• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday dining in Barcelona

nimzo

There are many places that are open for lunch on Sundays; not so many for dinner.

Top-notch modern cuisine: Gaig, Racó d'En Freixa, Moo, Arola.

Other modern places: Tragaluz, La Provença.

Barceloneta area (seafood, paella): Can Majó (lunch only), Can Ramonet (lunch only), Merendero de la Mari, El Suquet de l'Almirall (lunch only).

Seafood elsewhere: Els Pescadors (wonderful website, BTW! http://www.elspescadors.com ), Peixerot (lunch only).

Traditional Catalan: 7 Portes, Casa Leopoldo (lunch only; a better choice in the Raval than strange vegetarian places!)

Tapas: Paco Meralgo.

Grilled meats: Cañota.

Edited by vserna (log)

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Thanks very much.I tried Moo and Raco d'en Freixa last night and they both now close on Sundays but the rest sound great. I have been promising myself a trip to Gaig for ages so now sounds like a good time try.

I had the same problem last night. A number of high end places were open but I felt like something simpler but good. I ended up at a tapas place around the corner from where I'm staying that was excelent and is open until one every night but Tuesday. (but I think last order is 12:30)

It's called Mam i Teca. Address is c/lluna 4, in El Raval. 93 44 13335

Excellent langostinos a la plancha--delicious salty broth in the heads. Very well-prepared and simply flavored dish. They have very good and somewhat unusual wines by the glass, especially a nice white from a region I didn't know of as a region for wine that I can't now remember. I also had the fresh pasta with blue cheese which would have been great except the pasta was overdone for my taste. Next time I'll ask for it al dente. The Dutch waiter/ maybe part-owner speaks perfect Engish and is really into the food and wine they serve. I'll go back again soon.

Thanks very much.I tried Moo and Raco d'en Freixa last night and they both now close on Sundays but the rest sound great. I have been promising myself a trip to Gaig for ages so now sounds like a good time try.

Gaig is indeed very interesting. I am not sure whether they will have it now, but I had there one of my greatest dishes ever: Huevo Cremoso con "Tartufo Bianco di Alba".

Although this is not the most creative dish of Gaig (it is a very interesting cuisine, in my view!) it was prepared excellently, and I never had a bette truffle dish as this one (although I had even two white truffle dishes at le Calandre in Italy last month that disappointed me).

I tried Moo and Raco d'en Freixa last night and they both now close on Sundays

Yeah, and Arola at the Hotel Arts is now open only four days a week, as I've just found out. It seems that there's a bit of a crisis in the Barcelona restaurant scene, if we put all of these changes together!

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

The local guide called Guia del Ocio usually has an "open on sunday" restaurant listing. Guia del Ocio also has a short English section in the back as well. If you read Spanish, it's a great resource to find out what's going on around town.

Glad you like Mam i Teca, tjdnewyork, it's one of my favourite places - the sort of spot with the right combination of quality food, simply but correctly (for the most part - perhaps apart from pasta!) prepared, friendly service, relaxed atmosphere, interesting wine and reasonable prices. The Dutch waiter is certainly very nice - a great addition. It was owned and run by two Catalans Alfons and Jordi, not sure if that's changed.

The wine you're referring to could well have been the interesting, complex, fragrant Serrat de Montsoriu white from the Parc Natural de Montseny near Sant Celoni. It manages to cram in Albariño, Chardonnay, Treixadura, Loureiro, Cainho Blanco, Muscat and Reisling grapes, though it's mainly a blend of the first two. It's hard to find but you can buy it in Vila Viniteca.

To get back on topic, another place open on Sunday that I've mentioned elsewhere is Meson David. Not on the Gaig level by any means, but good for solid Galician cuisine in a lively 'local' atmosphere.

By the way, anyone been to Gaig in the unfortunately named Hotel Cram? I've read a slightly disappointing report. Any info on the hotel itself might be useful for egulleteers too? Does it live down to its name? :wink:

• 2 years later...

I'm in Barcelona for a week at the end of April, trying to make the most of my time and kick the no Bulli-reservation blues. I've gleaned some great suggestions from the board here and elsewhere, but I still don't know where I'm going to eat on the Sunday of my stay, as it appears that everywhere will be closed.

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

I'm in Barcelona for a week at the end of April, trying to make the most of my time and kick the no Bulli-reservation blues. I've gleaned some great suggestions from the board here and elsewhere, but I still don't know where I'm going to eat on the Sunday of my stay, as it appears that everywhere will be closed.

One of my favourite recommendations for Sunday is Mam i Teca, which I've mentioned elsewhere in this forum: "Try Mam i Teca C/ Lluna 4, Raval, 93 441 33 35 - a great Sunday option. It's nothing like any of the places you've mentioned, but offers good simple food such as local charcuterie, jamon iberico, and Spanish cheeses, plus home catalan cooking - botifarra and beans, pork confit, meatballs, grilled baby squid or prawns... But the quality ingredients (Joselito ham), decor (chandeliers, citrus colour scheme), interesting wine list, and warm welcome make it a cut above your average barrio bar."

