• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dou shu/Sha Got or Jicama

Pontormo

In the interest of getting out of culinary ruts, I have been purposefully purchasing foods I rarely eat or things I simpy never have taken to the check-out aisle before.

This past week I decided to make a pretty straight-forward salad with jicama (the oddity on my receipt), avocado, red onion and golden beets with a lime-cilantro vinaigrette and it was good.

Since the tuber spoils quickly, I looked for something new to do with the remaining half by consulting my favorite culinary reference book, Vegetables from Amaranth to Zucchini where Elizabeth Schneider endorses stir-frying it. While jicama's roots ( :rolleyes: ) are Mexican, it was introduced to the Philippines by the Spanish and gradually adapted throughout Southeast Asia and beyond. I understand it is now grown in parts of China.

I just made a quick stir-fry by velveting matchsticks of marinated beef, removing them, throwing in minced Jalapenos with my aromatics, then onion, red bell pepper and then finally lots of slender sticks of Jicama. After returning the beef to the wok, I finished the dish with a light sauce of stock, chili paste with garlic, cornstarch and a little mushroom soy sauce.

It was great. One of the things I liked best about it is that I am trying to eat rice and bread sparingly. The jicama remains crisp, doesn't shrink and made the dish perfect for lunch on its own.

I notice that there are a few references to jicama in this forum, but no dedicated discussions. I wonder what dishes are prepared in Chinese kitchens--or in other Asian households.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Jicama is great for making Cantonese soup: some pork bones, jicama (peeled and sliced), dried oysters, black mushrooms, chicken feet, some peanuts, some barley (or use the "ching bo leung" mix). 2 to 3 hours of slow heat boiling.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

When I went to China about 3 years ago, I noticed Jicama for the first time in China. My Aunts would buy it every afternoon fresh from the farms and we would just peel it and eat it like an apple. I noticed that the Jicamas in China are sold at a much younger stage than the ones in the US.

I have never stir fried it but your beef dish sounds delicious!

Jicama/Sa Got is the main ingredient in a Nyonya dish called jiu hu char (Hokkien/Fujianese, which translates to cuttlefish stir-fry). It's a must have in any celebratory event in a Nyonya household and is eaten wrapped up with romaine lettuce leaves or in little pastry shells (kueh pie tee) served with a fresh sambal.

Jicama is also the main ingredient in Nyonya popiah (Nyonya fresh spring rolls) and popiah chee (fried spring rolls).

For jiu hu char, fry some minced garlic with finely shredded cuttlefish and fine strips of belly pork. Wait until the pork has browned slightly and released some of its oily goodness, then add sliced dried shitakes (soak before slicing) and some julienned carrots. Next add the finely shredded jicama - we usually fry it for quite a while until it caramelizes, before adding some finely sliced french beans and dishing it up.

Jicama also makes a yummy snack - top some peeled and sliced jicama with hoisin sauce and sprinkle with a mixure of crushed peanuts and sugar.

I've never tried stir-frying it, but we like to cut it into planks, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and sugar (just a little, to draw out some juices), squeeze with lime juice and add some chopped mint. Great cold snack.

Jicama is great for making Cantonese soup:  some pork bones, jicama (peeled and sliced), dried oysters, black mushrooms, chicken feet, some peanuts, some barley (or use the "ching bo leung" mix).  2 to 3 hours of slow heat boiling.

Sorry. I got mixed up. What I said about great for making Cantonese soup is "fun got" (arrowroot), not "sha got" (jicama). They look similar.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Ah Leung: That's okay. As far as I know, I've never seen an arrowroot--only the powder used as a thickening agent.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I find Suzy's post interesting since "chop suey yam" is something Schneider mentions, too. I was just wondering if the Chinese do stir-fry the vegetable or if the recommendations I read were for something about as Chinese as chop suey.

Ben, yes, since I know texture is very important in Chinese cuisine, I figured the crisp, starchy quality would be welcome. I understand jicama is also shredded for fillings in wrappers. And yes, XiaoLing, eating jicama freshly sliced, sprinkled and dipped, seems to be an international practice. Cf. Chappie's remarks.

Shiewie, I really am grateful for what you share both for the novelty and for the inspiration. I will have to look for more of your posts.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Jicama is also used in "Chinese" or Penang rojak... don't be confused when the recipes call for "turnip", they mean jicama.

Hmmm...rojak...that would use up some of the petis udang sitting in the pantry....

regards,

trillium