• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

29 minutes ago, tschaefges said:

We use a dehydrator hooked to a temperature controller (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4TJR00/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Turn the dehydrator to a high temp, plug it into the controller and put the temperature probe in the middle tray of the dehydrator near the cocoa butter containers. We put our airbrush in there, too. The temperature controller will turn the dehydrator on and off to maintain the set temperature. Much more flexible and accurate than the thermostat on the dehydrator.

As a bonus, you can plug a small refrigerator into the controller set to cooling mode to use the fridge for chocolate work.

I've considered that idea as well. I've been into reptiles as pets for many years and have some really accurate high end temp controllers that I use to control enclosure temps. I have a couple sitting around not being used that are not as high end as the ones I'm currently using but they're still plenty accurate enough for this use so it would be an option I could try without investing in more equipment. The ones I'm using for the enclosures are proportional so they'd be even better at avoiding temperature spikes that temporarily overshoot the target but I'm not willing to remove those from my baby's homes or spend what they cost to use one for cocoa butter warming. :biggrin:

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

22 minutes ago, tschaefges said:

We use a dehydrator hooked to a temperature controller (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4TJR00/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Turn the dehydrator to a high temp, plug it into the controller and put the temperature probe in the middle tray of the dehydrator near the cocoa butter containers. We put our airbrush in there, too. The temperature controller will turn the dehydrator on and off to maintain the set temperature. Much more flexible and accurate than the thermostat on the dehydrator.

As a bonus, you can plug a small refrigerator into the controller set to cooling mode to use the fridge for chocolate work.

I've considered that idea as well. I've been into reptiles as pets for many years and have some really accurate high end temp controllers that I use to control enclosure temps. I have a couple sitting around not being used that are not as high end as the ones I'm currently using but they're still plenty accurate enough for this use so it would be an option I could try without investing in more equipment.