• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Sichuan International

Pan

I've always been happy with Grand Sichuan (at least, I have to say, in Chinatown and the West side). Recently a friend mentioned "another queens sichuan restaurant has opened in midtown." I can't track it down. Does this ring any bells? (I could ask my friend. I'm asking you instead).

I've always been happy with Grand Sichuan (at least, I have to say, in Chinatown and the West side). Recently a friend mentioned "another queens sichuan restaurant has opened in midtown."  I can't track it down.  Does this ring any bells? (I could ask my friend.  I'm asking you instead).

Probably Szechuan Gourmet. I wrote an article for Time Out New York that mentioned it. I thought it was pretty good.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

So, really, what is the deal with the different locations and the special menus described here (and on their website, http://www.thegrandsichuan.com). I often order out from the 24th & 9th location, and once asked about the diced rabbit dish I saw on the website, but was told they didn't have that. Similarly, I went to the location in St. Mark's Place, and there was no special menu, just the same menu they use for delivery.

From the website, it seemed that each location shared a common menu, and either had it's own special dishes, or had no special dishes. Is this true? If so, that's unfortunate because some of the special dishes looked very good. Even if 24th and 9th had it's own special dishes, has anyone had any luck ordering them over the phone?

The St. Marks branch does have some special menus that don't make the delivery menu, such as the one with New Years dishes.

I would have to disagree that all branches have the same menu. There is considerable variation between the 50th/9th menu and the St. Marks menu. And I've even occasionally ordered off-menu items for delivery.

Michael aka "Pan"

I've always been happy with Grand Sichuan (at least, I have to say, in Chinatown and the West side). Recently a friend mentioned "another queens sichuan restaurant has opened in midtown."  I can't track it down.  Does this ring any bells? (I could ask my friend.  I'm asking you instead).

Probably Szechuan Gourmet. I wrote an article for Time Out New York that mentioned it. I thought it was pretty good.

That sounds like the one. Thank you. Will have to visit and sample their tendon.

That sounds like the one. Thank you. Will have to visit and sample their tendon.

After a few recent trips to Grand Sichuan, I'd say that Szechuan Gourmet's tendon is not one the level of Grand Sichuan's. But I did prefer SG's version of "sauteed and dry string beans".

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

• 1 month later...

From an Amazon.com interview with Mario Batali:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/featu...5446519-8535260

Amazon.com: Do you order take-out much?

Batali: In a beautiful way a new restaurant has changed our life. It's called Grand Sichuan. There's one on 55th Street, there's one on 24th Street, and now there's one on 8th Street, just about four blocks away. It's remarkably legitmate Szechuan and Hunan cooking by a group of people that's--it's just so different than the rest of American take-out Chinese. I literally ordered out there three times last week. So f--king good you would die

The Saint Marks branch has become my go-to GS location, mainly because of location, but having been to both 9th ave locations recently I think it's maybe the best overall right now.

I went to a birthday dinner there two weeks ago and we had a full-on banquet, about 20 dishes in all. Half cold appetizers, half hot mains, everything was great. I can't remember everything now, but a cold dish of tripe in chili oil stood out, as did a baked whole fish in chili sauce and a not-on-the-menu braised pork dish. There were ten of us and the whole meal was $25 a person. The only thing I didn't like was they included soup dumplings, which are okay there but not anything as special as the sichuan dishes.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Bpearis-did you arrange a pre-set menu for the banquet? I've gone with groups of 8-12 on a multitude of occasions, always crafting our own menu of favorites. I think, considering value, it might be my favorite restaurant in NYC.

Can you tell us more about the braised pork dish?

Bpearis-did you arrange a pre-set menu for the banquet?  I've gone with groups of 8-12 on a multitude of occasions, always crafting our own menu of favorites.  I think, considering value, it might be my favorite restaurant in NYC. 

Can you tell us more about the braised pork dish?

It was a pre-set menu. My friend whose birthday it was is Chinese-American and she arranged the whole thing with the chef, set the price, etc. I really liked this way as we got all sorts of things I might never have ordered. All the cold appetizers were sort of a revelation -- when I normally go, we don't get that many (even though I know that's a big part of Szechaun food) so to have ten or so to try was amazing. There was also a pork belly dish that was awesome, though some at the table had problems eating what was basically pure fat.

The braised pork dish was somewhat similar to the red cooking pork w/chesnuts from the mao menu, but it was in some kind of chili sauce with a vegetable that I don't remember. There was so much food I can't recall the details.

