• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Colored Cocoa Butter: The Topic

The ingredients are... Food additives(sorbitol, glycerol, carboxymethyl cellulose, potassium sorbate), water. I use for macaroni, cakes and frostings.

I am testing with a mould and these colorants are not that good. I am going to get the good colouring cocoa butter, for bonbons. Thanks.

• Like 1
On 12/21/2020 at 10:40 PM, Rajala said:

The only alternative I've seen is from Chef Rubber, and I can't source it here. It's way too expensive. It's strange that PCB for example doesn't have an alternative, they're even a French company where it's forbidden these days

I've seen some other ones like Avalance from Sensient food colours and Chr. Hansen has something as well however these aren't available to consumers. It's a shame that these or similar products are not available as titanium dioxide is getting banned in some places.

On 12/24/2020 at 1:45 AM, Elkyfr said:

The ingredients are... Food additives(sorbitol, glycerol, carboxymethyl cellulose, potassium sorbate), water. I use for macaroni, cakes and frostings.

I am testing with a mould and these colorants are not that good. I am going to get the good colouring cocoa butter, for bonbons. Thanks.

As has already been suggested in this thread, you must have oil-based colorants when working with chocolate.  Water and cocoa butter don't mix (unless, of course, you are deliberately making an emulsion with them).  I don't know what country you are in, but look for "oil-based" before you buy, regardless of whether it is pre-mixed colors or powder that you will mix with plain cocoa butter yourself.

You also wrote about backing colors with white.  Unfortunately, that is required with some colors, and you really know which ones only by experimenting.  It often depends on how much titanium dioxide has been mixed in (since it blocks all colors). Most red cocoa butter, for instance, turns dark red/brownish when dark chocolate is behind it.  But yellows, orange, light blue are usually OK without a white layer.  I have found, however, that even colors that block most other colors (orange, for instance) show up brighter when there is a layer of white.  You can experiment by melting the colored cocoa butter, spreading a little of it on a transparent surface (a piece of clear plastic, for example), letting it set, then spreading some melted chocolate on top of part of the colored area.  When you turn the plastic upside down, you will see how the cocoa butter will show up with and without chocolate behind it.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Jurjen said:

I've seen some other ones like Avalance from Sensient food colours and Chr. Hansen has something as well however these aren't available to consumers. It's a shame that these or similar products are not available as titanium dioxide is getting banned in some places.

As it gets banned in more places, the replacements are more likely to be widely available. I guess there is little profit in selling these now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone! New to the chocolate world... I've begun experimenting with making my own colored cocoa butter- and got some fat dispersible Chef Rubber colored powder for starters. I've done a few batches of their black powder but am having a really tough time blending it (there appear to be little "specks" in the butter). After mixing with an immersion blender, I strain through fine mesh sieve (with cheesecloth over it), but there still appears to be chunky specs in it... any tips or suggestions I should try? I've got some Roxy & Rich that I'm going to try as well to see if I have better luck with that. Thank you! -Jeff

image0.jpeg

57 minutes ago, JeffreyJames said:

Hi Everyone! New to the chocolate world... I've begun experimenting with making my own colored cocoa butter- and got some fat dispersible Chef Rubber colored powder for starters. I've done a few batches of their black powder but am having a really tough time blending it (there appear to be little "specks" in the butter). After mixing with an immersion blender, I strain through fine mesh sieve (with cheesecloth over it), but there still appears to be chunky specs in it... any tips or suggestions I should try? I've got some Roxy & Rich that I'm going to try as well to see if I have better luck with that. Thank you! -Jeff

image0.jpeg

Really vicious mix with the immersion blender and strain through pantyhose rather than cheesecloth 

• Thanks 1
  • Similar Content

• By pastrygirl
      Here's a chocolate fail for you - how on earth do molds end up like this? 
      I went to a cooking school liquidation sale this morning, was expecting used equipment but not quite so abused!

I did pick through and found several that looked in good shape.  They can toss this one in the recycle bin!
    • By rookie
      I am making molded bunnies for Easter and I am finding that the
      necks are cracking and the head breaks away from the body. I have noticed that the neck is not as thick as the rest of the bunny. Total grams for this bunny is 200.
      Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this? Oh yeah I didn't mention that after pouring into molds I place in the refridgerator.
      Any suggestions are welcome!
      Cheers
      Mary - Rookie
    • By GRiker
      Looks like you’re in the Washington Post this morning, Congratulations! 🎊 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/food/2021/01/31/chocolates-valentines-day/%3foutputType=amp
    • By no10
      Hello eGForums,

I'm curious if anyone has purchased these ganache and caramel ruler bars (https://www.tcfsales.com/products/658-ganache-and-caramel-ruler-bars-set-of-2-ea/) from TCF before or has experience with this company? Are they a reputable company?

It costs $87.96 (not including shipping) to purchase 4 stainless steel square bars, measuring 1/2" x 1/2" x 15" L, which seems like a reasonable price relative to other companies. Correct me if I'm wrong. Does anyone suggest other companies to purchase bars from?

On a related topic, I know that a possibly more affordable alternative would be to visit a local metal fabricator and purchase metal bars from them. My concern is purchasing bars that are made from an alloy and finish that is 'food-safe'. Does anyone know what grade/alloy and finish of stainless steel is 'food-safe'? Does anyone know what grade/alloy and finish of aluminum is 'food-safe'?

• By no10
      Several of Greweling's recipes call for the use of a round piping tip. I'm not familiar with what sizing system he's using. When he says to use a "no. [integer] round tip", what does the [integer] correspond to in millimeters or inches? For example, what is the diameter of a no. 3 round tip used by Greweling?