• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australian Themed Banquet Menu

I live in Kenya, and at the end of April, we have an Australian Vice-Chancellor, coming to Kenya. We are planning a dinner (benquet) in his honour, and will be inviting local dignitaries. We only have access to local ingrediants (lamb, fish, beef, vegetables, etc.), but want to plan an Australian themed menu - say 3 -4 four courses, which we can give to the hotel kitchen to make.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi Luham!

That sounds very special.

One suggestion for finding good Australian food lists it to look at the menus of Austraian themed restaurans? The Coolgardie Safe comes to mind (http://www.accoladewa.com.au/9.html)

Things which you might be able to find ingreidents for easily are:

ENTREE

- Damper (this is bush tucker style bread - needs flour, water, etc)

MAIN

- Grilled lamb or steamed fish (sorry am not very creative with this)

SIDES

- If you can get hold of some macadamia nuts, I would suggest having green beans or vegetables, with crushed macadamia nuts.

DESSERT

- Lamingtons (flour, cocoa, desicated coconut etc)

- Pavlova (egg whites, canned fruit, etc)

AFTER DINNER

- Anzac biscuits with billy tea (Anzac biscuits involve coconut, oats, butter, nuts)

Lamb is very traditional Australian fare. You could do wonders with roast leg of lamb.

I wonder if you could crumb some chicken or fish using macadamias?

Depending on how fancy your dinner is, you may consider the meat pie.

Unfortunately our vast land and huge migrant influences mean that it is difficult to determine what is and what isn't Australian. Fortunately, it means we have a variety of choice in delicious food.

While I know this is not what you want, if I was visiting, I would want to try Kenyan food, but I understand why this is not so for you.

What background is the VC? If they are Anglo-Celt then all the usual cliché apply (see below), if of another background then it might be worth finding this out. My grandmother has lived her since 1954, but I bet she has never eaten a pavlova of lamington yet.

On the other hand I love a good pav and I think that pavlova is a very good idea. Assuming that fresh cream is not an issue. If it isn't too humid then the base can be made well a head of time and the cream an topping can be added at the last moment. Although I have never seen it in a cookbook and is most likely a source of cultural shame, second only to passionfruit was a topping of grated peppermint-chocolate ("Peppermint Crisp" to be exact), so other toppings other then fruit are fine. The "Milo" (chocolate-malt drink) I supplied myself with in Scotland was made in Kenya, so you could include this in a dessert. Milo icecream is excellent. Milo on a pav may be going too far though.

Lamb or Beef on a spit roast would be fine an appropriate.

Although we have excellent fisheries and varieties of fish, most Anglo-Aussies still proberly eat fish in the form of Fish and Chips. Grilled fish/prawns is always welcome.