• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Week in NYC with 4 Kids

Varmint

I know there have been several posts about New York with kids, but each family is different. I'll be in the city for a week with my 4 children, and any guidance will be appreciated. Here are the details, and I absolutely that we can take care of 3 of the kids on a given night, but it may be all but impossible to appease all 4.

Oldest: 13 year old boy. Loves seafood, but is willing to try just about anything.

11 year old girl. Pickiest of all by far. Loves pasta and steak. Hates (and I mean HATES) seafood. Not willing to try much of anything. Our most difficult child.

8 year old boy. Will try absolutely anything. Will be honest whether he likes it or not, but usually likes thing he tries. A foodie parent's dream child.

6 year old girl. Would always order off the kids' menu if given a choice, but willing to try new things from time to time. Not overly picky, but she likes her comfort zone.

We're staying on the Upper East Side, near the 92nd St. Y. Will be there for a full week.

Want to introduce the kids to Chinatown, although none of them love Chinese food. Want to go to a classic deli. Want to go to one upscale restaurant that will deal with the children's idiosyncracies. Want a classic NY pizza.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Classic deli is a synch: Go to Katz's. Not for seafood, but it's a little-known fact that their turkey is great, probably just as good in its own way as the pastrami, if any of your kids just doesn't want pastrami.

Classic NY pizza? Go to Patsy's, between 117th and 118th on 1st Av. in East Harlem.

Chinese restaurant? Consider Congee Village (but go on a weekday not including Friday, because weekends are NUTS!). Your steak-loving daughter will probably like the Sha Cha Beef and your older son will have lots of seafood to pick from. Other Cantonese places like Great N.Y. Noodletown can also work well, because they have good salt-baked seafood and good barbecued items (pork, chicken, duck, etc.).

Pasta is pretty easy, because there are a bunch of good Italian restaurants in Manhattan. I think that although it is merely very good and not outstanding, Col Legno on 9th St. between 2nd and 3rd could work well for your bunch because it's Tuscan and your daughter can have Bistecca alla Fiorentina there, while your son will enjoy a whole fish dish, and some of their pastas (especially the one with sugo di cinghiale) are tasty. I have a feeling that more upscale Italian restaurants could work well, too, however. Let's wait and see what folks like Sneakeater, oakapple, and Sam have to say (and since he doesn't post that much, maybe you should PM JosephB for his recommendations).

Michael aka "Pan"

We're thinking of Lupa for one meal. The older two have been to Becco and are clamoring to go back. I'm just glad we're only two blocks from the Vinegar Factory for good bagels, lox and cream cheese!

I want to figure out a higher end restaurant that will take care of all the kids, who will be able to think back, years from now, and say that this was the best restaurant restaurant they ever visited. I'm thinking on the lines of Union Square Cafe. I sort of know their general manager through Fat Guy, and he remembers me. What do y'all think?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Oh, and Sam has said he'll join us for pizza in Brooklyn at -- well, I can't remember the place, but he told us we need to get there right at noon, when the oven is hot. We can then get ice cream and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan after lunch.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We're thinking of Lupa for one meal.  The older two have been to Becco and are clamoring to go back.  I'm just glad we're only two blocks from the Vinegar Factory for good bagels, lox and cream cheese!

I want to figure out a higher end restaurant that will take care of all the kids, who will be able to think back, years from now, and say that this was the best restaurant restaurant they ever visited.  I'm thinking on the lines of Union Square Cafe.  I sort of know their general email through Fat Guy, and he remembers me.  What do y'all think?

USQ is a good idea. I'm also thinking Hearth, which is more Italian. But I've always liked USQ, though it's been a while since I was there.

Michael aka "Pan"

Other than the truly once in a lifetime experience places like Per Se, Jean Georges and le Bernadin, Union Square Cafe is my single favorite restaurant in NYC and perhaps anywhere.

The food might not knock your socks off, but it is consistently very good. Their burgers(both tuna and beef) are as good as you will find anywhere; the fries and mashed potatoes are yummy; if the mashed turnips and shallots dish is on the menu - ORDER IT!! The macadamia, banana dessert is to die for.

Perhaps equally, the service and reception are terrific. Book now, because they often fill up.