I may just be the St. Marks branch's best customer, at least for deliveries. The cashier has memorized my name, address, and telephone number already. So you know I'm really happy they're there, but my impression is that the ~50th St. location is still the best.

Michael aka "Pan"

Hey Pan,

Going there this evening for an early dinner. You have any recommendations from the Hunan portion of the menu? Or anything else that is a must-order? Though I've been there a bunch I'm always looking for something new.

I have favorites I get repeatedly, and they're just for me, as I have yet to go to that branch with company. That said, here are some recommendations, including only dishes I have tried and particularly liked at this branch:

18. Sichuan Dan Dan Noodle

19. Sichuan Cold Noodle

23. Ox Tongue & Tripe w. Spicy Peppery Sauce

24. Beef w. Spicy Peppery Sauce

They also sometimes have beef tendon that can be made in the same style. If you want the tendon, ask whether they have it.

111. Sweet & Sour Lotus Roots

Any of the Steamed Spicy Dishes (my favorite is the turnip)

140. Fish & Sour Cabbage in a Little Hot Wok (I get this more often than anything else)

147. Diced Lotus Roots w. Spicy Black Bean

158. Sauteed Chinese Red Spinach

There are a bunch of other dishes I assume are good because they're excellent at the two 9th Av. branches.

Michael aka "Pan"

19. Sichuan Cold Noodle

I find that their cold noodles have an acrid bitterness to them, perhaps from the chillis. I think some people prefer this.

I don't think of it as acrid or bitter but I do like them. Those ain't no insipid stuff.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 4 months later...

Went to Grand Sichuan last night.. Just wanted tell of a great dish I had for the first time there.. Got the Crispy Quail.. It was just fried quail on a bed of lettuce.. It was excellent.. Highly seasoned, crispy, they used a light batter.. This might be NY's best fried chickenish /quail..

19. Sichuan Cold Noodle

I find that their cold noodles have an acrid bitterness to them, perhaps from the chillis. I think some people prefer this.

I don't think of it as acrid or bitter but I do like them. Those ain't no insipid stuff.

The bitterness might be from the grounded Szechuan peppercorn. The Taiwanese called it MaLa or "Numb Spicy. Is that the sensation that your getting??

Leave the gun, take the canoli

• 1 month later...

It was an almost nippy evening--the first real hint of autumn this year--and my thoughts turned to chili peppers. Since I hadn't been there in a while (almost two weeks!), I went to the Grand Sichuan at 9th and 50th this evening. For some reason, be it the weather or the cook on rotation--I don't know, it was particularly satisfying tonight.

Since I was alone, the scope of dishes was naturally a lot more limited than usual, but it also meant that I was inspired to order a dish I don't usually get when I'm with other people because it's rather a lot of work to eat--the cold appetizer diced rabbit with hot and peppery sauce. I forget that this is really one of my very favorite dishes here....somehow the synthesis of the diced rabbit meat (bone in, which is why this is so difficult to eat--those little bone pieces can be quite tricky to eat around), peanuts, diced scallion, cucumber and spicy sauce is almost perfect. And when they say "hot and peppery sauce", they ain't kidding around. For you red pepper fans, it's one of the spiciest dishes on the menu. The only dish I can think of I've tried that's consistently hotter is the pickled cabbage in red oil cold appetizer.

Of course, the ma po tofu tonight kicked some serious ass, too, but I just thought I'd take a moment to pay tribute to a beloved menu item here that I tend to neglect.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I had brought my camera just to show you guys the outcome of the car accident I was in.. On the way back, the taxi I was in, ripped the front bumper of this 100 grand mercedes.. The taxi driver still had the humor to charge me 7 bucks..

We had the conch in wild pepper sauce.. Cold noodles, and the hottest dish there, the sour vegetables, the dish which is second from the top on the old special page.. There are a couple new dishes on the menu , at the 50th and 9th Location.. The pork with peppers and pumpkin is great.. We bought a bottle of rice wine, and some azhou beef dish.. Place is great.

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 3 weeks later...

You are going to Grand Sichuan International Midtown today at noon, with seven other people, none of whom has been to Grand Sichuan before. It is a mix of adventurous and not particularly adventurous eaters. The budget is, effectively, unlimited.

Place your order here.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

tea smoked duck, that "green parrot" dish from the Seven Daughters menu, red cooking pork and chesnuts, squid kung bao style, dan dan noodles, sichuan wontons in red oil, Beef w. Spicy Peppery Sauce, ma po tofu, dry and sauteed string beans, chong qing dry and spicy chicken...

...just realized this was too late for the task. let us know what you ended up getting.

Edited by bpearis (log)