• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday dining in Barcelona

nimzo

Thanks for those recommendations - they're great, and I didn't realise elBulli opened Sundays.

I've been sifting through the boards and various friends' recommendations, and I'm thinking this is my hit-list, weighted for a balance between local flavour and more out-there stuff:

- Cal Pep (the tapas icon)

- Mondo (the seafood kings)

- Bar Mut (upmarket tapas)

- Comerc 24 (and Tapac 24, Abellan's new place - breakfast?)

- Bar Pinotxo (old-school Boqueria favourite; again, breakfast?)

- Inopia (Albert Adria's tapas joint)

- Alkimia (kooky, complex, Michelin-starred)

- Cinc Sentits (Canadian Catalan)

- Quim (another Boqueria favourite)

- Ca L'Isidre (contemporary Catalan)

- Abac (cool room, avante-garde food)

- Lasarte (Martín Berasategui's BCN restaurant)

and

- Cacao Sampaka (for chocolates)

- Jamonisimo (for jamon Iberico)

That's a pretty good list. I'd highly recommend that you add a meal at Espai Sucre, the dessert only restaurant that inspired a few of the same in the US. It's really special, and I wouldn't go there after dinner, I'd go there FOR dinner. The savory course to start is great if you get the largest menu, and you'll have quite a bit to eat.

Also, not sure if anyone mentioned Cinq Centits.

As for your Sunday conundrum, you might also want to consider the restaurant at Hotel Neri. The food is creative and can be of a very high level, if occasionally inconsistent. Make sure you eat early enough that the top level staff hasn't gone home (which does happen towards the end of service). The soups/purees were especially good when I went, and the room is really cool, as is the decor of the entire hotel.

Enjoy!

Set Portes is open on Sunday from 1pm. The atmosphere is great, with tourists alongside local families. There is a wide choice of traditional dishes on the menu, including an impressive looking paella served in huge portions.

• 1 month later...
I have a late Sunday lunch reservation at L'Esguard for my upcoming Catalunya/Valencia trip. I believe Gaig is open as well. Saborosa's recommendation sounds great too.

When is your trip? We're going the last week in April. I would love to hear what you think about L'Esguard as I have a reservation as well. There isn't much that has been written about Sanchez Romera, but he will be in NY for a dinner at the Beard House in a few weeks.

What other places are on your agenda?

g

He has also a tiny and fashionable boutique in the charming Plaça Sant Gregori Taumaturg, close to Turó Parc and Diagonal.

I never see Oriol Balaguer mentioned for chocolates.personally prefer him every time over Cacao Sampaka

Me too, his chocolate 7 textures is a must.

Oriol's chocolates are fantastic, but does he have someplace to sit down and enjoy them? I know that he has his workshop, but that is nothing like a cafe or little chocolate restaurant like there is at Cacao Sampaka. As much as I love Balaguer's chocolate, Sampaka is much more conducive to sitting down to relax and enjoy. Balaguer should certainly be experienced though. I will never forget the first time I tried his hazelnut chocolate with pop rocks.

• 2 months later...

So Sunday is the last day my family will be around in Barcelona. Id like to be able to go out to dinner with them, but it seems like all tthe nice places will be closed. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think Colibri might be open but I don't know much about the place. Rias de Galicia is also open on Sundays, but I'm hesitant about going to an expensive seafood restaurant on a Sunday.

Thanks!

-Charlie

i should add that I dont care if its a fancy expensive restaurant. I'm just looking for somewhere that has good food. A great tapas place would be perfect, but it seems that most of the good ones are closed on sunday as well

Don't be afraid to go to Rías de Galicia on a Sunday, the quality will be the same.

You can always go to Paco Meralgo for some good tapas in a nice atmosfere.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Other Sunday dining options are discussed here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=38&t=100347

where I recommend Mam i Teca, C/Lluna, Raval, which recommendation I am happy to repeat. I don't think they're closing for August - I seem to remember the two guys who run it, Alfons and Robin, saying they were going to take alternate weeks off so they could stay open. However, this was after dinner, which is not a good time to tell me anything I need to remember.