• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any must-see foodie places in Surrey?

I begin radiation in Surrey in a couple weeks and since I'll be there pretty much every day for a few weeks I was wondering if there were any shops that I really shouldn't miss. I'd be interested in restaurant supply shops, Gourmet Warehouse-like shops, great bakeries, butchers, etc. Any ideas?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

No

:laugh:

Actually there's always good indian food in Surrey

Tasty Sweets & Restaurant Ltd

103-12047 80 Avenue

Surrey, BC V3W 1M9

Canada

(604) 543-9113

All you can eat Goulab Jamin - Man o man mmmm

Not sure about stores tho!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

there's one carribean place that's good, near the gateway skytrain station. it's called "taste nice". just too far for me :(

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

No

:raz:

This is in Langley... but if you're feeling energetic. Small but tasty selection of "good stuff"

http://www.vistadoro.com/

also, a small shop called Everyday Gourmet, in South Surrey

http://www.theeverydaygourmet.ca/about.htm

Good luck w/ your treatments.

Karen

Edited by KarenDW (log)

Karen Dar Woon

Thanks for all the suggestions. A friend also mentioned Tasty Sweets so I'll definitely give that a try and I'll see where the other suggestions are in relation to the Cancer Clinic.

And Neil...thanks SO much for your helpful reply :rolleyes:.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Stay away from the Brewpub at Surrey Place...horrid food and even more horrid service. I'd second Indian cuisine as your best option.

SB

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Are you getting treated at Surrey Memorial?

Surrey is a pretty big place, I don't know how far you would be willing to drive around.

If you go to the area behind the Safeway at Surrey Central Station, there is a Newtown Bakery. They have great apple tarts, just like the old Hong Kong Cafe recipe. It's like a puff pastry, apple filling, with a sugary coating on top. They are closed on Wednesdays, and the apple tarts do frequently sell out.

Edited by jlo mein (log)

Surrey is a pretty big place, I don't know how far you would be willing to drive around.

If you go to the area behind the Safeway at Surrey Central Station, there is a Newtown Bakery.  They have great apple tarts, just like the old Hong Kong Cafe recipe.  It's like a puff pastry, apple filling, with a sugary coating on top.  They are closed on Wednesdays, and the apple tarts do frequently sell out.

I assume it's the same recipe and product as the Chinatown location? I didn't even know that there was a Newtown in Surrey!

I found the Chinatown version of the old HK Cafe apple tarts to be fairly close ... but not exactly. Damn, I miss those days of my childhood.

Hey, let's not forget Crispy Creme.

Most of Surrey is malls. There's one mall that have a sort of fake Ikea in it. Maybe someone can remember its name. Anyway, if you can find this mall there's an Indian place there run by a Muslim family that makes (despite its rather austere decor) tremendous food.

There's also a good Indian place on Scott Road near the big mosque. Sorry that I'm not being more specific, but I only go to Surrey to visit my mother-in-law.

Paul B

I assume it's the same recipe and product as the Chinatown location? I didn't even know that there was a Newtown in Surrey!

I assume it is the same recipe, as they are both Newtown bakeries. The boxes they give you goods in have the addresses of all three Newtown locations. I really don't like going there though since the Surrey Central area is such a rundown site and there are so many crimes. Hopefully having SFU Surrey there will clean up the area in a few years.

There's also a good Indian place on Scott Road near the big mosque.  Sorry that I'm not being more specific, but I only go to Surrey to visit my mother-in-law.

Are you talking about Mahek on Scott Road? I go there sometimes. They have decent food for an excellent price. One of the best Indian places I have found in Surrey.

If you are looking for Japanese food in Surrey, I have found the best to be Akasaka on 101st Ave (south of Guildford Mall/Empire Theatres). Run by Koreans, clean, lots of tatami rooms, and filling food. They have several $15-20 boxes that are filling and come with a good variety. Don't expect anything special, but for Surrey, I think it's one of the best for Japanese.

There is a T&T market near Guilford...and they have a pretty decent food fair with bbq duck and pork and dim sum and other treats.

I have a lead on a greek market as well...will keep you posted.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Yes, the Cancer Clinic is attached to the Surrey Hospital. I realized after I posted that I should have included cross streets. They are 96th and King George. As to how far I'm willing to drive I guess it will depend on how I'm feeling on a particular day and what time my appointment is. Unfortunately it's a different time every day and I don't know what time that is until the first day of each week.

I didn't realize there was a T&T in Surrey, actually I don't know anything about Surrey except the infamous "Surrey girls" reference. I'd be interested in the Greek market as well.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

If you are interested in T&T, a closer location is at Central City mall, just up King George from the Hospital. This is also near where the Newtown Bakery is located (a little more North, behind the Safeway).

• 3 weeks later...

For the best Bahn-mi in the city check out the sandwich shop inside Hen Long Supermarket. These sandwiches give Au Petit Cafe a run for its money.

It's inside the Market in the front.

Address:

14357 104 Avenue

Edited by oiboy (log)