• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tapioca maltodextrin in the UK

Can anyone provide a source of tapioca maltodextrin in the UK?

Idealy in amounts under 5kg. - I've done a lot of online searching but no joy....

:sad:

Sorry this was ment to be posted in the "Where do I get" section.

:blink: Ooops!

Its only food...!

Can anyone provide a source of tapioca maltodextrin in the UK?

Idealy in amounts under 5kg. - I've done a lot of online searching but no joy....

:sad:

Sorry this was ment to be posted in the "Where do I get" section.

:blink: Ooops!

Msk

have not got number to hand but will let you know, think there out of stock at the moment but you can buy in any quantities

• 3 weeks later...

Try here http://www.catalogobuffet.com then select products.

Just got some Texturas Malto, I was expecting the standard Texturas tub but it's more like a small bucket. So now I have to find a suitable cupboard as it's to big for the rest.

The powder is very fine and light, initial experiment with an inexpensive Olive oil is yes it turned it to powder but go by weight not volume for the 2:1 (Maltodextrin:Oil). What was the effect interesting 1 for a brand virgin olive oild it brought out the taste of the oil.

The crumbs can also be heated/toasted in a frying pan and stay as a powder/crumbs with the standard olive oil toasting them lost most of the oil flavor and was swamped by the caramelization.

Along with the Gluco and popping candy it's playtime over the Easter weekend.

As for ordering from http://www.catalogobuffet.com the service was very quick but they sent packets of silica ge in place of 1Kg of Isomalt (as shown on the invoice) Have contacted them to let them know and will post how the result. However this may not be a bad thing as the silica gell popped into the tubs of the various texturas and other chems may be perfect for keeping them at thier best. As a home cook I hope these tubs will last for years.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

We get ours from MSK

olive oil works great as does thai basil oil. You have to get the quantities just right or the texture becomes too dry and sticky.

Here's a fun tip for dinner parties - cook down an ingredient with a strong flavour such as mushrooms or anchovy and reserve the cooking liquer. Blitz the ingredient in a thermomix set on a low heat setting (a blender will do at home) and add the liquer until the consistency is liquid. Add your tapioca and you have your 'food powders'

Put the powders in small 'dipping' bowls on the table along with the bread and butter and let your guests dip or sprinkle the different powders on their bread at the start of the meal and guess what the food they are

<a href='http://www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk' target='_blank'>www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk</a>

We get ours from MSK

olive oil works great as does thai basil oil.  You have to get the quantities just right or the texture becomes too dry and sticky.

Here's a fun tip for dinner parties - cook down an ingredient with a strong flavour such as mushrooms or anchovy and reserve the cooking liquer.  Blitz the ingredient in a thermomix set on a low heat setting (a blender will do at home) and add the liquer until the consistency is liquid.  Add your tapioca and you have your 'food powders'

Put the powders in small 'dipping' bowls on the table along with the bread and butter and let your guests dip or sprinkle the different powders on their bread at the start of the meal and guess what the food they are

Funny that, many years ago Paul Kitching used to have a dish called 'Powders and Potions', which was a plate of unidentified powders, and the aim was to guess which source said powders originated from. Which of course as Bacchus says is good fun.

I actually have a framed photo of the dish in my kitchen :biggrin:

We get ours from MSK

olive oil works great as does thai basil oil.  You have to get the quantities just right or the texture becomes too dry and sticky.

Here's a fun tip for dinner parties - cook down an ingredient with a strong flavour such as mushrooms or anchovy and reserve the cooking liquer.  Blitz the ingredient in a thermomix set on a low heat setting (a blender will do at home) and add the liquer until the consistency is liquid.  Add your tapioca and you have your 'food powders'

That souns great - now i need to get some of this for home!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

• 3 weeks later...