• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Colored Cocoa Butter: The Topic

sirch1980

• 1 month later...
I’m trying to purchase Power Flowers but can't find a US supplier. The only US supplier that seems to carry them (The Chef's Warehouse) only sells to companies and not individual households/hobbyists. Does anyone have extra power flowers I can purchase from? I need red and yellow.

Alternatively, would someone be willing to help me purchase Power Flowers from The Chef’s Warehouse? I attempted to open an account with them but can’t because I’m not a company.

Edited by no10 (log)

58 minutes ago, no10 said:

I’m trying to purchase Power Flowers but can find a US supplier. The only US supplier that seems to carry them (The Chef's Warehouse)

I used to have an account with them but I guess I don't anymore.

You can get loose/powder fat-dispersable Roxy & Rich colors from either chocolat-chocolat or webstaurant store, if that helps ...

2 hours ago, no10 said:
I’m trying to purchase Power Flowers but can find a US supplier. The only US supplier that seems to carry them (The Chef's Warehouse) only sells to companies and not individual households/hobbyists. Does anyone have extra power flowers I can purchase from? I need red and yellow.

Alternatively, would someone be willing to help me purchase Power Flowers from The Chef’s Warehouse? I attempted to open an account with them but can’t because I’m not a company.

I've got a bunch

5 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

I used to have an account with them but I guess I don't anymore.

You can get loose/powder fat-dispersable Roxy & Rich colors from either chocolat-chocolat or webstaurant store, if that helps ...

Thanks for the suggestion @pastrygirl. I am considering going the fat-soluble powder route but wanted to try procuring the Power Flowers first (it's so convenient since they tell you exactly how many of each color to add to white chocolate to achieve a specific shade).

Edited by no10 (log)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone. I am relatively new to chocolate making, and I hope it's ok to ask the question. I have started dabbling in using coloured cocoa butter for my bonbons. I make the colours myself using CB and while the results are turning out great (shiny and vibrant), I notice there is a distinct smell and taste notes that the cocoa butter adds overall to the chocolate. One I'm not so keen on.

My CB is new and purchased from a food store. I (think) I am doing relatively thin coats, but that smell and taste just really lingers.
It's all applied using brushes or sponges or fingers etc. 

Is this something that is just normal? Am I doing something wrong? or should I look at a different kind of cocoa butter?
Purchasing coloured cocoa butter in NZ seems to be really hard or expensive, so I am just making my own using the cocoa butter and color mill coloring design for chocolate.

20 hours ago, cece said:

I notice there is a distinct smell and taste notes that the cocoa butter adds overall to the chocolate. One I'm not so keen on.

Somewhere on eGullet I posted on this subject.  I too found the (premixed) colored cocoa butter I use to have an unpleasant odor and taste.  Since then either I have gotten accustomed to the smell/taste or I have begun using a fresher product.  I still find that white cocoa butter has a smell, as do other colors that use a lot of white, but it doesn't seem as obnoxious.  I eventually concluded that fresh cocoa butter is essential.  I now use Cacao Barry, and when I open a new tub, I get a very faint odor of chocolate, but nothing terrible.  Mixed colored cocoa butter definitely gets an odor as it ages.

In spite of the issues,  I have never found that the odor/taste carried over to a finished bonbon.  Chocolate used for the shell and the filling used inside appear to overwhelm anything unpleasant.  I have never had a customer mention the issue.

On 11/15/2023 at 5:57 AM, Jim D. said:

Somewhere on eGullet I posted on this subject.  I too found the (premixed) colored cocoa butter I use to have an unpleasant odor and taste.  Since then either I have gotten accustomed to the smell/taste or I have begun using a fresher product.  I still find that white cocoa butter has a smell, as do other colors that use a lot of white, but it doesn't seem as obnoxious.  I eventually concluded that fresh cocoa butter is essential.  I now use Cacao Barry, and when I open a new tub, I get a very faint odor of chocolate, but nothing terrible.  Mixed colored cocoa butter definitely gets an odor as it ages.

In spite of the issues,  I have never found that the odor/taste carried over to a finished bonbon.  Chocolate used for the shell and the filling used inside appear to overwhelm anything unpleasant.  I have never had a customer mention the issue.

Thanks for your response. I felt like I was the only one having this issue, but I feel reassured. It is def the butter and not my colouring.
I have found that using larger chocolate moulds seems to have a less shell to filling ratio and so the taste is very minimal now. I will also look around and try other cocoa butter. Unfortunately in NZ and a hobbiest in this field, it can be a bit hard to find products.

• 2 months later...

@Kerry Beal @pastrygirl  This is a continuation of our discussion that originally began under the topic of cleaning colored cocoa butter from molds.  It's probably more relevant here.

First, I concluded that the little chips that came off a lot of shells (shown in previous thread) were caused by cleaning the molds on top of a food warming tray that was too warm.  If it had been caused just by rubbing them too vigorously on shop towels, the CCB would have come off completely; instead it stuck in the mold when I unmolded.  However, the rubbing procedure is relevant (see below).