Porkpa

What about Korean barbeque like http://www.gyu-kaku.com/ It's at Astor Place and Cooper Square in the east village. The kids will get to cook their own food over an open grill which is super cool. My 12 year old niece loved it. It's ethnic and adventurous without being too out there.

And if you don't do Union Square Cafe, consider Gotham Bar and Grill still one of my favorites.

Grimaldi's at noon is excellent, but don't be late! If you are you might have trouble getting a table.

If you want a really exceptional haute cuisine experience that won't break the bank, I suggest lunch at Jean-George. There is plenty on the menu for differing tastes. In addition, they have some absolutely fabulous house-made soft drinks that your kids (and you) will love.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

My first thought was Otto; I was there last week and am still thining about the Culatello and cheese plate, along with the quartinos... :wub: I was really surprised to see folks there with kids, but as soon as I saw the menu, realized why-a good variety of food, including pizza and pasta, and crazy-reasonable prices!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

My first thought was Otto; I was there last week and am still thining about the Culatello and cheese plate, along with the quartinos...  :wub:  I was really surprised to see folks there with kids, but as soon as I saw the menu, realized why-a good variety of food, including pizza and pasta, and crazy-reasonable prices!

Otto would certainly be a good choice, though I would not substitute it over one of the classic pizza places like Grimaldi's or Patsy's. Another plus of Grimaldi's is the great view of Manhattan and yet another is the proximity around the corner to the original Jacques Torres Chocolates.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Otto but not for the pizza. OK pizza for the kids but pasta for the rest of you.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I'm just glad we're only two blocks from the Vinegar Factory for good bagels, lox and cream cheese!

This I don't know about - if you want the real smoked fish experience, walk down to 2nd Avenue between 77th and 78th and go to Sable's, where you'll be plied with samples ...on a par with the best in the city.

Or, if you're at Katz's early in your trip and are heading back uptown, stop in at Russ & Daughter's just a block away for their awesome selection.

I'm wondering whether kid's will remember something like a great lunch at Jean-Georges. But they surely would remeber a meal at Mesa Grill or Bar Americain, especially if Flay was around.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I talked to my 13 year old son this morning, and he said that I'd be wasting my money on something like Jean-Georges. He's open-minded enough to enjoy it, and my 8 year old son would think it's cool, but my two daughters would feel a bit too overwhelmed, and in many ways, constrained.

So, after actually talking to the kids, I'm re-evaluating our culinary priorities. We don't necessarily have to go to the restaurants or shops that have the "best" of a particular type of food. What I want is for them to be more dazzled by the experience. And even when I say "dazzled", I'm focusing more on that they'll remember the experience -- thus, hot dogs at Gray's Papaya or Papaya King (along with the papaya drink) could truly be memorable. Same with dim sum, which they've never done. I'm not afraid to go to a place that dumbs things down a bit, as I'd rather make a gentle introduction into different types of foods that serves as a stepping stone to greater things.

Keep the suggestions coming, as I really appreciate them. And I'll look into the Flay joints.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Having grown up in northern NJ with a dad who has always been in to food and wine, I read your last post and realized that my early food memories (some in NYC, others in NJ) definitely involve the excitement of new/different places and foods.

I think Katz's is a memorable experience, as is going for dim sum or just wandering through Chinatown in general with your kids. I do remember wandering around there when I was about 7, seeing the ducks in the windows and all of the cr*p for sale and how cheap it was, and going in to a bakery for a giant almond cookie. I also remember being told that I was going to taste something called Moo Shu (funny name for kids to hear) and that there was nothing 'yucky' in it, so I tried it, and guess what? I was hooked on good Chinese food. Dim sum is a fun concept--go for it! If you have to, have one meal at the all-peanut butter place or take them to Serendipity. All kids, regardless of their palates, are bound to remember those adventures! Of course, mix in some great meals as well, but above all, just make it fun--I'm sure you can handle that, Varmint! :smile:

ETA: I also remember going to Spanish restaurants where the 'wandering minstrels' were a fun addition to the meal--I guess that's what I'm thinking of--an experience vs. 'just' good eats.

Just had another thought...would rodizio be of interest?

