• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Sichuan International

Pan

JJ, couldn't you just ask for the cold vegetable dish from the Prodigal Daughter menu? It's got some long name that includes "threaded silk," as I recall.

That squid is nothing like sweet and sour! It's oily and very spicy and comes with crunchy pieces of some kind of melon or something.

It's not always easy communicating over the phone. But I'll try the squid very soon!

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I feel kind of silly asking this, but does anyone know if they devein the shrimp here? I'd like to visit with my girlfriend, who is kind of particular about that, and we usually just get blank stares when we ask on site about that at a Chinese restaurant. Thanks,

Josh

As I previously mentioned at some point in this thread, my favorite dish from "Mao's Home Cooking" is Spicy and Sour Squid, and it's great!

I hope that was somewhat helpful. :smile:

That dish was great, Pan! Very tender squid, soft cucumber, scallions and sheets of a waterchestnut-like vegetable. The dish was spicy and the sauce, unlike the red oil that seems to immerse and flavor many of the dishes at GS, was lighter, a bit more like broth.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I order from the Grand Sichuan on 2nd ave in the mid-50's often.. I really enjoy alot of dishes there and last night was no exception. One dish I had was the sliced fish with sour cabbage soup I was very impressed.. Has anyone had this?

From my post in this thread on April 23, 2003:

My father wanted lotus root but wasn't sure if it was in season, so he asked whether it was available. It was. We were given the option of sliced or shredded, and shredded was chosen. Since the Aui Zhou Chicken and Sichuan-style soft-shell crabs were both quite peppery, a non-spicy lotus root dish was requested.

Everyone liked all the dishes that were ordered. The cucumber and the chicken were particularly appreciated, but the lotus root was judged by my brother, at least, as the best dish of all. It came in small lengthwise slices, and was cooked in a chicken broth-based sauce.

Michael aka "Pan"

I think it was.. I am pretty sure it was S64 on the menu. It came with tofu, chives, and these blossums.. Which almost tasted like soy nuts or sunflower seeds. The dish was pretty spicy in a red pepper sauce, but so good. It was thicker and held together better then the spring water sauce.

This sunday i ordered in from the grand sichuan over on 34 and lexington. I was really disappointed, i normally order from the one on 54th and 2nd, but i decided to switch it up. The food was so greasy, that if this would have been my first experience with grand sichuan, i would not have gone back. Has anyone seen such a large variation from restaurant to restaurant.

I order from the Grand Sichuan on 2nd ave in the mid-50's often.. I really enjoy alot of dishes there and last night was no exception. One dish I had was the sliced fish with sour cabbage soup I was very impressed.. Has anyone had this?

YES! My girlfriend and I had it both times we've been there, and we can't stop talking about it- it's delicious! Does anyone know what the base for that soup is?

YES! My girlfriend and I had it both times we've been there, and we can't stop talking about it- it's delicious! Does anyone know what the base for that soup is?

Well that is the basis for my question about the other grand sichuan locations.. At the grand sichuan on 54th street i believe it is a fish stock that makes the base for the soup.. However, when i ordered the same soup at the grand sichuan on 34 and lex, it was clearly a chicken stock base.. I noticed there was chicken fat floating in the soup. And it was really horrible to have the chicken stock fighting all the other flavors.

Daniel,

I tried the soup today for lunch. Very good, very soothing. I wish there was a little more cabbage, though. And the fish?! It's definitely not plain old sliced fish flesh. My guess is that it's fish maw, but I could be wrong. Any other ideas?

I also tried the "Diced Rabbit with Hot and Peppery Sauce," from the cold dishes. Almost every bite had me spitting little shards of bone onto my plate. Otherwise, it was excellent. The rabbit tasted pleasantly gamy and came with crunchy peanuts and scallions. If anyone tries it, make sure to tell GS you want it very spicy, because I think they held back on the spice in my order. Too bad.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I also tried the "Diced Rabbit with Hot and Peppery Sauce," from the cold dishes. Almost every bite had me spitting little shards of bone onto my plate. Otherwise, it was excellent. The rabbit tasted pleasantly gamy and came with crunchy peanuts and scallions.

Yea... the bones can be a real hassle with that dish. If it weren't for the fact that it's like half bone, I'd order it more often. As it is, I have it around 40% of the time.

If anyone tries it, make sure to tell GS you want it very spicy, because I think they held back on the spice in my order. Too bad.

Dude, they must have dumbed it down because you ordered takeout... or maybe they know Eric Malson and me enough by now to know that we like things really spicy. Because, let me tell you, that's the hottest thing I've ever had from their menu. Definitely hotter than the braised beef fillets in red oil, and that's saying something. Asking for that dish "very spicy" -- man, I can't even imagine that. They would have to serve it with a shot of Pepto Bismol and a side of Tucks. :cool:

--

Dude, they must have dumbed it down because you ordered takeout... or maybe they know Eric Malson and me enough by now to know that we like things really spicy. Because, let me tell you, that's the hottest thing I've ever had from their menu.

Can't wait for the day I walk in there with you two! It's hard to get anything very spicy when it's being delivered. I think they need to see in your eyes that you want it as spicy as they're willing to make it.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Dude, they must have dumbed it down because you ordered takeout... or maybe they know Eric Malson and me enough by now to know that we like things really spicy.  Because, let me tell you, that's the hottest thing I've ever had from their menu. 

Can't wait for the day I walk in there with you two! It's hard to get anything very spicy when it's being delivered. I think they need to see in your eyes that you want it as spicy as they're willing to make it.

Yea, well... let me know when you're usually free. We're there at least 3 times a month, if not more frequently.

--

Dude, they must have dumbed it down because you ordered takeout... or maybe they know Eric Malson and me enough by now to know that we like things really spicy.  Because, let me tell you, that's the hottest thing I've ever had from their menu. 

Yea, well... let me know when you're usually free. We're there at least 3 times a month, if not more frequently.

Um, that would be you, Sam.

I'm there more like 2-3 times a week.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

Um, that would be you, Sam.

I'm there more like 2-3 times a week.

And you guys still have working stomachs?! I've been eating the moderately spicy stuff at work about 4 times a week for the last month and I think my stomach now has a hole in it. :smile:

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I tried the soup today for lunch. Very good, very soothing. I wish there was a little more cabbage, though. And the fish?! It's definitely not plain old sliced fish flesh. My guess is that it's fish maw, but I could be wrong. Any other ideas?

Bites on my leftovers suggest that there is slices of fish flesh among the "something else."

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Yea... the bones can be a real hassle with that dish. If it weren't for the fact that it's like half bone, I'd order it more often. As it is, I have it around 40% of the time.

The unpredictability of the bones is what kills the dish. You have a bite of the rabbit meat, peanuts and scallions, and it's great. The next bite you think you're crunching into a peanut but when you bite down harder, you almost crack a tooth.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com