• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tinto

philadining

My debut on these boards was a review for Tinto's opening which was, to say the least, strongly unflattering. We've since been back a number of times and, ironically, this is becoming one of our go-to destinations in the city.

The brunch is excellent - and a bargain to boot at $25 - and the dinner experience we had was a confirmation of our prior good experiences.

We opted for the chef's tasting and wine pairing. I will get the sour note out of the way immediately and say that the wine pairing was a fair bit off. I do not even attempt to pretend to be in any way an expert on spanish wines, but the pairings simply did not flatter the food or the wine.

Ayant dit ca, the tasting comprised 3x3 plates and two desserts.

In front of everything, some excellent rolled cheese crisps, of which I could have probably eaten some three dozen. My only complaint is that they tasted like more :).

We then kept going with a cheese mixto, some verdial olives and the chorizo pamplona - all very good, with a particular mention for the chutney that was served with the cheeses. I am persuaded it contained saffron and it was very good - and very well paired to the goat cheeses.

After that came the lamb loin broxetas with the eggplant sauce that we've all come to appreciate and love, green beans with orange and paprika vinagrette.

After that, the duck confit with mushrooms and a chestnut soup was possibly one of the highlights, due to both an excellent chestnut soup and an outstanding confit, the turbot sauce pastis which was well done but honestly nothing more and a very good organic chicken with truffled whipped potatoes (which also tasted like more!).

To finish off, the gateaux basques (where do they get the cherries?) and the chocolate cake with caramelised bananas and saffron crema, which came close to making me reevaluate my stand on bananas and chocolate.

In what has become a recurring theme for us, this was all enjoyed outside, with a wonderful view on Capogiro. No, we couldn't bring ourselves to have some post-dessert icecream, sadly.

• 1 month later...

A friend and I finally made it to Tinto earlier this week. She gave a really excellent review of the experience at Chowhound which I'm linking here instead of trying to re-write it in my own lousy fashion, though I added a few more comments on the dishes I had which she didn't taste.

Overall? A few stellar dishes (those amazing frites with lemon aioli, and dessert), a lot that was very good but not especially exciting, and an experience marred by some really BAD pacing issues with the service. I try not to let price affect my judgment of a good meal, but I really expected something more overall considering the cost. I might try it again for lunch or brunch someday, but won't be rushing back in the evening, I don't think...

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |