• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crisp my hash

mamster

Naturally we're going to be having corned beef this weekend, and more naturally, we're going to be having corned beef hash.

Every time I make corned beef hash (or hash of anything, for that matter--duck, lamb, pork, I'll hash anything), it's good, but never as crispy as I'd like. Does anyone have tips on this? I want something crunchy in each mouthful, but often I'll get to a point where if I brown the stuff any further, it'll start to actually burn.

I've tried adding the meat later, which resulted in poorly integrated hash. I've tried cast iron, nonstick, and stainless, which didn't make much difference. I've tried different kinds of potatoes, precooked and raw. One thing I don't recall trying is cooking it really slowly (with cooked potatoes, I do mine in about 30 minutes, I think), because I'm lazy.

If you make a really crispy hash, I'd like to hear about your method.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I was going to say that I am a fan of hash in all forms, but it occurred to me that this could be subject to misinterpretation. I first brown the potatoes (I generally use frozen hash brown cubes or shreds as the case may be) and remove them from the pan. I then add the meat, spices and other ingredients and brown them until crispy. I then add the potatoes for a final browning and reheat and add a little bit of fat to make the pan sizzle. This usually results in a nice crispy product. Hash is at its best when crispy, so I strive to make it that way. Soggy, gluey or barely heated hash is worthless in my view.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

This is what I find helpful: Partially cooked potato 1/4 inch cubes, and dry. Be sure to use enough oil, hot oil. Watch the temp. of the oil after adding potatoes. If the oil temp drops, especially if you are using frozen potatoes, you will get a soggy result. Jack up the heat to get it back to temp.

Resist tempation to move them. Let them really brown without disturbing them.

Edited by monavano (log)

I think it depends on what kind of hash you're going for. Not all hash is supposed to be crispy. I call that a "dry hash" -- which says something not only about the final texture but also the way it's made.

Anyway, in my experience, the variables that need to be controlled in order to make a crispy hash are: high heat, don't crowd the pan, use a low-sided frypan so water has a chance to quickly evaporate (this is why it's easiest top do on a big commercial griddle), don't agitate the ingredients until they have had a chance to crisp, use a floury potato as opposed to a waxy potato, keep everything as dry as possible, cook the potatoes all alone until they're 3/4 of where you want them to end up. Do these things, and you should be able to get it crispy. Here is a dry crispy turkey hash in process:

gallery_8505_390_1101693287.jpg

If you want it to hold together in one mass, you could then pour all of that into a small skillet with some additional fat, crenk up the heat, toss in a little water to get the potato pieces to stick together, and cook it dry.

Personally, I've come to prefer the non-crispy kind of hash that is bound with a little cream (in this case, cream on the left and leftover creamed spinach on the right),

gallery_8505_390_1101693324.jpg

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

A few other tricks:

- Towards the end of cooking, add some butter. Butter is a great browning and crisping aid -- much better than whatever oil you used to do the cooking up until that point. A little bacon grease also helps.

- Use the oven. When you roast your hash in the oven instead of sauteeing it on the stovetop, it's surrounded by dry heat. You just pull it out of the oven periodically and give it a stir. Using the oven also allows you to use a baking pan, which gives you a lot more surface area on which to spread your hash.

- Also in the oven milieu: finish the hash under the broiler.

- Start with cooled, baked potatoes.

- Don't go crazy with the onions. They contain a lot of moisture that takes awhile to cook out.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I find that starting out with potatoes that have been boiled in their skins, cooked through and then chilled in the fridge work well. Overnight chill is great or at least a few hours. Peel and slice into pre-heated pan at medium heat and coated with butter.

Use plenty of grease (oil or bacon fat), medium high heat, don't disturb until the first side is browned. Re-apply fat for cooking the other side. Cast iron pan works well for me.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

slkinsey, I'm guessing that I've made the creamy version so many times, I'm longing for the crispy one, and after I master that, I'll forget about it for a few years and go back to the creamy one. That's my plan.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll report back this weekend.

I'm with Ludja on using boiled potatoes that have been in the fridge overnight. I was raised in a household where we had boiled potatoes (in the skin) several times every week. The home fries /has browns my dad cooked on weekends were always made from those potatoes and they were much browner and crisper than any of the local diners around here can/will deliver for me.

I try not to use too much fat or oil to cook them and also agree with FG's comment about adding butter towards the end. And I've never been crazy about the process of cooking in the pan starting with raw potatoes. That last reservation is irrational on my part but I suppose I just stick with what's always worked for me.

I run potatoes, corned beef, a little onion through my cuissenart with the food grater attachement. I heat some duckfat in a cast iron skillett untill hot. Add salt, pepper, and a little cayenne pepper. Put potatoes into skillet for about 5 minutes with lid, take lid off and cook another 10 minutes or until bottom is browned. Finish up under broiler for 5 minutes. Crispy on bottom and top, moist in the middle.

I run potatoes, corned beef, a little onion through my cuissenart with the food grater attachement.  I heat some duckfat in a cast iron skillett untill hot.  Add salt, pepper, and a little cayenne pepper.  Put potatoes into skillet for about 5 minutes with lid, take lid off and cook another 10 minutes or until bottom is browned.  Finish up under broiler for 5 minutes.  Crispy on bottom and top, moist in the middle.

Potatoes raw, partially cooked, totally cooked and chilled? Please elucidate... :biggrin:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I do a simple hash with raw potatoes, meat, and onion. I use olive oil and a nonstick pan. I find the biggest secret to browning it nicely is to NOT stir it too much. I also keep it on a moderately low heat.

My favorite hash lately is sausage, onion, and sweet potato. Mmmm love that balance between salty sausage and sweet potatoes.

Barb

Just to let you know, we haven't had the corned beef yet (I realize this is heretical, but we like to live on the edge), so we haven't made the hash yet. But I am looking forward to it.

I run potatoes, corned beef, a little onion through my cuissenart with the food grater attachement.  I heat some duckfat in a cast iron skillett untill hot.  Add salt, pepper, and a little cayenne pepper.  Put potatoes into skillet for about 5 minutes with lid, take lid off and cook another 10 minutes or until bottom is browned.  Finish up under broiler for 5 minutes.  Crispy on bottom and top, moist in the middle.

Potatoes raw, partially cooked, totally cooked and chilled? Please elucidate... :biggrin:

Usually, I will use up the leftover potatoes that where cooked with my corned beef from the night before and maybe add 1 or two raw potatoes if there isnt enough. I have also made with completely raw potatoes (If using all raw, I would keep the lid on for an extra 5 minutes or so, and perhaps turn down the heat to keep the bottom from scorching. Then take lid off, turn up the heat, cook a little longer and throw under boiler).