• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prepackaged fruit purees

aidensnd2

I've heard those purees are the best (Garnier & Rogelfruit), but I don't believe they're available in the US yet.

Edited by Drewman (log)

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

I've heard those purees are the best (Garnier & Rogelfruit), but I don't believe they're available in the US yet.

Goya has frozen fruit purees (tropical fruits, mostly) readily available at many supermarkets and Latin American Markets. Cheap, too! :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 1 month later...

I just bought a bunch of Goyas. $1.79 for 14 oz, fruit only, no sugar. I got mango, blackberry, tamarind, guanabana, strawberry, passionfruit, and a couple of others. I want to experinemt with marshmallows, and I am going to try my hand at pates de fruit. I will post aobut how tey come out. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• 2 years later...

I was recently handed a catalog for Bithell Farms out of Oregon for their frozen fruit. Supposed to be great fruit. I'm not really interested in their whole fruit but their purees caught my eye since its not marketed to pastry shops and I thought it might be a good deal. Delivered to my door in 14# buckets:

Marion blackberriesk, Boysenberries, Strawberries or Loganberries - $37 ($2.64/lb)

Raspberries - $49 ($3.50/lb)

Prices change based on where you are, and they don't deliver everywhere. I'm going to check against my prices from Qzina in the morning.

I just bought a bunch of Goyas.  $1.79 for 14 oz, fruit only, no sugar.  I got mango, blackberry, tamarind, guanabana, strawberry, passionfruit, and a couple of others.  I want to experinemt with marshmallows, and I am going to try my hand at pates de fruit.  I will post aobut how tey come out.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

The Goya passionfruit works wonderfully in both marshmallows and pate de fruit. I tried the strawberry in marshmallows, but it seemed awfully watery to me - and the flavor just wasn't there. I'd just as soon run any kind of frozen berry through my Champion juicer to get puree - it's so much better than the Goya.

Patty

I just bought a bunch of Goyas.  $1.79 for 14 oz, fruit only, no sugar.  I got mango, blackberry, tamarind, guanabana, strawberry, passionfruit, and a couple of others.  I want to experinemt with marshmallows, and I am going to try my hand at pates de fruit.  I will post aobut how tey come out.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I have used Goya mango, blackberry, guanabana, strawberry, passion fruit, and guava purees to make pate de fruit. Just follow the Boiron recipes and they come out quite excellent. I especially like the guava pate de fruit.

I was recently handed a catalog for Bithell Farms out of Oregon for their frozen fruit.  Supposed to be great fruit.  I'm not really interested in their whole fruit but their purees caught my eye since its not marketed to pastry shops and I thought it might be a good deal.  Delivered to my door in 14# buckets:

Marion blackberries, Boysenberries, Strawberries or Loganberries - $37 ($2.64/lb)

Raspberries - $49 ($3.50/lb)

Prices change based on where you are, and they don't deliver everywhere.  I'm going to check against my prices from Qzina in the morning.

Boiron from Qzina (4/09) prices:

Raspberry $6.85/lb

Calamansi $6.65/lb

Blood Orange $4.07/lb

Morello Cherry $4.56/lb

Looks like I'll give these guys a try. They don't deliver again to this area until July, so I'll report back then.