• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails with Tonic Water

JSilbert

Does anybody know any good cocktails that use tonic water (besides the obvious ones like Gin & Tonic, Vodka & Tonic and Rum & Tonic)?

I'm starting a company selling "premium" tonic water (it's called Q Tonic), and I'm updating the website. I figured it'd be nice to suggest a few new drinks for the world. The two that I like are one made with fresh ginger juice and vodka and a summer sangria where the tonic replaces the champagne. Does any one particularly like any other ones?

And just in case anyone's wondering, production (specifically the silkscreening) is taking longer than I hoped, so we're looking more like April rather than March for our launch. But I took the advice of the few of you who I sent prototype bottles to - I've made the final recipe a little sharper and a little more carbonated. I'm real happy with it and I'll be happy to send some along once it's ready.

Thanks, and if you have any questions, my email is Jordan@qtonicwater.com

Jordan

One I made that was particularly successful was Pineapple-infused Vodka and Tonic.

Tonic need not be limited to Gin n' and Vodka n' drinks. Believe it or not, Tequila n' Tonic is really quite good. I've never tried Rum n' Tonic, but I don't see why you couldnt build a good drink there.

For experimenting, I would try to build on the Something n' Tonic theme. Add a dash of something other than lime juice -- a cordial, either fruit or herbal, an aromatic wine, another type of fruit juice, try garnishing with other fruits or herbs, try adding bitters, orange flower water, etc.

Gary and Mardee Regan's Tart Gin Cooler (from New Classic Cocktails) is a great drink that incorporates tonic. Pour over ice: 2 oz gin, 3 oz grapefruit juice, 3 oz tonic water and a dash of Peychaud bitters, stir to combine.

Great summertime drink.

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if you want to go here, but there is the Mind Eraser.

Layer 1 oz of vodka, Kahlua, and tonic water in that order in an ice-filled Old Fashioned glass.

Insert a straw. You need to suck the drink up through the straw all at once so you get the ingredients in order, bottom to top.

• 1 month later...

Wasn't there an eGullet-eer who has thier own tonic? I sure would like to get ahold of them. Also I like to make my southside fizzes with tonic instead of soda.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Look at the top of this topic!

Tonic makes an excellent alternative to champagne or other fizzy wine for a number of the St. Germain elderflower "originals."

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

There's this one cocktail insanely popular in Japan (as are Campari highballs in general) but largely unknown anywhere else: the Spumoni.

* Campari

* 1/2 grapefruit juice

* 1/2 tonic water

Built on ice.

Refreshing. Even more so than just Campari and grapefruit. I'm told the name comes from a three-layer Italian frozen dessert, which sounds appropriate for this drink. :smile:

• 2 years later...

I've lately gotten hooked on Aquavit & Tonic. Like a G&T, but the liquor complexity runs off in a completely different direction and lemon works better than lime for the obligatory garnish. I have three Aquavits in my collection (one each from Norway, Denmark and Sweden); all three work very well and it's a different drink with each.

• Like 1

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

• 5 years later...

Amazing to see that Jordan Silbert, the founder of Q Tonic, started this thread.

There are a bunch of ideas in the New York Times today - Tequila & Tonic, Mezcal & Tonic, Rum & Tonic, White Port & Tonic, and even Calvados & Tonic!

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Fino and tonic is a delicious variation on the Rebujito—tastes like bitter apple juice.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

• 4 months later...

A bit of trivia that I found interesting - so just in case others might as well:

I've always wondered why I equate gin so strongly with India and the other "colonies" to which the Brits "went out" early in the previous century.  I knew gin wasn't a "New World" invention, having first been distilled in Europe from juniper berries, back in the Middle Ages.

So I did a bit of research.  And it turns out that quinine was really the only accepted treatment for malaria.  They needed something with a strong flavor to offset the bitterness of the quinine.  Gin was just the ticket.  Still is so good with tonic water, even though there's very little quinine (if any) in most modern-day tonic water.

Interesting to me that, from this "spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down" sort of beginning, Gin & Tonic is now one of the world's greatest drinks.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I take quinine for medicinal reasons and the very thought of gin and tonic makes me gag.  Nothing at all against straight gin, an aviation, or death in the gulf stream.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My go-to cocktail has been a gin & tonic for a very long time.

However, I was wanting something different for a change and it occurred to me that what I was looking for was a Clam Digger.  Very good! 

I have a variety of flavored syrups (Monin, Torani, etc.) around for various reasons, and I often find myself making non-alcoholic beverages with them and tonic water. -Kind of like Italian soda. Current favorites include Torani Hazelnut & Tonic and Monin Pomegranate & Tonic, but I have made many other successful combos. I enjoy the refreshing bitterness of tonic on a hot day.

Tonic need not be limited to Gin n' and Vodka n' drinks. Believe it or not, Tequila n' Tonic is really quite good.

Nor does gin have to be limited to tonic (I rarely have a dalliance with vodka). Bitter lemon is often my first and usually preferred choice (as I have noted in the past).

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

We came up with this one when we were working on the recipe book for our Tiki Mixers Kit last year. You can substitute tonic water for the tonic syrup and sparkling water but choose a clean, bitter tonic, nothing too sweet or fruity.

Blackheart’s Punch

• 2 ounces blackstrap rum

• 1/2 ounce cinnamon syrup

• Juice of 1 lime

• 1 ounce tonic syrup 

Shake ingredients with ice, strain into chilled a highball glass, and

fill with sparkling water. Garnish with a lime wedge skewered on a

plastic cocktail sword (eyepatch and parrot are optional).