• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wedding brownies

pattycakes

I'm making 10 doz brownies for a wedding reception. I want to cover the top with a ganache & try using transfer sheet to make them look really lovely. Would I be able to use transfer sheets on this? I worried about the ganache setting up enough for the pattern to stick on. Can someone give me tips?

thanks-

pattycakes

I'm not sure how the ganache and transfer sheets would react... if you want the ganache to be shiny, it might be too soft to work proplerly. I could be totally wrong though. I made some fancy brownies for my Stepmother's 50th last year, and I cut them in diamonds, coated with a mirroir ganache and then did some piping detail on them. I'll attach a pic, but forgive the quality! I also thought maybe some candied flowers - violets for exmample - might be nice on top.

gallery_29288_2429_166711.jpg

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Try building them upside down. Put a transfer sheet on a flat sheet pan, then spread the ganache, then place the brownie & put in a really cold freezer overnight. Take them out, turn them over & quickly pull of the acetate. If your freezer gets below zero, it will work. Try it on a single brownie first to make sure it works, then do a whole pan. Allow them to thaw in the frig & cut into shapes.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

What about making a thinnish pretty chocolate piece with the transfer on it and place it on top of the warm ganache. Geez, just writing "warm ganache" early in the morning feels so right.

But you could even get a bigger bang with a color change too between the two chocolates. You could use a blossom type cutter and a diamond like Tweety's and hearts all different shapes and place them on top maybe..

On cake slices for an engagment party I used transfer sheets with a thin layer of chocolate and then broke up the pieces. You could also make more deliberate shapes.

(I'm a newbie poster and it took me an hour to figure how to post this picture) :hmmm:

gallery_52548_4381_944998.jpg

www.cheri-pie.com

Life is too short. Eat good chocolate.

it sounds like you have a particular look in mind, and there has been helpful advice, but just in case you are open to other ideas, here's something I like to do do fancy up brownies:

gallery_8512_4054_35463.jpg

gallery_8512_4054_25966.jpg

The first is marzipan, the second chocolate plastique, both molded in springerle cookie molds. The marzipan is especially good with a layer of apricot or mirabelle preserves underneath, and helps it stick to the brownie. There are hundreds of springerle designs, if the wedding has any theme to it you can probably find a corresponding mold.

it sounds like you have a particular look in mind, and there has been helpful advice, but just in case you are open to other ideas, here's something I like to do do fancy up brownies:

gallery_8512_4054_35463.jpg

gallery_8512_4054_25966.jpg

The first is marzipan, the second chocolate plastique, both molded in springerle cookie molds.  The marzipan is especially good with a layer of apricot or mirabelle preserves underneath, and helps it stick to the brownie.  There are hundreds of springerle designs, if the wedding has any theme to it you can probably find a corresponding mold.

ding, ding, ding--i think we have a winner...dystopiandreamgirl, those are so gorgeous! i'm really not a baker, tho i dabble, and those have inspired me nearly as much as dorie greenspan's baking book....well played, indeed!

Edited by chezcherie (log)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

On cake slices for an engagment party I used transfer sheets with a thin layer of chocolate and then broke up the pieces.  You could also make more deliberate shapes.

(I'm a newbie poster and it took me an hour to figure how to post this picture)  :hmmm:

gallery_52548_4381_944998.jpg

That is the most amazing dessert! I would love to know what the layers are. Nice job!!!

Thanks for the compliment! It's my take on an opera cake, but since I don't like the typical coffee flavor I use almond and amarmetto. One layer ganache, one layer almond buttercream, marzipan on top, then choc glaze. If you need more info, feel free to PM (I think that's right?) me.

Cheri :biggrin:

www.cheri-pie.com

Life is too short. Eat good chocolate.