• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Sichuan International

Pan

Tonight, after an opening of a show of a friend's paintings in Chelsea, I was part of a rather large party (probably 30ish, at two big tables) at the Chelsea branch of Grand Sichuan. It's still a very good restaurant. The dishes were Sichuan noodles with sesame, I think (which I didn't have), Sichuan wontons with sesame and chili oil (great as usual), the cold cucumber dish (excellent as usual), some kind of Chinese spinachy green leafy vegetable sauteed with garlic (very good), Shrimps with Sichuan Sauce (with a distinct ketchup taste but still quite good), Aui Zhou Chicken (excellent), Scallops with Green Squash (excellent and mild, one I've never ordered before), Whole Fish in Hot Bean Sauce (excellent as usual), tofu with mixed vegetables (which was probably good but which I didn't get to try), and a duck dish with a hickory-smoked taste (which I liked at first but ultimately decided was the one clinker of the bunch).

Michael aka "Pan"

I had General Tso's Chicken once at the Chelsea branch, and it was just as mediocre and forgettable as at any ordinary takeout place. Wonton Soup is another thing I wouldn't order at Grand Sichuan (though I'm sure it's OK), but the Sichuan Shrimp Dumplings are terrific!

As for Sichuan Pepper, are you sure you couldn't get used to its texture, since you liked its taste?

Pan,

If I lived in the city, yes, I think I could try and get used to the peppercorns in the dish, but because we visit NYC on average about once a month, by the time we go again, we will have another place we are looking forward to trying. There are places in NYC that blow me away, like Gramercy Tavern, that I must go back to to see if they blow me away again, which they do, otherwise we just move on. Grand Sichuan was interesting and fun but NYC has so much to offer for the occaisional visitor that I just can't go back for good, I go back for great! Looking for great is such a fun pastime!

HC

We pretty much always have the beef tendon, and it's rare that we don't order the kung bao chicken.  Another great appetizer is the cured pork with garlic shoots, and I am very fond of the Sichuan pickled cabbage with red oil.  We get those a lot.  We also get the spicy double cooked pork fairly often, and the sour string beans.  These are all "GSIM classics" as far as I am concerned.  There are other good dishes there, the crispy quail, the tea smoked duck... things like that.  They're good, but not in the same category, IMO.

The real secret to GSIM, I think, is to make sure you go in a group -- four at a minimum, and six or eight is probably better.  That way you can have several of the greatest hits dishes and branch out to several others.

I've stumbled into both of those pork dishes during my delivery at work odysseys. Great dishes, though they could both use those rice cakes because that bacon-pork (it's pork belly, right?) is rich.

Going with six people would be great -- unfortunately I've done the exact opposite, ordering one or two dishes by myself for lunch and eating the leftovers for dinner. The sour strings and the kung bao are the only dishes I've ordered more than once. Never had the cabbage with red oil, only without.

You're down for a trip soon, Soba?

Of course. Name the day and the time and I'll be there. (Evenings preferred. I'm returning to work tomorrow on account of being able to walk again. :biggrin: )

Soba

Does the G.S. at 50th and 9th take reservations? My family from California and Pennsylvania will be in New York for a wedding and this sounds like a good place for dinner the next day for our party of 10-12.

Thanks!

Roz

Roz, I've never personally made reservations at the Hell's Kitchen branch, but I feel pretty sure you could make reservations there. The branch in Chelsea (which is good but not as good as the Hell's Kitchen branch) certainly takes reservations.

Michael aka "Pan"

I was born in the Bronx and raised in Queens and Freeport, Long Island;

I thought I knew Manhattan, but I guess I don't! Is 50th St and 9th Avenue really Hell's Kitchen(as in the movie "In America")?? Somehow I thought Hell's Kitchen was more downtown. I would rather go to the G.S. that has better food, but now I'm not so sure my family will appreciate the neighborhood. Am I being squeamish?

Roz

I just saw "In America" this past weekend and questioned whether places like that still exist near Columbus Circle. Hell's Kitchen was dangerous in the 70s and 80s. It's safe now. Go.

Michael aka "Pan"

Does the G.S. at 50th and 9th take reservations? My family from California and Pennsylvania will be in New York for a wedding and this sounds like a good place for dinner the next day for our party of 10-12.

Thanks!

Roz

I've made reservations at the Hell's Kitchen branch for a party of 8 and it worked out fine.

I was born in the Bronx and raised in Queens and Freeport, Long Island;

I thought I knew Manhattan, but I guess I don't! Is 50th St and 9th Avenue really Hell's Kitchen(as in the movie "In America")?? Somehow I thought Hell's Kitchen was more downtown. I would rather go to the G.S. that has better food, but now I'm not so sure my family will appreciate the neighborhood. Am I being squeamish?

Roz

Yes - It (50th & 9th ) is Hell's Kitchen - bt really Clinton. It is safe - they (Westies) never bothered locals - only folks from Queens and the Island :raz: Westies are long gone - busted and put away. :raz:

anil

I have worked 6 blocks away from the 50th St. branch for the past 7 years, and had only eaten there once until today. (I know, I should hang my head in shame.) Thanks to everyone's recommendations, my coworkers and I had a wonderful meal with no disappointments. Needless to say, we'll be back more often! :smile:

Got the Dan Dan Noodles for the first try and they were fantastic.

Also tried the spicy double-cooked pork for the first time -- it was good (I've never been disappointed there in like eleven meals), but I prefer the sweet version.

I have a whole mental list of things to order, from the cold vegetable dish on the menu with the long names to fish.

Also, has anyone tried the lamb dish that they have? Seemed intriguing, but I didn't want to venture there without a recommendation if I was eating solo, so I didn't go for it.

Okay... seriously.  We need to get together a GSIM feast of Biblical proportions.

I'd do it, but I really don't have any time. (And I did my duty arranging in eG dinner in San Francisco.)

Sorry if this was obvious to everyone else, but I just found out the difference between "freshly killed chicken" and regular chicken. A friend was asked on the phone whether he'd like "fresh or frozen" Au Zhou chicken! When it was put that way, my friend, usually a cheap skate, lunch-special orderer, chose fresh. :smile:

They never ask me whether I'd like fresh or frozen; I always tell them what I'd like.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

went for the 1st time this weekend to 9th ave location. dan dan, dumplings in red oil, shrimp toast, scallion pancakes, pork buns, kung bao chicken. best kung boa EVER. best pork bun and dumplings EVER. my son said the shrimp toast was average, I did not have any. the dan dan noodles were very good . we stopped by on the way back out to jersey and bot 8 pork buns for his school lunch.

Okay... seriously.  We need to get together a GSIM feast of Biblical proportions.

I would love to join you in a group dinner and expand my horizons at GS.I always seem to order the same 3 dishes with same 2 friends. Count me in anytime.!