I have a late Sunday lunch reservation at L'Esguard for my upcoming Catalunya/Valencia trip. I believe Gaig is open as well. Saborosa's recommendation sounds great too.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It would be well worth sending an email to elBulli to see if they have any cancellations around that time. The standard reply usually suggests that you get in touch closer to the time that they are open. Send back a reply, and you could get lucky.

I have a late Sunday lunch reservation at L'Esguard for my upcoming Catalunya/Valencia trip. I believe Gaig is open as well. Saborosa's recommendation sounds great too.

When is your trip? We're going the last week in April. I would love to hear what you think about L'Esguard as I have a reservation as well. There isn't much that has been written about Sanchez Romera, but he will be in NY for a dinner at the Beard House in a few weeks.

What other places are on your agenda?

Thanks for those recommendations - they're great, and I didn't realise elBulli opened Sundays.

I've been sifting through the boards and various friends' recommendations, and I'm thinking this is my hit-list, weighted for a balance between local flavour and more out-there stuff:

- Cal Pep (the tapas icon)

- Mondo (the seafood kings)

- Bar Mut (upmarket tapas)

- Comerc 24 (and Tapac 24, Abellan's new place - breakfast?)

- Bar Pinotxo (old-school Boqueria favourite; again, breakfast?)

- Inopia (Albert Adria's tapas joint)

- Alkimia (kooky, complex, Michelin-starred)

- Cinc Sentits (Canadian Catalan)

- Quim (another Boqueria favourite)

- Ca L'Isidre (contemporary Catalan)

- Abac (cool room, avante-garde food)

- Lasarte (Martín Berasategui's BCN restaurant)

and

- Cacao Sampaka (for chocolates)

- Jamonisimo (for jamon Iberico)

I never see Oriol Balaguer mentioned for chocolates.personally prefer him every time over Cacao Sampaka

Me too, his chocolate 7 textures is a must.

Oriol's chocolates are fantastic, but does he have someplace to sit down and enjoy them? I know that he has his workshop, but that is nothing like a cafe or little chocolate restaurant like there is at Cacao Sampaka. As much as I love Balaguer's chocolate, Sampaka is much more conducive to sitting down to relax and enjoy. Balaguer should certainly be experienced though. I will never forget the first time I tried his hazelnut chocolate with pop rocks.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

When is your trip? We're going the last week in April. I would love to hear what you think about L'Esguard as I have a reservation as well. There isn't much that has been written about Sanchez Romera, but he will be in NY for a dinner at the Beard House in a few weeks.

What other places are on your agenda?

so far I have Aligue, L'Esguard, Levante (Valencia), El Poblet, Ca Sento, Monastrell and can Roca lined up. I'm hoping to also get to Inopia, a tapas place in Valencia favored by Quiqui Dacosta the name of which escapes me at the moment, La Sirena, El Bulli (if I get real lucky) or Can Jubany. I'll be there in May.

Twitter - @docsconz

a tapas place in Valencia favored by Quiqui Dacosta the name of which escapes me at the moment.

That's Casa Montaña, a nice tavern in a funky location but with a superb wine list and some good tapas, their anchoives are great. It's close to El Cabanyal Market, one of my favourites in Valencia along with the beatiful central market. So make sure to visit it if you're going to Casa Montaña.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

a tapas place in Valencia favored by Quiqui Dacosta the name of which escapes me at the moment.

That's Casa Montaña, a nice tavern in a funky location but with a superb wine list and some good tapas, their anchoives are great. It's close to El Cabanyal Market, one of my favourites in Valencia along with the beatiful central market. So make sure to visit it if you're going to Casa Montaña.

Yes, Rogelio, that's the one. Thanks for refreshing my memory! Is the El Cabanyal market open throughout the day and evening like the Boqueria? Are there days that it is closed or closes early? I'm planning on getting to Casa Montana on a Monday night or possibly Tuesday night (or if we love it, possibly both :smile: )

Twitter - @docsconz

It will probably be open till 8 pm, but it's always better to go during the mornings and tuesday to Saturday. As there is no fish on mondays.

But this is a neighbourhood market, nothing to do with Mercado Central which is closer in style to La Boquería.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Can Gaig is indeed open on Sundays and I can highly recommend it.

If it is for lunch on Sundays, I would certainly go for Can Fabes of Santi Santamaria in San Celoni which is easy to reach by train from Barcelona and then 10 minutes walk to the restaurant.

Restaurant Gaig is not open on Sundays. We're trying to find a venue to hold a nice celebratory dinner in June, and via email with the restaurant they informed us that they are not open.

We'll be a group of about 18-22 people and it's been a real challenge to find someplace. Our likely choice will be El Principal, which is part of the Tragaluz group (Aqua, Tenorio, etc.). They have a separate facility in L'Eixample, and the rooms look lovely. Menu choices look appealing, also.