• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The $1000 Pizza!

DTBarton

The pizza will be added to the menu at "Nino's Bellisima," one of Selimaj's six restaurants in the city. Forget traditional cheese and pizza sauce, the record-priced pie will be topped with creme fraiche, chives, eight ounces of four different kinds of Petrossian caviar, four ounces of thinly sliced Maine lobster tail, salmon roe, and a little bit of spice with wasabi.

$1000? Why spoil the caviar with all the other stuff? I think it is excessive and a poorly wrought publicity gimmick.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I clicked on the Drudge Report this morning to find out what is going on in the world. Turns out Nino Selimaj thinks people will pay 1000 dollars for a pizza topped with caviar, lobster, and creme fraiche. I'm not at all opposed to cheap things being transformed into luxury items, but this just doesn't seem very palatable. Keep in mind that the pizza isnt cooked and served hot, which would make it really gross....

Anyway, read about it here...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I'd rather keep the $1,000 and spend it on countless dinners at Cache Dinner Club .... and be Ling's and Hhlodesign's loyal customer.

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Yeah.... just like $10,00 cocktails or $1,000 coffee - yet another dumb publicity stunt but not really so dumb. The business offering the "super luxury" item is unlikely to ever sell a single one but they get plenty of free publicity.

Neiman-Marcus started this practice many, many years ago by having at least one insanely over-the-top item in their Christmas catalogue. And to this day all the major media outlets still report every year on what the latest Christmas season has brought in the NM catalogue.

Have any members eaten in this restaurant? Note in the picture Nino is featured with a gentleman in a dishwasher jacket. This man is who makes Nino rich. I've rambled about this on Lavender Sky.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

From Grub Street

Dense, a little fishy, and undoubtedly tasty, the slices, everyone finally agreed (once the suggestion had been made), tasted something like a bagel with lox and cream cheese.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

From Grub Street
Dense, a little fishy, and undoubtedly tasty, the slices, everyone finally agreed (once the suggestion had been made), tasted something like a bagel with lox and cream cheese.

A thousand dollars would buy one many many many bagels with lox and cream cheese.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I worked in a joint that offered a $250 sandwich... a small sandwich. We sold two in the time that I was there. From my estimation, the purchasers wouldn't have cared if we served them cat food on wonderbread (a might not have recognized the difference)... it was just the fact that it cost $250.

The whole concept of $50 burgers, $1,000 pizzas, and whatnot really bothers me. I look at the people that buy them and think, "your taxes aren't nearly high enough."

It is not stupid and it is a brilliant marketing ploy. Who cares how it tastes or who is going to purchase one. This story is all over the internet and being discussed everywhere. Nino's Bellisima couldn't buy that kind of publicity that fast for any price. It is called creating a "buzz", a common marketing trick companies do. There will be lots of people going there with no intention to pay $1,000 for a pizza but to maybe get a look at one or just to say they been there. The best of all is someone may buy one and I bet there is a lot of profit margin in it.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog