• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Colored Cocoa Butter: The Topic

sirch1980

Hello
I am Mehdi from Iran
I translate from Google Translate and I don't know much English
I want to start a new business
Regarding the transfer of chocolate sheets
I am fully acquainted with silk screen printing and I know that chocolate transfer sheets are formed by silk screen printing.
But I don't know how to make colored cocoa butter for printing
This must be a special combination
If you have any information in this regard, please help me
Thankful

On 5/22/2020 at 8:12 AM, EsaK said:

Thanks for all the replies and thoughts everyone! I shall investigate the temps of the CCBs more closely. 

The CW colors are not solid at room temp but liquid, since they are mostly rapeseed oil. For example yellow has rapeseed oil, coloring E100, thickener E1520 and soy lecithin as emulsifier. 

With this limited experience, I wouldn't really recommend these CW liposoluble colors to anyone. Much better choices out there, and you don't really seem to gain anything by going with these I'm afraid. 

It's starting to feel more like @pastrygirl had the correct hunch. I'll ask the manufacturer and see what they'll say. I also got some powdered white from Pavoni. Mixed it with cocoa butter and painted some molds yesterday. Much more vivid color and none of those circles. 

• Like 1

@EsaK I’m curious what these liquid oil colors are designed for. Is there any description or suggested use on the packaging?  They might be meant for coloring hard candy or glazes rather than chocolate. Can you post a pic or link?

10 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

@EsaK I’m curious what these liquid oil colors are designed for. Is there any description or suggested use on the packaging?  They might be meant for coloring hard candy or glazes rather than chocolate. Can you post a pic or link?

They're from Chocolate World, see here. They say "suitable for intense colouring of fat masses", specifying cocoa butter and white chocolate. Either the ones I received were "Monday pieces" (I'm quite sure the yellow one is actually, as it's completely useless as the colour pigments have broken from the oil) or these are not really that great with CB or chocolate. Nor would I say that these give intense colouring. When you put more of the colouring to make it moro intense, you get to the negative effects of having higher proportion of rapeseed oil to CB. 

I'm very curious to hear if anyone else has used these with better success! 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, EsaK said:

Either the ones I received were "Monday pieces" (I'm quite sure the yellow one is actually, as it's completely useless as the colour pigments have broken from the oil) 

If it has separated, maybe you can pour off the oil and use the concentrated, less oily pigment?  I wonder how you can force the other colors to separate, maybe heat well then let sit? I've had cocoa butter colors separate sitting in the melter too long but they're fine after shaking up.  Chocolate stuff is always expensive, it hurts to have to throw anything away!

What I'm trying to figure out is how Stick With Me Sweets gets these colors so vibrant and full! Even on the dark background. I can see that there's overlap, but even on the parts the stripes that are not overlapping, the color is still vivid, with just the right amount of transparency. My homemade colors look so thin :(

353092876_ScreenShot2020-05-28at1_29_42PM.thumb.png.0b6dbc2a8c7b91377769c32ed3b2d26b.png

This thread inspired me to mix up some colors today!  Any ideas on why the colors are sort of flat and bleed around the edges? I suspect it's because the mixture is so thin. Chef Rubber's colors seem so much thicker than just cocoa butter and powdered color, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

(And I hope everyone is staying sane and healthy these days!)

1336540231_ScreenShot2020-05-28at5_46_58PM.thumb.png.ca4a1c11c05d206884ca9fb15e43faeb.png

219645082_ScreenShot2020-05-28at5_46_49PM.thumb.png.528377f714a2a29b119d3286bc9682bb.png

4 hours ago, SweetandSnappyJen said:

What I'm trying to figure out is how Stick With Me Sweets gets these colors so vibrant and full! Even on the dark background. I can see that there's overlap, but even on the parts the stripes that are not overlapping, the color is still vivid, with just the right amount of transparency. My homemade colors look so thin :(

353092876_ScreenShot2020-05-28at1_29_42PM.thumb.png.0b6dbc2a8c7b91377769c32ed3b2d26b.png

It's called titanium dioxide. Haha nice of Susanna Yoon to like her own pictures. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Hoping someone can help.

I have in the past used coloured white chocolate to coat moulds and I am now trying to use coloured cocoa butter. I have an airbrush and small compressor and have followed the usual guidance on coloured cocoa butter recipe but I am still having issues. I am using 5% coloured fat soluble powders to cocoa butter recipe and tempering, but once sprayed at around 31 degrees (airbrush and mould are both pre-warmed), the coat is very translucent, barely noticeable at all and some just puddles in the bottom of the mould. Im not sure if its my recipe, my airbrush or both. I cant really afford a big compressor and HVLP spray gun at present but really need to start producing coloured chocolates. Any pointers or guidance would be great.

Thanks

Neil

If you are spraying on dark chocolate, you'll need to add titanium dioxide to make the colors show up.  As is, you will only see the color on white chocolate, and it may still be light.  

Hi, thanks for your reply. Im not even up tot he point of moulding the chocolate. This is literally, spraying the empty chocolate moulds with coloured cocoa butter. There is lots of cocoa butter coming out of the nozzell of the airbrush, but its as if there is very little colour in the mixture as it is translucent until it is pooling at the bottom of the mould.

Maybe I need to add more colour to the cocoa butter, I dont really want to waste any more powder as i am running out. Thought it would be wise to ask before trying again.

Thanks

Neil

What Jim says - 10%. Your two options to make things opaque - add some titanium dioxide to the mix or spray the transparent colour then spray a layer of white behind it. 

Unless your work space is incredibly cold, like 60F/15C, there is no need to pre-warm your molds.  Warm cocoa butter on a warm mold will just slide off.  Warm CB on a cool mold will crystallize and stay put.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was going to stock up on colored cocoa butter for holiday bonbons then remembered I have way too much plain cocoa butter on hand and should use it up, so I think I'm going to make the leap to powder color.  Between Power Flowers, Chef Rubber, and Roxy & Rich, Roxy & Rich are priced best and I've been happy with their already-mixed colors so will probably go with them.  Couple questions for powder color users before I order:

Do you find the primary colors (red, blue, yellow) sufficient for mixing all the other colors you might like, or should I go ahead and get purple and green for convenience?

How much extra white is needed for opaque colors? 

And have we figured out how to make jewel colors - do the dry sparkly powders still sparkle and how large of an airbrush nozzle is needed to spray them?

thanks!

38 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I was going to stock up on colored cocoa butter for holiday bonbons then remembered I have way too much plain cocoa butter on hand and should use it up, so I think I'm going to make the leap to powder color.  Between Power Flowers, Chef Rubber, and Roxy & Rich, Roxy & Rich are priced best and I've been happy with their already-mixed colors so will probably go with them.  Couple questions for powder color users before I order:

Do you find the primary colors (red, blue, yellow) sufficient for mixing all the other colors you might like, or should I go ahead and get purple and green for convenience?

How much extra white is needed for opaque colors? 

And have we figured out how to make jewel colors - do the dry sparkly powders still sparkle and how large of an airbrush nozzle is needed to spray them?

thanks!

Hi, I use Roxy & Rich and love their products though I gotta admit, working with their white powder is a pain in the ass. I feel like there's always some micro clumps left so I never use it. I think you can go a long way with red, blue and yellow AND black. if you want pinkish hues, i'd try their pink powder, really vibrant!

To make a colour opaque I think you'll need to add at least 2-3% of colour powder to your cocoa butter. (it depends of the colour)

As for the sparkling powder, make sure they're Hybrid Sparkle Dust and not lustre dust. The lustre dusts do not diffuse the light as much and it takes out some of shine, imo.

If I add around 0.5 - 1% sparkling powder, I'm able to spray with a 0.5 nozzle.

You'll alway need to back your sparkling powder with at least 2-3% regular colour powder. otherwise the brown of the chocolate will take over like this:

121092280_395717781441855_5160447918966284126_n.jpg

• Like 3

Personally, I like to spray or paint a thin coat of somewhat translucent cocoa butter and then spray the sparkling powder (powder form) and then give a super thin coat of cocoa butter to seal the powder.  It gives a really nice finish!

120972031_784434112347949_5315450535329126450_n.jpg

• Like 2

@Muscadelle thank you!  I don't use a lot of pink but will def get some black. 

Is the first photo CB with only sparkle powder and no additional color?  Do you have the 'snow white' titanium dioxide or the plain white?  https://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/c210060/c378157873/c378157875/index.html

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

1 minute ago, pastrygirl said:

@Muscadelle thank you!  I don't use a lot of pink but will def get some black. 

Is the photo CB with only sparkle powder and no additional color?  Do you have the 'snow white' titanium dioxide or the plain white?  https://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/c210060/c378157873/c378157875/index.html

I have a feeling they're the same colour just different weight (even though they wrote a different name on chocolat-chocolat website) because if you look at the fat soluble powder on Roxy and Rich website, there's only one white. https://www.roxyandrich.com/food-coloring/fat-dispersible-food-colouring

Only sparkling gold power, you can see that the result is mehh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bentley said:

@MuscadelleSince you seem to have some experience with Roxy and Rich colors, do they have a color wheel or similar guide for mixing different shades using the various color powders they have?  Or is it just experimentation?

i don’t know if they have one, I simply follow my  instinct 😆

• Like 1

Following up, I had put in a query to Roxy & Rich, this is their response on creating your own jewel colors:

To create the metallic effect, the best option would be the Pearl Hybrid Lustre Dust (the 8 colours at the bottom with the code that starts with “LP“. These are small enough the be used with an air brush, however the best trick is to use a large tip and to make sure to keep the gun warm at all times to avoid the cocoa butter solidifying in the gun.

I ordered their fat soluble colors and a couple of the sparkle dusts (not the pearl), and already have some Chef Rubber pearl powders, will play around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

Following up, I had put in a query to Roxy & Rich, this is their response on creating your own jewel colors:

I ordered their fat soluble colors and a couple of the sparkle dusts (not the pearl), and already have some Chef Rubber pearl powders, will play around.

Yess, please post your experiments, would love to see the results!