• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Napa Rose - Anaheim

oneidaone

We went about 2 years ago. The food was ok and the service was strange. If you're there for the theme parks, the Vineyard Room inside California Adventure has much better food. We went to Napa Rose one night and the Vineyard Room the next, and enjoyed the food, the service and the atmosphere much more for the same price.

If you're not going inside the parks, another option close by is the White House. The food was also better than the Napa Rose for about the same price. Service was kind of slow toward the end of our meal, but that was the only downside.

I've been to Napa Rose 6 or 7 times in the past 12 months (and numerous times prior). I live in Chicago, but go to OC often and I always try to eat at NR at least once per trip. (I was also a fan of Chef Sutton when he was at Auberge du Soleil in Napa Valley.)

Other than Bluefin by Abe in Crystal Cove, Napa Rose is my favorite high-end place in OC. The food is creative without being prententious and the ingredients seem to be top-notch. The sweetbread appetizer was in my top 5 dishes of 2006--and I eat out every day. The wine list is quite good, with interesting and plentiful (but expensive) options by the glass.

Service has been the only variable and has ranged from flawless to spotty. In all my times eating there, however, only one meal had serious service problems (with clueless runners and absentee busboys, mostly). I ate there last month and it was perfect.

I think the apps are generally better than the entrees, so I'll often create my own tasting menu from the smaller courses. They do have a tasting menu that changes weekly (?) and is available with wine pairings.

Edited by Pugman (log)

I was there a long time ago, like maybe 2002 I'm thinking. Surprisingly un-theme-park like. I was impressed with the operation, particularly with the quality of the ingredients. Preparations were not particularly impressive, but the food was done right and the quality of product was outstanding. We had a good service experience.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've been there several times over the years and have enjoyed it. It's actually quite good for OC, although I prefer Stonehill Tavern since it came on the scene. Sometimes I've found the atmosphere a tad annoying (lots of families who've obviously spent a long day at the park), especially when I've been for a special occasion, but, hey, it's Disneyland, it is what it is. Going later in the evening is better in that regard. Service has been quite good, espcially when we've requested John (if I remember his name correctly). They once comped all of our wine for the evening when we had to wait more than 30 minutes for our reservation.

I don't recall much of the food details from our meal there a couple of years ago but I do remember their very impressive kitchen. They must have spent a fortune on that island they have setup.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Good question! I'm going on May 9th, I wanted information for

in anticipation of my visit there. Certainly I'll report back.

Thanks for asking! A hui hou :wink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004