• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Inn at Little Washington

Has anyone here ever dined in one of the kitchen tables in the Little Inn at Washington?

I am scheduled to go there in a few months and was wondering what to expect. A friend sent me a video clip of some food show showing people dressed like priests with incense and this whole ceremony when you enter the kitchen for dinner. Just wondering if all that is the "norm".

"Compared to me... you're as helpless as a worm fighting an eagle"

BackwardsHat.com

Hi

Having visited the kitchen bu never having eaten there, i know a little about your question. No priest, no incense but the music in the kitchen is those gregorian chants. I am sure you are in for one of the greastest meals of your life. I was freinds with two of the sous chefs there, and they make by far some of the best food in the US. I also met Chef Patrick O"connell, great guy, great chef. Please report back on how it was.

• 1 month later...

HOLY CRAP!!! I dined at the Chef's Table a few years ago it is still my No. 1 dining experience I have ever had. You definitly want to show up a little early so you can have cocktails in the "sitting area," full of plush couches and chairs and beautiful art.

When everything (and I mean everything) is ready, the Maitre 'd will have you follow him into the kitchen. You will then meet a couple of "mock" alter boys(who are actually busboys), one of which is swinging the incense burning "thing." (for lack of a better word.)

Through a couple of double doors past walls of medals and trophies, you enter the kitchen will the ENTIRE staff standing there waiting to greet you and your party. Chef O'Connell introduces himself and his Sous Chefs and you are led to one of 2 tables. After that, you every wish is granted. Feel free to roam around the large exquisite kitchen and take pictures and/or video. The only sound in the kitchen is the Gregorian chant playing and the relaxing sound of an otherwise silent kitchen.

When I was there, the couple at the other table took video of the whole thing and if I wasn't in Germany, Id rip the DVD and send it to you. Be ready for a perfect evening and some amazing food. Get the tasting with wine pairing, it's worth every penny.

-Chef Johnny

edited for grammer

Edited by ChefJohnny (log)

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Well I've never eaten there. But I've seen that video too. Just every detail is supremely manicured yet guests feel very comfortably pampered. Patrick O'Connell is called the Pope of American Cuisine hence the chanting and choir boy gear is the norm. I have read that he dearly loves the magic between the g-force drama played out in the kitchen constrasting and resulting in the serene drama played out in the dining room. The two worlds coming to crescendo over the songs of the food. He's such an artist and says the food communicates with us.

There are three full time florists. Geez Louise. A real cool real unusual thing about The Inn is that there are windows in the kitchen, ginormous pretty windows. They print a personalized menu for you that becomes your momento. There's a gift shop where you can get dalmation print items & cool stuff. If five people are dining at one table, five servers serve them simultaneously. They get food grown locally still warm from the field.

I'm incredibly impressed with the place. I've got both his cookbooks autographed. He started from beyond scratch. The place was a garage.

I've heard the breakfast is to die for. :biggrin:

Amazing!! I can't wait!

Thank you all very much for the replies... I have confirmed my reservation and will be dining in the kitchen and will definitely take pictures and post a review...

BackwardsHat.com

Amazing!! I can't wait!

Thank you all very much for the replies... I have confirmed my reservation and will be dining in the kitchen and will definitely take pictures and post a review...

Have a great time, the place is beautiful and the area is such a nice change! Please tell what you had and how it was. I also remember the cheese cart is a cow!!!

cheers

• 1 month later...

Wow... Dinner in the kitchen at the Inn was incredible... Patrick is a genius... I love his philosophy... His staff is so friendly and happy too... I'll post a link to my review + pics in a few days or weeks for those that are interested... Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, it really got me prepared and excited for the actual dining experience!

BackwardsHat.com

• 2 weeks later...

Post pics if you can. Im interested to see whats new there. Its been awhile since Ive made the trip to visit Patrick. Glad you had a great time. Told ya it was going to be off the chain!!

- Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

• 3 months later...
Post pics if you can. Im interested to see whats new there. Its been awhile since Ive made the trip to visit Patrick. Glad you had a great time. Told ya it was going to be off the chain!!

- Chef Johnny

Sorry for the delay!!! Please see all the pictures and only minimal commentary from me here:

http://www.backwardshat.com/main/food/innjune2k7/

Hope you enjoy! Thanks again for the information you guys gave me in advance! :)

BackwardsHat.com