• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon Ramsay

I see they've updated the website to include a bit of info on his new ventures

Anyone know anymore info, looks like "The Narrow" will be opening first.

Paul

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

On the menu: devilled lambs kidneys on toast (5.50); Huntingdon fidget pie (bacon onion and apple pie according to google) and mash (9.50); braised pigs cheeks with bashed neeps (12.50); boiled salt beef and carrots (11.50); gyspy tart (4.50); baked rice pudding and jam (4.00);original bakewell pudding (4.50). Sounds alright actually.

I live nearby and had booked a table for the the opening night!

Just had a phone call from reservations to say the opening has been postponed for a week to the 26th March. They are trying to accomodate everyone who had already booked that week on preferred dates.

Lorna

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/restaurants/...viewId=23391482

Fay Maschler.

<i>Meanwhile, a menu which looked as if composed from book research starting with Dorothy Hartley (author of the 1950s Food in England) and concluding with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, turns out not to be theme-park stuff but traditional dishes prepared with empathy and skill by chef John Collin, previously working for Mark Sargeant at Gordon Ramsay at Claridges .</i>

I

• 2 years later...

Since we were leaving Heathrow relatively early, we decided to stay and eat nearby. I have enjoyed Gordon Ramsay’s eating essays (as in tries not writings) for a number of years in London and Paris and was interested to find that he had a pub, the Devonshire, not too far away, in Chiswick, a Bobo heaven I suspect, where parking was nigh impossible. There is a 2-course menu for 18.50 and 3-courses for 22.50, both with a glass of wine. We started with tasty fishcakes with tartar, a soup and a poached salmon. For the mains, I had the pork cutlet and it was ample but not terribly impressive tasting despite the lentil “sauce,” indeed none of the food was, including the asparagus and root vegetables. The “banoffee” pie and lemon sponge with clotted cream were acceptable. The service as well as timing between dishes was horrible. Our bill with a bottle and glass of wine was 101.59 ₤ before the imposed 12% service charge (which I would for the first time this week not have paid, had I the choice.)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Ahha. I see the Devonshire hasnt upped its game since I was there in May last year. Service was "leisurely" as was the pacing of dishes coming out of the kitchen. Bread and dessert were awful. Starter was OK. But a main of some of the best lamb I've ever eaten saved the evening.

John Hartley