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Rodizio would be fun, but we have plenty of that here. My big problem with rodizio is whether it's really a good value for kids. Yes, all four love meat, but in the end, the 6 year old will eat about 5 bites of steak and declare herself full. Now my 13 year old son, that's another story . . .

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

And there's that really fun Chinatown ice cream parlor where your kids may be amazed at all the different (in fact, maybe even strange) flavors.

Dim sum with carts would I'm sure be great fun - as to where to get the best, well there's a thread or two on that somewhere I'm sure.

And soupy dumplings might be something they'll remember for a long time!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I talked to my 13 year old son this morning, and he said that I'd be wasting my money on something like Jean-Georges.  He's open-minded enough to enjoy it, and my 8 year old son would think it's cool, but my two daughters would feel a bit too overwhelmed, and in many ways, constrained. 

So, after actually talking to the kids, I'm re-evaluating our culinary priorities.  We don't necessarily have to go to the restaurants or shops that have the "best" of a particular type of food.  What I want is for them to be more dazzled by the experience.  And even when I say "dazzled", I'm focusing more on that they'll remember the experience -- thus, hot dogs at Gray's Papaya or Papaya King (along with the papaya drink) could truly be memorable.  Same with dim sum, which they've never done.  I'm not afraid to go to a place that dumbs things down a bit, as I'd rather make a gentle introduction into different types of foods that serves as a stepping stone to greater things.

Keep the suggestions coming, as I really appreciate them.  And I'll look into the Flay joints.

The reason I suggested lunch at J-G was because you can not get that kind of experience for that kind of money anywhere else or at any other time. At $12/plate the value is incredible. It is also less intimidating at lunch. Obviously, you know your kids best, but really great cooking like that can open up all sorts of possibilities. We took our then 6yo and older sons to the now Michelin 3-star L'Astrance for lunch in Paris. It was great fun for us seeing how much he enjoyed the food there.

Twitter - @docsconz

It's ultimately a situation where I know the girls wouldn't care for it, but the boys would. Although there'd always be dessert, right?! I think I need to ponder it a bit more. I can be swayed, Doc!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

It's ultimately a situation where I know the girls wouldn't care for it, but the boys would.  Although there'd always be dessert, right?!  I think I need to ponder it a bit more.  I can be swayed, Doc!

Have they ever had a meal like what they would have there?

Twitter - @docsconz

This isn't haute cuisine by a long shot, but my kids have always enjoyed a trip to Pommes Frites when we go to NYC. They were just asking when we could go there again. There's something so uniquely NYC about a shop that only sells french fries!

We have taken the kids to New York numerous times. My kids are foodies like your boys, but there are a couple of places that they liked that might please all of your kids. John's pizza in Times Square is fun to go to because it is in an old church with many of the architectural details left intact. We loved the pizza, pasta and salad there. Ollies Noodle Shop was a hit with my kids also. They will eat more authentic and challenging Chinese food, but the noodle dishes and big noodle soups were good there and if you arent running down to Chinatown its nice to be able to get dumplings and noodle soups further up town.

My kids love Katz's. They havent stopped talking about the turkey there.

We like to eat breakfast or brunch at Barney Greengrass, and they are relatively empty on a weekday late morning. Your picky kids could eat eggs, everyone else could feast on the awesome lox eggs and onions, kippers and eggs, or my favorite a sturgeon sandwich on rye with butter and onions.

A place I am waiting to try with my kids next visit is Kefi, a casual Greek restaurant on the Upper West side, dinner only.

Dim Sum is something to consider because there are many choices, small dishes, and you can always order off the menu in a pinch. I was intrigued by the thread about the Chinese custard place, I have not been there, but it seems to me that hot custards in multiple flavors and colors would be a memorable experience.

How about the pickle guys in the lower east side?

My wife and I used to live in NYC, hope to move back someday and we visit there often as a family. The eGulletiers will give you awesome advice I'm sure on the best 'better' places to eat. If you're looking for info on any other stuff/activities, I posted a bunch of NYC links on my personal website:

www.MarkCooks.com

After years of friends asking for advice, I now just send them to the site. Have an awesome trip!

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child