• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Pie Pastry

I am after the perfect pork pie recipe (melton mowbray type)

My filling is just right: small diced pork, sage, salt and pepper and a touch of anchovy purree.

I am looking for a crispier hot water pastry, my last lot was: 9oz flour, 3oz lard dissolved in the boiling water.

Then the pie was baked about an hour and a half cooled then the aspic.

It was o/k but I would like the pastry a bit crispier, so any suggestions for a crispier hot water crust would be welcome.

Thanks

Norman Walsh

I am after the perfect pork pie recipe (melton mowbray type)

My filling is just right: small diced pork, sage, salt and pepper and a touch of anchovy purree.

I am looking for a crispier hot water pastry, my last lot was: 9oz flour, 3oz lard dissolved in the boiling water.

Then the pie was baked about an hour and a half cooled then the aspic.

It was o/k but I would like the pastry a bit crispier, so any suggestions for a crispier hot water crust would be welcome.

Thanks

Norman Walsh

dunno but i wonder what if you taste like if you used foie gras fat as part of the mix with the lard

sacralegious (sp) but probably tasty...

;-)

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

It may just be supersition, but I think that hot-water crust pastry is crisper when made with 5-10g of icing sugar added to the flour. I have done it with and without and I think it's better with...

Yes I remember reading that quite a while ago about adding icing sugar.

When you say 5 to 10grams to what quantity of flour?

Another tip I got from the replies was using a percentage of cornflour.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Norman Walsh