• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fifth Floor

Was it a difficult decision for you to leave the Fifith Floor after 8 years, considering your involvement with all aspects of the operation?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

After 8, years I found myself in the position where it seemed that those who counted didn't share my vision. For them it was just another revenue point and as a reult controls were coming in that took out some of the joy. Where I did go wrong was to go for the first offer that seemed the most flattering!

It was still a fantastic 8 years as I always did exactly what I wanted to, but it is never quite the same as when you do it for yourself, as I have now discovered.

Henry, you hint in your reply that your time at "hush" was not the best of your career. Would that be a correct assumption, and if so would you care to elaborate? (alternatively, you may feel free to tell me to mind my own business).