• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

costa de la luz--barbate

butterfly

Hello all--

We are going to spend Semana Santa in this area and are looking for any recommendations--big or small--that you might have.

We are already looking forward to trying El Campero in Barbate. Of course we're hoping we'll be able to take advantage of the beginning of the tuna season (will it be too early?).

Any other recommendations? Gastronomic side trips we should take? Markets in the area?

We'll be driving from Madrid, so any high points along the way would also be appreciated. I'm thinking of taking the Extremadura route--via Mérida--I'm particularly interested in the jamón ibérico towns, Zafra and Almendralejo.

Many thanks (as always).

Edited by butterfly (log)

On the way to Zahara de los Atunes there's a place named Venta Antonio which used to be very good. In Bolonia beach, there's a chamizo quite nice, close to the Roman ruins. They use to have fish just out of the trasmallo (fishing apparel). Sole, gilthead, grouper, chipirones (baby squid).

If you're heading to Cádiz, Sanlúcar or El Puerto there are lots of places to visit. Just ask.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Thanks so much for the suggestions, Rogelio. A chamizo on the beach sounds like heaven. We might go for the day to Jerez and/or Cádiz/Sanlúcar, so if you have any suggestions, I'd love to get them.

Anyone been to Zafra, Almendralejo or any of the other little towns in this part of Extremadura?

Thanks so much for the suggestions, Rogelio. A chamizo on the beach sounds like heaven.  We might go for the day to Jerez and/or Cádiz/Sanlúcar, so if you have any suggestions, I'd love to get them.

In Sanlúcar, up in the Cabildo square Balbino is a must, one of the best tapas bars in Spain and their tortillitas de camarones are the finest in the world. Barbiana is also a favourite unpretentious but with superb papas aliñás con melva.

Down in the Bajo de guía Bigote is a sure bet for fish stews and seafood, Mirador de Doñana is also worth a visit.

In Cádiz El Balandro with it's long bar is always satisfaying and very cheap also Doña Pepa and Aurelio for seafood.

Re Jerez, Casa Juanito for traditional stews and El Gallo Azul for modern and affordable tapas.

Enjoy it.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

I've enjoyed meals at El Faro in Puerto and it has improved a great deal from around 15 years ago when they refused to serve my wife some red mullet with its liver as it was considered "a man's dish". great service the last couple of times and some good wines.