With a fine cup of Cuban coffee.

Pleasant and helpful service on all three occassions.

I'll be back.

Has anyone else tried this place?

Note: There is a second location in Frisco. I don't have the address, but will post it later.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review, the Man has been curious about cuban and carribean food after we saw a little place at Web Chappel and Forest. That turned out to be more of a scarey pool hall than a restaurant..... but this sounds very promising and we will have to try it out soon!

• 1 month later...