• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher Duck Sausage

TarteTatin

My brother the Rabbi is a very strict Kosher food person.

(I, however, started eating pork and lobster at a very young age and haven't looked back!)

While on the subject of Cassoulet (a sort of Cholent), he said that in Europe, he once found a place that made Kosher duck sausage. He hasn't been able to find it anywhere here, and has an absolute dream taste for it. My first question: Does anyone know a place that makes such a thing?

My second question: Why does there seem to be a lack of creative producers of Kosher food meats?

He tells me that some foie gras is Kosher. And, in New York and Israel, there are many Kosher restaurants that serve it.

What a great thing if D'artagnan was able to open a Kosher food section!

Philly Francophiles

A couple of years ago I sampled some really good, different sausages at KosherFest. I don't recall the company that made them, but I'll check my stack of papers at work to see if I have any info on them (I'm afraid I didn't keep any info since I remember their products couldn't ship to Canada - but I'll double check).

As for foie - perhaps somebody who knows, can speak about kashering foie. You have to broil it to kasher it - so what does that leave you with?

It CAN be kosher and here is a better explanation of this entire process:

The difference between kosher and conventional foie gras lies not only in the Rabbinical supervision of the goose liver’s production, but also in the removal of the liver’s blood and veins. Blood and veins are left intact in conventional foie gras, he said.

The Rabbi slaughters the goose and verifies the absence of disease or undue stress during the force-feeding stage of foie gras production. “To give you an idea, the Rabbi selects only 30 percent of the geese he certifies.”

check this out ...

Block of Goose Micuit Foie Gras Kosher 14.1 oz - Ready to serve ... $125 ...

how kosher is foie??

:wink:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

A couple of years ago I sampled some really good, different sausages at KosherFest. I don't recall the company that made them, but I'll check my stack of papers at work to see if I have any info on them (I'm afraid I didn't keep any info since I remember their products couldn't ship to Canada - but I'll double check).

As for foie - perhaps somebody who knows, can speak about kashering foie. You have to broil it to kasher it - so what does that leave you with?

I believe you're thinking of Neshama. In the NY area, you can find their products in all the kosher markets, Zabar's, and some supermarkets such as Shop-Rite. Among their products is a kosher andouille that is quite spicy.

There's also Daniel's Kosher Charcuterie. I've tried the saucisson de Marsaillaise which was pretty good.

Rue Lafayette is also a good source for many of these products.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs