• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Airport Food Elsewhere in Europe

Airport Food Elsewhere in Europe

Käfer's Bistro is evidently one of a chain of Munich-based spinoffs of a sort-of French bistro. We had a very long layover in Frankfort and so, needed some nourriture between 1 PM and 3:20 PM. The menu was pretty extensive, with a business lunch and specials; we chose to have only a couple of things: I had the weiner schnitzel with potatoes with ham bits and a dish of currant jam – terrific; and Colette had a salad with tomato and mozarella and balsamic and good black bread; with it we had a fine, albeit thin, house Shiraz from Australia. Espresso and schnaps were obtained at the Red Carpet Club. Bill – 70 €; the fizzy water was 7.5 €, ouch. But a pretty good meal not withstanding.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Käfer in Munich is sort of a gourmet food store with a rather nice restaurant upstairs. Worth visiting if you are ever in town. I haven't tried any of the other outposts but they've catered some events I've been to, quite good. I think the Munich airport has a Dallmayr as well, similar thing.

Munich airport has the amusing option of Airbräu, and in-airport brewery. I haven't tried it but their March beer follows the traditional naming pattern: Aviator.

My one tip for visitors to Munich is, if you arrive on a weekend, you can do your basic supermarket shopping at the EDEKA in the airport, as everything in town will be closed. You'll pay through the nose for it, of course, but it's nice to have milk for the next morning's coffee.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Käfer in Munich is sort of a gourmet food store with a rather nice restaurant upstairs. Worth visiting if you are ever in town.

I can't recommend the restaurant. Have been there two times and was very disappointed about service and food-price relationship. The food store is the place where the Bavarian "Schickeria" and "Bussi-Bussi" (trendy jet set) society meets together for shopping. One can get sometimes better food quality at a lower price in the basement of the Kaufhof close to the Marienplatz, IMHO.

Edited by legourmet (log)

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

• 8 months later...

Kuffler & Bucher Terminal 1B. We had a forced 5-hour layover in Frankfurt due to a 24-hour all-transport strike in Italy so I had to have lunch again in the airport and getting downtown and back through security at this grossly-mismanaged airport was an impossibility. I didn’t see Käfer's Bistro when I went to the food area this time, but I spotted its sister place Kuffler & Bucher so I entered without Colette who was off her feed. I had a quite nice plate of wurst and sauerkraut with ham bits as well as a half-bottle of red wine that came to 31.80 €. For airport food it was quite OK.

Go back? If under similar circumstances, sure.

..... Once at the Hbf, zillions of stores, cheaper than airport wares, if time permits get a cab to the "Fressgasse" a street just for "eats". But in the main departure Hall at the airport are some gourmet shops, a British one, name escapes (pricey!)

Just Don't do-it. FRA as been transmuting into a very finicky place w.r.t to security checks.

BTW - I agree with the above comment from anil that this place is the most unpleasant airport in the world – they still haven’t figured out how to move you from one secure (eg after going through security) area to another and all United/Lufthansa flights, at least, require a change of gates, arms, etc. Last trip we went through security/etc. four times. In addition, sometime between 2 and 3:30 PM you are forced out of wherever you are, in our case the club, and marched through security yet again.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris