• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Bern, Waterfront restaurant coming.

shugga

I've heard that negotiations are in the works with a Beaufort, NC restaurant to occupy the space in the newly built waterfront building on South Front Street in New Bern, NC.

Can't wait!!

Does anyone know what ever became of Clementines?

Edited by shugga (log)

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Let's see,

You must only be interested in the finer dining restaurants in Beaufort

Stillwater- wouldn't guess they're branching out

Sharpies- source close says "No"

Blue Moon- owner not interested in expanding

Beaufort Grocery- already has two in portfolio

Clawson's/Aqua- who knows

-or- the rest

Net House

Royal James

Spouter Inn

Boardwalk Cafe

Cool Fish

I am curious where you got your info from.

As for Clementine's:

He opened and closed another restaurant in New Bern within a short amount of time and a friend of mine who worked for him cannot file his '06 tax return because the owner never filed his and is nowhere to be found.

Edited by zchef2k (log)

• 2 weeks later...

A friend and I spoke to one of the "owners, investors" of the project.

I also heard that the owner of Clementines was managing the restaurant at Carolina Pines. Your friend might check there.

Also heard that Chef Bruce had closed. Wazzzup with that? And what's the problem with keeping restaurants in this area.

A new Italian is opening on MLK Drive. Giovanna's.

It's in the old Pizza Inn building, behind Crabby Jacks.

Edited by shugga (log)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, Morgan's is good, but how many times can you go to the same restaurant and have the same food. They haven't changed their menu in a while and diversity is GREAT!

There is a new Italian? Restorante open now on Martin Luther King Blvd. Behind Crabby Jack's.

Its called Giovanna's. A bunch of us went last evening. The front of the house has a lot of kinks to work out yet and we heard the waitress yelling at the cook, don't want to call him a chef, cause I don't think a Chef would ever stand for a waitress yelling at him.

The food was HO HUM, better that Paula's but if this restaurant was in a metropolitan area it would be closed in another month.

The red sauce was greasy, the cheese was poor quality and so was the veal.

It will warrant another visit in a month, to see if they've gotten their act together.

• 1 month later...

Waterfront restaurant still not open.

Chef Bruce's Italian Bistro has closed and PIAS is coming soon in the same spot. Someone said it was to be a Greek restaurant. That would be nice.... now if only it was good!

• 3 years later...

Waterfront restaurant is open, called Persimmons. Lunch was good, haven't done dinner there yet.

Fred and Claires is now 247 Craven and it is Excellent!

Pia's in going Italian! Pia had health problems and her restaurant is going to be an Italian place called Bella Cucina. Don't think it's open yet.

Ribeyes Steakhouse just opened on Pollock St. Have not eaten there yet.

New Sushi is open on Neuse Blvd.

The 21st century is coming to New Bern!! Wooeeee!!

Yes. I don't like how America has become homogenized either. Chains of all sorts are largely behind it. West Virginia looks no different from Boston in many places. A trip across the country looks more the same than different.

Waterfront restaurant is open, called Persimmons. Lunch was good, haven't done dinner there yet.

Fred and Claires is now 247 Craven and it is Excellent!

Pia's in going Italian! Pia had health problems and her restaurant is going to be an Italian place called Bella Cucina. Don't think it's open yet.

Ribeyes Steakhouse just opened on Pollock St. Have not eaten there yet.

New Sushi is open on Neuse Blvd.

The 21st century is coming to New Bern!! Wooeeee!!

Ms. Alex has been to 247 Craven several times and really likes it. She's even a fan of theirs on Facebook.

Bella Cucina is indeed open; she's eaten dinner there once. She liked the food and said the service was good (some of the same ones as Pia's) but the wine list was sadly lacking in quantity and quality. That may yet change.

A couple of months ago I had a simple but delicious stir-fry at Sumo Bowl on S. Glenburnie.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer