• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Horsham

Hello all!

I'm moving to horsham and am interested to know if there any little gems in the area. I've searched 'horsham' on this site and haven't seen anything but of course sometimes the gems are a little out of town. So any food shops/restaurant/cafe etc that are recommended would be great!

if you like mexican, do try Tamarindo's. it's in blue bell (not too far from Horsham)

on route 73 at pennlyn pike, i think. it's in a strip style shopping center. don't be turned off by the weird location- it's quite wonderful!

cheers,

leslie

ps- it's a byob.

Leslie Crowell

it will all be fine in the end. if it isn't fine, it isn't the end.

if you like mexican, do try Tamarindo's.  it's in blue bell (not too far from Horsham)

on route 73 at pennlyn pike, i think.  it's in a strip style shopping center.  don't be turned off by the weird location- it's quite wonderful!

cheers,

leslie

ps- it's a byob.

oooooops! wrong horsham! silly me....

Leslie Crowell

it will all be fine in the end. if it isn't fine, it isn't the end.

Stans Way House is the only restaurant in Horhsm itself that I have heard anything about. The chef appears to have a cracking CV that includes working with Philip Britten, Nico, Terry Laybourne, Bruno Loubet and others. Only rates 1 AA rosette at the moment though. website.

There's a nice cheese shop, imaginatively called the, um, Horsham Cheese Shop, a couple of decent looking butchers, a Waitrose and a farmers market on a Saturday.

Further afield you've got South Lodge Hotel which used to be in the Good Food Guide but no longer is. Its a lovely spot but I can't vouch for the food as the last time I went was about 13 years ago!

In Cuckfield you've got the Michelin starred Ockenden Manor and Mansfields, the little remarked upon home of chef Gunter Schlender who once held two Michelin stars at Rue St Jacques in Charlotte Street in London (now Rasa Samudra and previously Interlude and Interlude de Chavot).

People will probably tell you that Jeremy's is good. My experience is that you shouldn't listen to them.

Edited by Andy Lynes (log)

Further afield you've got South Lodge Hotel which used to be in the Good Food Guide but no longer is. Its a lovely spot but I can't vouch for the food as the last time I went was about 13 years ago!

I was out of London and stayed at South Lodge a couple of months ago. Very nice hotel and the food was good, I cant remember much more than that but do recall it was a good meal.

Also, the Real Eating Company is in Horsham - a smaller version of what we do in Hove and Lewes. We run Steamer Trading's cafe on East Street. Coffees, cakes (which we make in our restaurant kitchen) sandwiches, soups etc - plus some deli goods. Sally Clarke's bread, Brindisa olive oil, Rococo chocolates etc

• 3 years later...

I notice that South Lodge Hotel is a 'New Entry' to the 2011 GFG with an impressive score of 7 courtesy of The Pass, one of its two restaurants. Its called The Pass because the whole restaurant is a chef's table with kitchen images beamed to TV screens for the benefit of wall facing diners.

The guide describes chef Matt Gillan as 'spectacularly gifted'. Has anyone experienced his cooking here or elsewhere?

I'll report back on my mid-October lunch at The Pass (booked before the 2011 GFG publication).

• 2 weeks later...