I did my experimentation on whether CCB needs to be tempered.   I used the Fuji to spray both molds.  Although the bonbons in the photo below appear not to be colored, they are--with Chef Rubber's idea of what magenta looks like.  I sprayed one mold with untempered CCB around 90-95F/32-35C.  Excess CCB was very easy to remove because it was not starting to crystallize; in fact, it took more than a half-hour for the CCB to attain the matte look and not come off when I touched it.  I was sure I faced a daunting task of cleaning the mold.  The second mold I sprayed with CCB I had tempered with 1% by weight of silk (today I happened on a video by Brian Donaghy of Tomric, and he recommended 3%).  It was at 86F/30C (I think this is the temp recommended by Andrey Dubovik).  It took much longer to attain the matte look than what I have been getting by using more silk, but the time was more like 15 minutes.  Again, it was easy to clean the excess CCB from the mold.

I filled both molds with tempered chocolate and let it crystallize.  To my surprise, both unmolded equally easily--only a light tap on the counter was necessary.  In the photo below the top group is with untempered CCB; the bottom is tempered.  There is a defect in one untempered bonbon, the left bonbon in the second row (a bit of CCB stuck in the mold), but aside from that, I saw no other defect, and both are equally shiny.  Before I filled the molds with chocolate, I did note that there were some spots with missing CCB on the top edges of the molds (such as showed up in the original post).  I assumed this was from rubbing on the towels and was able to replicate the issue by additional rubbing (the fact that the CCB was not crystallizing so fast gave me more time to experiment).  I don't know what to do about this except to rub more gently or perhaps find towels that aren't so rough in texture.

Conclusions:  This was a very limited experiment, but tempering CCB does not appear to be necessary when airbrushing.  Going without, however, takes considerably more time for the CCB to crystallize and may be responsible for the one defect (though this is not certain).  I am left to puzzle over several issues:  Did the untempered CCB ever properly crystallize?  If the act of spraying is supposed to temper it, then it should have firmed up much more quickly.  When we temper chocolate, don't we say that the temper is subpar if crystallizing takes a long time?  But what happens to the common explanation that CCB sticks in a mold when it isn't tempered?  We are left to puzzle over whether the legion of chocolatiers who recommend tempering CCB know something that didn't show up in my experiment.  If one is using silk to temper CCB, my experiment suggests that in the past I have been using too much and, as a result, the CCB was crystallizing immediately on being sprayed and was prone to sticking in the mold and to being very difficult to clean off the mold.

PXL_20240216_150016907.thumb.jpg.cdab70d27f79b6b524cb91ad6bedeaaf.jpg

Edited by Jim D. (log)
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Although the bonbons in the photo below appear not to be colored, they are--with Chef Rubber's idea of what magenta looks like.

😂

If you're spraying so much CB that wiping off over-spray is a whole necessary thing and that's all the color you get, that is super weak.  Is it natural or just lame?

9 hours ago, Jim D. said:

This was a very limited experiment, but tempering CCB does not appear to be necessary when airbrushing. 

Welcome to the dark side.  The CB should set up more quickly than that, still within 2-5 min like regular chocolate, though sometimes it doesn't and they still turn out fine. I don't actually temp my CB, just go with 'warm but not hot' on the inside of my arm. Like a baby's bottle.  And I shake it a lot.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

51 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

If you're spraying so much CB that wiping off over-spray is a whole necessary thing and that's all the color you get, that is super weak.  Is it natural or just lame?

It's a regular Chef Rubber color (one I don't like and could easily use for experimentation).  The bonbons are fully covered; it must be the light that makes them look otherwise.  The Fuji does spray more than an airbrush, but it is much faster.  It's a tradeoff, one I am willing to make, esp. at times like Christmas. 

As for wiping off overspray, just about every chocolate-spraying video I have watched includes that.   If I let it fully crystallize on top of the mold, I have a terrible time cleaning it off later.

16 hours ago, Jim D. said:

The Fuji does spray more than an airbrush, but it is much faster.  It's a tradeoff, one I am willing to make,

You keep saying that, but I'm not convinced.  How big is the Fuji?

I just got a sagola 0.8mm, the spray pattern is 3-4".  So far I've only tried it on larger molds, not my small bonbons.

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

You keep saying that, but I'm not convinced.  How big is the Fuji?

I just got a sagola 0.8mm, the spray pattern is 3-4".  So far I've only tried it on larger molds, not my small bonbons.

Not sure what you mean by "how big is the Fuji?"  Are you referring to physical dimensions or volume of the spray cup?  And I'm not trying to convince you.  People have different priorities.

The Sagola looks very much like the Fuji.

On 2/18/2024 at 3:23 AM, Rajala said:

I blast my molds with cocoa butter as well. :D

Do you buy colors by the kg?  Do you attempt to scrape off and save the excess or is the time savings still greater than the cost of the CB?

17 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Do you buy colors by the kg?  Do you attempt to scrape off and save the excess or is the time savings still greater than the cost of the CB?

I'm only doing this as a hobby, so it doesn't matter too much. But I do scrape it off and save it!

• Like 1